Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel filler cap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhd914
HI, I have a problem on my '73 model. If I have any more than half a tank of fuel, I get a bad fuel smell from front of car. Checked it this morning and the area under the filler cap is wet from fuel sloshing around and coming from under the cap.
Does the later plastic cap seal better?
If so, does it fit an earlier tank? Or do I have to replace the filler neck?
Thanks
Geoff
rmdinmd
you can get a replacement seal from 914rubber.com.
Harpo
The flange on the tanks are the same (early & late) but you would have to change necks

Dave
Mikey914
The flange is the same. Seals are the same. pretty simple job. Check the seal on the VDO sensor while you are there too.
rhodyguy
There should also be a small line that connects to the filler neck that goes to the large plenum type piece on top of the tank, and another that goes to the charcoal cannister. The whole package, along with the new cap seal, needs to be in working order.
bdstone914
Early and late gas caps, filler necks and expansion tanks are not interchangable. The brackets on the tank are different.
The late expansion tank is one piece with the filler as a molded part. The cap is threaded. It will not fit an early filler neck.
There us also a rubber gasket up inside the early cap. They go bad too. I do not think replacements are available.
Harpo
I was able to back date my gas tank components. The bolt pattern on the tank is the same on early & late.

David
bdstone914
QUOTE(Harpo @ Jul 6 2014, 10:57 AM) *

I was able to back date my gas tank components. The bolt pattern on the tank is the same on early & late.

David

The mounting brackets for the expansion tank are different. Did you have a tank with a plastic expansion tank and install a steel one? Maybe you just mounted it to the holes around the filler neck and not the brackets on the tank ? No hood clearance problems?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.