Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help me win at autocross
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2
crash914
yep, tires are on the agenda...results won't be posted for a couple of weeks????? but I was around 52 and change ftd was a 49 something. a couple of stock boxters were 51ish. FTD was a turbo 911.....
mskala
Herb,
See about 20 sec in for how to avoid shuffle steering. I always know
exactly where the front wheels are pointing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BQ0Kn97vwg
crash914
Looks good Mark, I will have to give that a try, I was having some problems with the over 180 degrees stuff when I tried it...

video to follow, but today I think i am within 1 to less than 2 seconds from FTD.. Got beat by another 914 that came to play..oh well.

getting better and its looking up...thanks guys!
J P Stein
Other Porsches are no competition.......unless you bring a 908/3. biggrin.gif
This was true before Brit added 150 hp.
Wanna go fast? Just bring money.
You'll note that smoothness is temporary. Brit has "quick hands" and uses them............that is what it takes from the driver aspect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFl0zJtdnQM
crash914
Yep, no cubic $$ here....that is why I only want a top 10...
here is a video of my first run...you will see where I missed the gate..it was fast though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaEsjb5Mx70

my last run should be up soon, faster, smoother but alas no data stream....oh well, need more fancy stuff...
crash914
Ok, here is a video of my fastet run. I just need to go faster! The data logs of my runs show that I was only about .8g's in the turns and i never hit the rev limiter...

I think one datalog showed 1.4 g's though...must be wrong...As you can here, wheel spin on acceleration is a problem also..that is down to needing tires and LSD..again, $$

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq_bW_IQ63Y

mskala
QUOTE(crash914 @ Jul 28 2014, 04:51 PM) *

Ok, here is a video of my fastet run. I just need to go faster! The data logs of my runs show that I was only about .8g's in the turns and i never hit the rev limiter...

I think one datalog showed 1.4 g's though...must be wrong...As you can here, wheel spin on acceleration is a problem also..that is down to needing tires and LSD..again, $$

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq_bW_IQ63Y

Looking better. I don't follow these courses as well as the more obvious runways.
Hard to tell from the vid how bad your tires are.
ChrisFoley
It looked like you were driving a "safe" line.

You need to lean on the tires a bit more - sideways and accel/decel.
crash914
The above event times have been posted..damn...11th. out of 53. 1.3 seconds back..FTD by the M3 bmw that started before me....
Getting better however, Steve Lutz beat me in a stock motor prepped 914....by .75 seconds. (with new hoosiers) so a much better driver....

I think I need an instructor to ride along and talk me through my lines and how much speed I can carry. I am still getting a feel for how much grip these tires really have...it is more than I have found yet...hammmm to run this weekend? I just might!

koozy
Tell me about the data overlay. How do you like it and what hardware are you using for it?
koozy
Get the camera outside the car. You can get much closer to those cones and be more aggressive
crash914
Agreed...I need a camera mount for the outside. I have the rollcage mount for the gopro already..

As far as data collection, I have been trying out lots of stuff.

I am running MegaSquirt, so no ODB2 or other electrical interface.
I wanted to do something with the AIM Solo with Trail brake Matt, but did not want to go to the trouble of installing another data collector...

So, what I figured out is that I already have a bitchin data collector with the mega squirt. I get throttle, Manifold pressure, rpm, fuel flow, AFR and much more. What I didn't have was the GPS data. Palm slap, smart phone!

I added a Qstarz GPS 10hz receiver via Bluetooth, now I can use the phone as a camera and data position collector (no rpm though), I was trying "Track Attack, and RaceRenderHD. ok, looks good. what about my fuel system data? Add Shadowdash for the megasquirt, now I can log everything, speed, G's, rpm, throttle.
Great, but no camera....ok add the gopro and combine both in RaceRender. I am using the free edition now, but will upgrade shortly as it is so easy to use.

I am finding the camera the best tool so far. I can see my hands and position. the data tells me I am nowhere near the limit on G's. The run with data I maxed at somewhere about .8 or .9. I have other data logs up to 1.4...(that is why I know my tires aren't too bad )

Long but I hope this gives you some ideas...
jhadler
At this point, forget all the bells and whistles. Video's nice, but don't go out of your to invest in the technology. What you need is seat time, instruction, and more seat time. Find the local SCCA chapter and see when they're holding their next autox school.

What folks are saying about -smooth- is really important. But smooth does not mean slow. Imagine a chart that shows your acceleration versus time, both longitudinal (acceleration and braking), and lateral (grip when turning). There should never be any discontinuities in that chart line. That means no sharp corners. The slope can be steep, but it shouldn't have any hard corners. The closer you can get to that, the more the tires will grip. Choppy inputs (the discontinuities) are where tires complain, and loose grip, be that under braking, getting on the gas, or turning the wheel.

-Josh
ConeDodger
To improve the driver, do a few track days. Things happen so much slower, though you're going so much faster that you can think your way through cornering - until you don't have to think your way through cornering. Find a good instructor to ride along with you in at least one session per day. Those cornering skills translate to the autocross course. Things happen about 4 times faster on the autocross course though... blink.gif
crash914
See the turning g-force chart in the attached excel file....

I can see quite a bit of correction...

Track days are fun, I just don't like the whole inspection process prior to getting to the event..that and I usually break something. I will be doing some track days soon, just might not be until next year..

Click to view attachment
crash914
fastest time of the day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MrSSoG0mlw
yeahmag
Holy crap that's a tight course with lots of things to hit! I consider myself very spoiled running El Toro with OCR.
mskala
QUOTE(crash914 @ Jul 29 2014, 12:50 PM) *

fastest time of the day...

That guy doesn't seem to be doing anything special and it's not like a
formula car. So with practice and tires you should be up there.
J P Stein
A WAG.
From the sound of things, the fella in the BMW isn't using R spec tires.
Good driving tho.
crash914
Hi Jp,
From what he said, it is a stock M3. He did do coil over, springs and bushings...nothing else. I can't remember what he had for tires. I think they were not R's though. When we were talking I did not know how fast he was, young guy...must have mad video game skills...
Joe Ricard
how to drive a 914
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLSm7iC5KY4...6Cv9l3FVS3ade4A
crash914
Nice, looks real fast!

I am up to 11th...almost reached my goal!
karnak
agree.gif
Lots of great info here. I have some of these issues, but have my car mostly sorted out. I did have 2 sets of the same tires and wanted to use up my older ones. It finally happened. My other set was so much better, I regret not switching sooner. My car, driven by a local PCA member, beat out a GT2.

There, is an interesting example of the importance of the driver.

I am running poly-bronze bushings all round. (In case it matters). I have not seen anyone else mention them here so I am not sure if it it is relevant.

biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
as mentioned above and demonstrated in several videos. DRIVER DRIVER DRIVER.
crash914
UPDATE:

At the last event, after the 1st of 2 run groups I had FTD....

I was shocked....of course all the fast drivers were in the 2nd run group...oh well. I might have a top 5 if I am lucky...
It didn't happen without a video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tsfolkY27A

Thank you everyone for all your help! The best comment I received after the event,

"oh, that's your car? You were sure entertaining!' Must have been all the drifting I was doing.....
koozy
Good job. Hard work pays off. Get some of those fast guys from the second run group to hop in with you and get yourself some fresh rubber.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.