Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No hot start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john77
Just drove an hour down to Irvine from LA to autocross. Pulled in to get gas just before I got to the track and now the damn car won't start. All I can hear is the fuel pump. Tried whacking the starter with a wrench, but no joy.

The only silver lining is that I paid the extra twenty bucks for the AAA upgrade so I can get towed up to 100 miles for free...
76-914
QUOTE(john77 @ Jun 29 2014, 07:15 AM) *

Just drove an hour down to Irvine from LA to autocross. Pulled in to get gas just before I got to the track and now the damn car won't start. All I can hear is the fuel pump. Tried whacking the starter with a wrench, but no joy.

The only silver lining is that I paid the extra twenty bucks for the AAA upgrade so I can get towed up to 100 miles for free...

Push start it! Also, try sliding the spade fitting on/off the solenoid. They get dirty. Or jump the terminals on the starter.
john77
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 29 2014, 07:22 AM) *

Push start it! Also, try sliding the spade fitting on/off the solenoid. They get dirty. Or jump the terminals on the starter.

You sir, are a god among men!!

Push started it and made tech with 1 min to spare (embarrassingly I really should have known to do that... Well, now I do.)
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(john77 @ Jun 29 2014, 07:52 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 29 2014, 07:22 AM) *

You sir, are a god among men!!

Push started it and made tech with 1 min to spare (embarrassingly I really should have known to do that... Well, now I do.)

A god among men? Naaah, he's from Texas! laugh.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Heat soak. After checking/refurbishing ALL the major grounds, ignition circuit, and battery connections, buy a Bosch new or remanufactured starter. Might wanna install a 6v Ford starter solenoid at the same time, using appropriately sized wire.

The Cap'n
john77
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 29 2014, 08:50 AM) *

Heat soak. After checking/refurbishing ALL the major grounds, ignition circuit, and battery connections, buy a Bosch new or remanufactured starter. Might wanna install a 6v Ford starter solenoid at the same time, using appropriately sized wire.

The Cap'n

Thanks Cap'n, I'll start working through this tomorrow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.