Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Head light motors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Downerman
So, I have ripped out the modified lights and replaced the entire headlight assembly back to stock. Pulled the light switch and the lights went on but no movement in the arms. (I don't have them connected to the larger arm yet. Got the Pelican parts technical doc which is great by the way. So, I pulled both relays (One at a time) and jumped 30 and 87. SHAZAM got the motors to run on both...again one at a time. Then I'm supposed to turn the light switch on and check for 12 Volts on pin 85. Nothing... on either side. I check the grey wire (Extended control line...one of three going to each motor) and I do have 12V... actually 11.56. I pulled two different sets of relays from the back of the car and tried them.... NADA. Do cam-operated switches in these motors go bad? That's what the Doc is saying but on both of them? It's weird that the same conditions are on both motors.

I'm tempted to just buy a set of motors for parts heaven for $100 and try them but thought I would post here and see if this has happned to anyone else.

Dave
VaccaRabite
If they work when you jump them, then they work.
replace the relays first. then triple check your wiring.

Zach
Downerman
I don't believe that's true per the technical doc that anyone can get on Pelican. You can have power to the motors (Jump them and they run) and still have major issues. Mine according to the Doc, is pointing at a defective cam-operated switch in the motor. I'm just having a hard time digesting that both motors have the same issue.

Dave
mepstein
$100 is a lot for these motors. They rarely go bad so they are still pretty common. A WTB should get you a pair for $50 - or less.
bdstone914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 2 2014, 07:02 PM) *

$100 is a lot for these motors. They rarely go bad so they are still pretty common. A WTB should get you a pair for $50 - or less.

If you actually need them I will sell a pair for $ 50 shipped. I sold yesterday for the first time in ten years. The owner did blow out something inside.
mepstein
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jul 3 2014, 12:56 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 2 2014, 07:02 PM) *

If you actually need them I will sell a pair for $ 50 shipped. I sold yesterday for the first time in ten years. The owner did blow out something inside.

There you go. smile.gif
ClayPerrine
This may help your troubleshooting:

How your headlight motors work.

stugray
Another way to test them to see if the motor works is to manually raise them with the knobs.

If the battery is connected, they will drive themselves closed when you reach to top of the travel with the knob.
Downerman
I love this site. Thanks for the post about motors for $100 as to much which in turn led to the offer for two for $50. I bought them. Hopefully this will fix them and certainly give me something more to troubleshot.

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.