Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Test your 914 Tech Knowledge!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
1. For a 1975-76 California-market 914, a flashing EGR dash light means what?
a. The EGR valve has become too hot.
b. The 30KMI service interval for the EGR system has been reached.
c. The EGR dash light does not flash when it activates.
d. The EGR system needs to be removed to keep this from happening again

Answer: C. The EGR light is only a steady light at 30KMI intervals. The CAT light is also steady at 30KMI and flashes when it overheats.

2. How many different factory 914/4 oil temperature sender wires (green/black stripe) were available through all model years, excluding the chassis harness wiring?
a. 1
b. 2
c. 3
d. 4

Answer: C. 1970-71, sender to ignition harness. 72=none. 1973-76, sender to chassis harness for center console gauge, and center console to dash area for non-center console cars.

3. The 914’s removable hardtops are identical across all model years.
a. True
b. False

Answer: False. Early and late styles are different and not interchangeable

Post more Questions/Answers that might make good Parade 914 tech quiz questions - Share your knowledge.
r_towle
First question made me mad at you .
smile.gif
JeffBowlsby
What...no one wants to play? Here is another:

1. To install H4 headlights into a USA 914, the original factory rubber sealing boot must be replaced also.
a. True
b. False

Answer: True. The factory manual describes replacing the original black rubber boot with a red rubber boot and the transparent electrical connector housing with a polyamide (nylon) connector housing for better heat resistance.
Dave_Darling
I think most of these so far are a bit too fussy for Parade. smile.gif

The top question is a good one, though.

The wires question is unclear.

I've already written up a couple of tech quizzes in the past, most of what comes to mind are questions from those.

--DD
bandjoey
The original Cabin Light has a chrome edge and is made in Mexico
True / False

The original Cabin Light has a White unobtanium switch
True / False

bdstone914
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 2 2014, 09:39 AM) *

What...no one wants to play? Here is another:

1. To install H4 headlights into a USA 914, the original factory rubber sealing boot must be replaced also.
a. True
b. False

Answer: True. The factory manual describes replacing the original black rubber boot with a red rubber boot and the transparent electrical connector housing with a polyamide (nylon) connector housing for better heat resistance.

What original rubber boot?
Never seen one.
JeffBowlsby
This one...
JeffBowlsby
This one...
ClayPerrine
Here are two from some tech quizzes that I wrote in the past.

I will post the right answers tomorrow.

================================

You and a friend go to look at a 914 /6 you saw in the paper. It is advertised as an original six, but your friend says that it can’t be a real six because the key is in the right side of the column rather than in the dash on the left. You look under the dash, and you cannot see any evidence of wiring modifications.

A. Your friend is right, it’s a conversion.
B. It was a factory special order car.
C. It is a real /6, made in 72 with a 4 cylinder column to cut costs.
D. It is a real /6, with a 4 cylinder replacement column installed by a previous owner.

4. The 914/4 was made in eight different varieties. Which of them came from the factory with twin Solex carburetors?

A. Eurospec 1.8L
B. Very early 1.7L
C. Eurospec 2.0L
D. None, all 914 four cylinders came with fuel injection.

76-914
How many cuss words does it require to install springs on a glove box door?

A - None
B - 40-50
C - north of 400
D - All you know plus a few new ones
914_teener
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jul 2 2014, 05:59 PM) *

True / False

True / False

1. False. It has a chrome edge but is made in Germany and is unobtanium.

2. True. ?
bandjoey
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 3 2014, 08:42 AM) *

Here are two from some tech quizzes that I wrote in the past.

I will post the right answers tomorrow.

================================

You and a friend go to look at a 914 /6 you saw in the paper. It is advertised as an original six, but your friend says that it can’t be a real six because the key is in the right side of the column rather than in the dash on the left. You look under the dash, and you cannot see any evidence of wiring modifications.

D. It is a real /6, with a 4 cylinder replacement column installed by a previous owner.

4. The 914/4 was made in eight different varieties. Which of them came from the factory with twin Solex carburetors?

A. Eurospec 1.8L
B. Very early 1.7L
C. Eurospec 2.0L
D. None, all 914 four cylinders came with fuel injection.

-------------------------
C
A

bandjoey
QUOTE(914_teener @ Jul 3 2014, 09:46 AM) *

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jul 2 2014, 05:59 PM) *

True / False

True / False

1. False. It has a chrome edge but is made in Germany and is unobtanium.

2. True. ?

I think u r right. Replacements do not have chrome and come from VW in Mexico, and originals had a white switch vs the black replacement ones.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 3 2014, 06:42 AM) *

Could be A, or C, or D. The ad could be wrong, and it is possible (with a bunch of work!) to swap in a -4 column if the -6 stuff completely fails. Or is burned. And the -6 stuff is much harder to find... Of course, I'm pretty sure you were going for C there, but the others could be argued. And likely thrown out by a protest.

One of the ones from my old quizzes that Clay remembers fondly:

A certain long-haired Californian has stolen all of the round relays from the relay board of Betty's 914! How many will she have to replace so she can chase him down?

A. Depends on if her car is a 1.8 or not.
B. Two
C. Three
D. All four of them

I liked that quiz, it had several "repeating elements" that I thought were clever. One of which was the "Depends on if it is a 1.8 or not" answer; another of which was the "Borrow Mike Z's Sawz-all" answer. (I'm pretty sure that latter one was never the correct answer, but it might have been.... wink.gif )

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.