Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: removing rear calipers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mobymutt
For a '74 /4, with stock brakes. I need to adjust the venting, and I can't remove the inner adjuster covers, thus attempting to remove the calipers to get at them. I can't seem to fit a socket and breaker bar in there, what are my best options for tools to get the bolts loose, assuming I'll have to buy something anyway?

Thanks!
Matt
hndyhrr
QUOTE(mobymutt @ Jul 3 2014, 02:51 PM) *

For a '74 /4, with stock brakes. I need to adjust the venting, and I can't remove the inner adjuster covers, thus attempting to remove the calipers to get at them. I can't seem to fit a socket and breaker bar in there, what are my best options for tools to get the bolts loose, assuming I'll have to buy something anyway?

Thanks!
Matt

lets see mine is a 70, the back side mine i had to use a 4mm allen thru the control arm to get the cap off, then the same allen to adjust vent for the back side. to get caliper off I used a big wrench on caliper bolt with urging from a hammer.
SLITS
19mm box end wrench

Needle nose pliers for pad locking pins and e-brake pin

mobymutt
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 3 2014, 06:23 PM) *

19mm box end wrench

Will a standard box end wrench provide enough torque?
hndyhrr
QUOTE(mobymutt @ Jul 3 2014, 03:45 PM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 3 2014, 06:23 PM) *

19mm box end wrench

Will a standard box end wrench provide enough torque?

depends on your strength, i'm a girlie used a baby sledge hammer to help me.
PlantMan
QUOTE(mobymutt @ Jul 3 2014, 02:51 PM) *

Thanks!
Matt

Use some BP Catalyst or WD40 and let them soak an hour or so.
A box wrench should do fine, that is how I removed mine. If you have a Dead blow hammer that would help with loosening them up too. A small section of pipe for extra leverage would be ideal if you can fit it in the well and over your wrench.
That inner adjuster is going to be a pain to get off without removing the caliper.

Good Luck.
Dave_Darling
I dislike the 19mm open-end wrenches in my set. (Craftsman, BTW.) Could have something to do with them rounding off the fill plug on the transmission of my CRX... The jaws would open up enough to slip on the head of the fastener when I really reefed on the wrench.

Box-end wrenches don't do that.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.