Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I HATE THIS FREAKING CAR
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
spare time toys
I am getting so sick and tired of this dumb ass idea I had. Another fu**%^G problem. they all are on the right side of the engine. Go to finish pulling the heads off for the exhaust stud problem and SNAP one of the bolts for the shit ass casting for the thermostat snaps off. another one for the shop to fix. So I press on to take the left head off and as I am down to the last three cam tower bolts....SNAP the G%& $@mn FU*^$#g allen head wrench breaks off in the bolt head down in the cam tower. Its stuck and I can not get the tip out of the bolt. You can see the tip in the bolt in the photo. I am real close to having a Porsche blow out sale. OR take some of my happy pills.
spare time toys
Here is how long the wrench is
spare time toys
this is how far in it goes
seanery
do you think all this is caused by the motor overheating? or am i just fishing?
SLITS
If you're fishin' you might catch a snapper.

How 'bout salt air from being near the beach for so long?
spare time toys
QUOTE (seanery @ Jan 20 2005, 07:10 PM)
do you think all this is caused by the motor overheating? or am i just fishing?

Heck I dont have any Idea but it is weird how the problems are all on the right side. IPB Image The latest can not be from salt air because it is inside the cam tower
SLITS
Take two stress (happy) pills, and call me in the morning.

It will all work out....just a tad frustrating I see.
Jeroen
that sucks!!!

don't use allen-keys like that for anything that's tight...
their weak and won't take any serious force
If it's more than hand-tight, use an extension

I learned another way. I broke one while trying to loosen a bolt and the f-ing allen-key snapped and the end went straight through my hand IPB Image

IMO, allenbolts suck per definition. It's either this or you strip the heads
SirAndy
PLAN 9 can kiss my ass

damm, you give up easy! IPB Image

i don't know what you were expecting when you decided to put a 20+ year old motor in a 30+ year old car.
you better buy a *lot* more of your happy meds because the problems will just keep coming.

ask me how i know ...
but, for me, that's part of doing a conversion or restauration, something you can be really proud of once you're done and you take her for that first spin around the corner ...

until then,
IPB Image Andy
jr91472
hang in there Larry!!!

have a cold one IPB Image
Bleyseng
yup, if it were easy every fool would be doing it... IPB Image
jr91472
QUOTE (jr91472 @ Jan 20 2005, 04:19 PM)
hang in there Larry!!!

have a cold one IPB Image

and remember, that car has already paid for itself.....free motor!!! IPB Image IPB Image
scruz914
Take the happy pills! Then when all is calm go through all of the things you still need to do on the project. Evaluate what items have a potential of causing problems. The default is all items will have several problems. Before you take on a task tell yourself: there will be problems with this. Then when something happens your cool because you expected it. If all goes smoothly then you are ahead.

Hang in there. This conversion is going to be so cool when it is done.
SLITS
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Jan 20 2005, 05:18 PM)
that sucks!!!

don't use allen-keys like that for anything that's tight...
their weak and won't take any serious force
If it's more than hand-tight, use an extension

I learned another way. I broke one while trying to loosen a bolt and the f-ing allen-key snapped and the end went straight through my hand IPB Image

I hate to agree with the boy from the land of dykes, IPB Image but buy a good set of socket allens.
Dr Evil
Its all about perspective. I expect every bolt to be a problem, every tool to snap, and when 7 out of 8 don't, I feel like I am lucky IPB Image
spare time toys
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Jan 20 2005, 07:18 PM)

I wonder If I couldnt get a regular bolt in there when it goes back together??? IPB Image
scotty b
Take a breath, take a pill, take a big ass hammer to it. IPB Image Wait till you start to torque the heads down after a rebuild and have two of them spin!! I was working on a 356 engine while the guy I used to work for was doing a 928, all of a sudden he shouts F*%&, throws the torque wrench across the room and leaves. IPB Image IPB Image For the rest of the day! Pulled two studs while torquing, long story short, he bought a wrecked customers car and swapped engines!
spare time toys
I think I am at the point Scott was at just before Xmas. I just have a bunch of crap going on at the moment and should step back and take a breath. Speaking of Scott did he ever drive his any further than the video of him going into the garage?
xsboost90
yeah, common problem on the 944's and such. They really liked those damn allen bolts. Calm down, take a happy pill, get a long drill bit and an easy out.
SLITS
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Jan 20 2005, 05:44 PM)
I think I am at the point Scott was at just before Xmas. I just have a bunch of crap going on at the moment and should step back and take a breath. Speaking of Scott did he ever drive his any further than the video of him going into the garage?

No comment!
Joe Ricard
Good tools always make shitty jobs better. I have had these very same problems while turning wrenches in the Navy. multi million dollar deck gun gets put out of commision because the cap screw (allen bolt) snapped off at the head. Vibration can work against a bolt that may have been re used and torqued again.

READ: Bolts shall NOT be used again. My Dept. head flipped his lid when I made my crew buy new cap screws for anything they took apart. Significantly less problems. the pinnacle of my career was 400 rounds of 5"/54 ammunition fired in one day had one micro switch wiggle loose. 18400 lbs of gun powder 28000 pounds of high explosives and steel. Made a real bad day for the bad guys.
redshift
IPB Image It could be worse..

.. it could be raining... IPB Image

This is a fun project, try to always remember that... the moment it gets unfun... walk away for a bit.. curse, post here... then back to fun!

M
rick 918-S
Man your scaring me. I'm not sure I want to take mine apart now! Porsche used cap heads because of the inside location. Can't get a socket inside the cam holder. It sux! IPB Image

Not much you can do now but take a "flat ended" round brass punch and give that bolt a short, sharp, shot! IPB Image Then use a shop vac with a reducer to some small rigid hose that will fit through the hole in the cam holder. Try to suck the sucky broken piece of allen out of the cap head.

On a positive note. The flywheel should be done. I tried to get over the the machine shop today to check but they were closed when I got there. I'm going before noon tomorrow. IPB Image
jim912928
don't laugh as this may seem really stupid...but put a drop of super glue on the end of the allen bolt and push it back onto the broken off piece...hopefully after 30 seconds or so it will bond enough to pull out?
rick 918-S
QUOTE (jim912928 @ Jan 20 2005, 05:28 PM)
don't laugh as this may seem really stupid...but put a drop of super glue on the end of the allen bolt and push it back onto the broken off piece...hopefully after 30 seconds or so it will bond enough to pull out?

I like that one
jwalters
IPB Image Take an appropriate size straight punch and wind as many turns of 24 ga wire around it from top to bottom to make an electromagnet- just leave enough of the punch tip free so it will fit into the hole--or use a very long slender nail spike with the point ground to a flat---hook this up ( one wire from both ends of punch ) and connect it to a low power battery charger..uhh, umm, you don't got no pace maker do ya?? Not poking fun--but this puppy will hold about 125-400 lbs of pull strength-( the more juice you run thru it the stronger it is )-but also will make your TV, ( within about 50' away, ) screen turn a permanent green.. IPB Image ...Don't ask how I came about that one---long time ago in Navy land........... IPB Image

Have I ever said how much I like south Florida???? NO// I LOVE IT!!!!!!! i.e.--see avatar
spare time toys
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Jan 20 2005, 08:21 PM)
Man your scaring me. I'm not sure I want to take mine apart now!

On a positive note. The flywheel should be done. I tried to get over the the machine shop today to check but they were closed when I got there. I'm going before noon tomorrow. IPB Image

Oh come on jump in the waters fine IPB Image Ill get it out and all will be well in the world once more. I wonder if ARP makes a fastener kit for these? Ill have all new hardware anyway so in 20 years the next guy will get the fun. Glad to hear about the flywheel Im going to make Hotel res for Tuesday night in DesMoines.
scotty b
DAMN J that girls gotta zipper where her whipper should be!!
Joe Bob
I've seen thicker dental floss... IPB Image
skline
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Jan 20 2005, 04:44 PM)

I drove it to the corner and back, still needs some little things finished up and then body and paint work.
bondo
I have a magnet thingie that is basically a telescoping radio antenna with a neodymium magnet glued on the end. One of those might work.
spare time toys
QUOTE (skline @ Jan 20 2005, 09:03 PM)
I think I am at the point Scott was at just before Xmas.  I just have a bunch of crap going on at the moment and should step back and take a breath.  Speaking of Scott did he ever drive his any further than the video of him going into the garage?

I drove it to the corner and back, still needs some little things finished up and then body and paint work.

WAY TO GO IPB Image Will it be done for WCC05?
skline
It will be at the WCC, dont know for sure if it will be painted by then or not but it will be there.
Aaron Cox
Have You Tried C H O P S T I C K S ? ? ? ? IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
spare time toys
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 20 2005, 09:15 PM)
Have You Tried C H O P S T I C K S ? ? ? ? IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

You crack me up IPB Image
dakotaewing
Larry -
Are you going to be in Palestine tomorrow? Call me on my cell, and check your PM's
Thom
McMark
Doesn't help your problem (SUCKS!), but I had the heads off my 928 multiple times without a problem. I though overheat issues too sean. You might want to have your machine shop check to make sure the heads aren't warped while you have them off. I would definitely get one of the LONG allen sockets for that size. I don't think any decent sized sockets fit down in there, so you have to use an allen head. Might be able to go Torx?
redshift
QUOTE (mikez @ Jan 20 2005, 09:40 PM)
I've seen thicker dental floss... IPB Image

You USE thicker dental floss..

oh.... IPB Image

M
redshift
QUOTE (dakotaewing @ Jan 20 2005, 10:36 PM)
Larry -
Are you going to be in Palestine tomorrow? Call me on my cell, and check your PM's
Thom

Palestine? Cell?

What's this?

oh.... IPB Image

M
spare time toys
QUOTE (redshift @ Jan 20 2005, 10:19 PM)
QUOTE (dakotaewing @ Jan 20 2005, 10:36 PM)
Larry -
Thom

Palestine? Cell?

What's this?

oh.... IPB Image

M

Its a covert operation strictly on the QT IPB Image 914y type stuff. I got my sawzall ready IPB Image I tossed in the floor jack also just incase because you never know IPB Image I sent you a pm with my cell # Ill call on the way down. I am also bringing the camera
dakotaewing
Did'nt get your PM.... I am packed and ready to go, just need to stop for gas....
Call me in the morning - I still don't have ypur cell -
Thom
JB 914
Speaking of Scott did he ever drive his any further than the video of him going into the garage?

Scott reached his pain threshold on the V-8. Since it no longer stimulates his need for frustration he is thinking of buying an old Pacer and putting a 356 motor in it. IPB Image
DJsRepS
Try 3/8 drive SnapOn allan drive socket for the rest. Ive seen allan wrenches twist like a candycane or just plain strip but I never had one snap off like that. I am assumeing the broke off tool is jammed in the allan bolt and not about to lift out with an maganet.... Try a hi speed rotary tool and grind off the whole thing ?
spare time toys
QUOTE (joe buckle @ Jan 21 2005, 01:14 AM)
Scott reached his pain threshold on the V-8. Since it no longer stimulates his need for frustration he is thinking of buying an old Pacer and putting a 356 motor in it. IPB Image

If he wanted a Pacer he should have kept this 928. Did you ever notice they look like a chop top Pacer from the back? I said that to one of the guys at a 928 function and he failed to see the humor in it. IPB Image
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Jan 21 2005, 05:13 AM)
QUOTE (joe buckle @ Jan 21 2005, 01:14 AM)
Scott reached his pain threshold on the V-8.  Since it no longer stimulates his need for frustration he is thinking of buying an old Pacer and putting a 356 motor in it. IPB Image

If he wanted a Pacer he should have kept this 928. Did you ever notice they look like a chop top Pacer from the back? I said that to one of the guys at a 928 function and he failed to see the humor in it. IPB Image

Pacer ha ha. Perfect come back to that is "OK I'll set the pace you follow me. If you start falling back tough shit"
jim912928
IPB Image Pacer! them is fightin words! (laughing)
MecGen
I feel your pain... IPB Image
20 years of twisting wrenches IPB Image
Joe
spare time toys
Hey who changed my heading?? and when? I may need your help with one more IPB Image Posable name change for PLAN 9
Rusty
I did. PM me. IPB Image

-Rusty IPB Image
spare time toys
OK I tried the electro magnet with a long socket extension. I did find out my charger crapped out so I had the big idea to use jumpers off the Battery. IPB Image Wow did I make a good heater IPB Image Melted the cover off the wire in like 3 seconds. Ill try again when I get a new charger.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.