Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sold
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
chad newton
I have a set of 4 lug Dan gurney style wheels with decent rubber left on them that I won't be using. Could use a good polish. 200.00 plus shipping.
chad newton
I want to add the bottom picture shows the back of the rim and the size is 15x5.5. I like them but unfortunately arnt going to work for me anymore.
URY914
Silly question but where are you?
chad newton
Sorry guys, I'm in ventura.
daytona
These are very cool wheels. I just don't know why they are referred to as Dan Gurney style wheels. Any one know the reason?
URY914
I had a set on my car years ago. Mine were sold by American Racing. They were also sold with other names on them. Dan Gurney was just one of the names they were sold under. They were probably all made in the same cast aluminum plant.
euro911
This question comes up from time to time. Te original wheels were designed and manufactured by Jack McAfee ... Click here

"Several years before the Porsche factory offered Fuchs wheels, Jack McAfee sold his own alloy wheels which today are commonly referred to as "McAfee wheels". For owners of disk brake 356 and early 911/912 models, these were a stylish alternative to the stock steel wheel. Keep in mind that even when Porsche first offered Fuchs Alloys in 1967, they were still only 4.5" wide.

McAfee wheels became so popular on the West Coast that a McAfee "clone" wheel was later manufactured by an unknown source (read below). Regarding the manufacturing of McAfee wheels, expensive dies were made that allowed for the wheels to be centrifugally cast at a foundry in Pomona CA. Cragar spinners were used to give a sporty "knock off" look. Today, neither the original dies or foundry exist, making a set of McAfee wheels quite collectible.

Years after the McAfee wheel ceased production, a reproduction or "clone" wheel was produced. This clone wheel is commonly referred to as the "Gurney Western" wheel by VW/Porsche enthusiasts. The easiest way to identify the Gurney Western wheel is to note the absense of the center "snout" that the McAfee wheels have for mounting the spinner.

The McAfee wheel also has the following stampings on the back side: "LOS ANGELES CALIF.", "PATENT PENDING", "SRC 1500" and "15:00 X 550". The Gurney Western wheel has no stampings on the back.

The Gurney Western wheel was also sold in a 4-lug pattern that often still appear on 914s or VWs. Current market value (2010) for a set of polished Gurney Westerns with lug bolts appears to be around $100 per wheel."
daytona
I was sure that someone in this forum would have the story. Granted you could have made this stuff up, but is a good story all the same. At least now I have a story to share. Thanks for the education euro911.
Bill.
URY914
Years ago I remember seeing a 911 with a set that must have been at least 8" wide. Wish I had a pair of those.....
euro911
I have a set of polished 15" 5-luggers for my '66 912 smile.gif

... but then again, I have a set of 14" 5-lug ATS Classics too

- decisions, decisions idea.gif

unsure.gif
chad newton
Alright, I will throw them on craigslist and see if I can get a local person interested.
Cfletch
hey im in SB and interested in these wheels depending on the day this week i would be interested in picking them up? 200?
chad newton
QUOTE(Cfletch @ Jul 7 2014, 02:42 PM) *

hey im in SB and interested in these wheels depending on the day this week i would be interested in picking them up? 200?

Pm sent. That sounds good to me.
chad newton
Sold.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.