Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 76 Exhaust different?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1bad914
Just dropped a 2.0 out of a 76 914 and the exhaust is different, the HE's do not attach directly to the heads, but are attached to a double j-tube type setup that attaches to the heads. Plus this thing has a really funky exhaust, it looks like the typical 4 tip monza, but is not solid accross the muffler area, each bank has it's own muffler with a balance tube between the muffs. It is heavy as hell to. Seems I remember reading about the 76 exhuast system being different?? I'll post pics later if nescessary.
Gustl
I've never heard about different stock exhausts in '76

when I got you correct, it sounds like an aftermarket exhaust from ANSA IPB Image
but hard to tell, without pics IPB Image
Mueller
the '75/'76 cars have a totally different design exhaust system than the '74 and older cars.

the muffler sounds like it's an aftermarket unit, probebly good for making noise and not doing anything benifical IPB Image
1bad914
I've had monza's before, they make the fart can ricers jealous, but that's about it! IPB Image Thanks Mueller, I thought I had heard that , but could not remember. This motor has me guessing, the heads are 3 bolt, but the case ID number is not where I expect it! I'm going to take a better look today!
Gustl
does it look like this one?
Joe Bob
75-76 2.0s were designed to make use of a catalytic converter. The exhaust flanges were triangular and used three bolts to hold on the muffler.

The 75 1,8 was also differrent...
1bad914
That's it! Is that exhaust any good or just like a monza?
Gustl
QUOTE (1bad914 @ Jan 21 2005, 04:47 PM)
That's it! Is that exhaust any good or just like a monza?

now I'm not so sure if that was for me IPB Image

if so, I can tell you that the ANSA exhaust is an extreme rare find
this one is street legal in germany, the monza exhaust NOT
the ANSA isn't available for a long time
the last one I've seen on eBay (in really good shape / NOS) about half a year ago sold for more than 200 $
this exhaust is the only street legal 4-pipe in germany
1bad914
UI have one, and it is in good shape, kind of cool!
Gustl
now that's funny ... look what I've found while surving throug eBay IPB Image
Brando
Hey, I just got one of those! Granted it's got surface rust and the tips aren't as shiny...
McMark
I always had the opinion that ANSA made good exhaust in general, but they aren't producing for 914 anymore. Anything that looks like an ANSA is a Monza or knock-off and is cheap crap.
SLITS
There's something about an Italian name on my German windsucker that just drives me insane. IPB Image
Mike D.
3 bolt is 2.0...all '76 were 2.0...
and the monza/anza what ever four tip mufflers don't do anything for a stock FI engine, except make noise. They don't put enough back pressure on the flow and lose low end torque.

Enjoy...
Gustl
QUOTE (McMark @ Jan 22 2005, 01:51 AM)
I always had the opinion that ANSA made good exhaust in general, but they aren't producing for 914 anymore.  

You're right - as far as I know the ANSA 4-pipe for the teener isn't available for about 10 years

The above pic with the part number is a scan out from a 15 year old catalogue from germany's first 914 parts dealer.
Brando
QUOTE (Mike D. @ Jan 22 2005, 12:39 AM)
3 bolt is 2.0...all '76 were 2.0...
and the monza/anza what ever four tip mufflers don't do anything for a stock FI engine, except make noise. They don't put enough back pressure on the flow and lose low end torque.

Enjoy...

Making noise is the reason I chose it. I prefer the sound of an Anza/Monza exhaust to stock. Just sounds better to me IPB Image

Now, if I had a six... IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.