Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Saved From the Car Crusher!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
bkrantz
You might already know this, but acid-rusted metal near the battery can be a real b*tch to weld. Before you cut, maybe try sanding through paint and rust to see if you can get clean metal.
PlantMan
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jan 23 2023, 06:37 PM) *

You might already know this, but acid-rusted metal near the battery can be a real b*tch to weld. Before you cut, maybe try sanding through paint and rust to see if you can get clean metal.

10-4, this is good info.
We will mess around with cleaning the area really good and try welding a couple different ways.

Planning out how we will weld this back together with additional reinforcement.

Thanks again!
PlantMan
A little progress over the last couple weeks.

Started removing the rear suspension in order to lighten the car for the rotisserie.
Obviously planning on cleaning everything up as well. The big black bins from Home Depot will be helpful for storage. I have parts to this car everywhere and originally thought I would have enough room for everything. I was wrong.
The Black Bins are helpful and hold a lot!

Click to view attachment

Old floor section and firewall. Going to keep these for awhile for patches if I need them anywhere. The car got picked up once by a forklift and dented the floor pan in a couple spots so I just decide to remove that section and will replace with a new RD rear section.

Click to view attachment

Passenger side motor mount, it is a mess on the back side. Going to see if I can clean this up at all. This is a piece I purchased from a member. True about the rust hiding behind layers!

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Went to Industrial Metal Supply and picked up a bunch of cut-off sections for the rotisserie. For a little over $200 I got want I needed and a set of 6" wheels. Hope to start this project over the weekend.

Click to view attachment

Got a box full of drill bits so I invested in a Drill Dr. The bits I currently have are a lot better than most of the crap available now so I figured for $125 I can re-sharpen the good ones and continue to use them for awhile. So far works pretty good.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

If my real job doesn't get in the way this weekend, I will be able to get more stuff done this weekend!
We will see.
930cabman
What could take a higher priority than repairing a 50 y/o rust hulk?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.