Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door braces
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914itis
In the coming days, I will be installing an outer long stiffning kit from brad.
I know that I will need door braces.
Where do I get a set ? and do I need to remove the doors to install them?
76-914
You don't "need" door braces but it's not a bad idea if your concerned. Myself and others have done it w/o the braces and w/o incident. When welding, I did 3 welds per side spaced as far apart as possible then moved to the other side and repeated. Keep an air hose close for cooling, if needed. Never let the surface get too hot. IOW, if you can put your cheek against it, your good. Put some masking tape next to the door gap and write down the gap measurements before you start welding. Check those gaps frequently as you weld. I think I experienced 1mm shrinkage but I forget. Look back at the beginning of my build thread and it is outlined. Another member posted the same results that I had doing it the same way.
EDIT: Shit; I just read your's is the outer so I can't speak to that one> Mine was an inner long kit. Sorry.
injunmort
you can make them if so inclined but I think it is easier just buy from racer chris. I used mine on three different cars. they come in handy.
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(injunmort @ Jul 13 2014, 08:23 AM) *

you can make them if so inclined but I think it is easier just buy from racer chris. I used mine on three different cars. they come in handy.

agree.gif
I spent a bunch of time trying to go cheap and make some. In the end I wasn't happy with the results, I finally broke down and bought Chris'. Should have done that first, I really like them.
rgalla9146
Hey Paul
Come get 'em
Came from Luke Martini with the GT project.
Not being used right now.
Fixed length. Top door hinge-to-shoulder belt mount.
Doors off.
Rory
Elliot Cannon
If your welding skills are good enough to install the stiffening kit (assuming you are doing the instalation), you should be able to make your own door braces. I made mine and it was a lot easier to make them than it was to install the Egman inner long kit. biggrin.gif
914itis
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jul 13 2014, 01:44 PM) *

Hey Paul
Come get 'em
Came from Luke Martini with the GT project.
Not being used right now.
Fixed length. Top door hinge-to-shoulder belt mount.
Doors off.
Rory

Sounds good Rorry. Will pick them up when I come to Ray's event .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.