Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GPS speedometers ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
matthepcat
Hey all,

Anyone ever use the GPS based speedometers in a car?

Look here: http://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GR4-GPS-03T/...-and-high-beam)

I am considering one for my car and like the idea of not having to run a speedo cable back to my trans( car currently does not have a speedometer)

Thoughts or experience with these?

IPB Image

76-914
I've got one but haven't run the car yet. Quick install. You can wire them so that it is always ready or std mode which requires that it initialize each time.
wndsnd
I like that,

And it would autocompensate for any odd tire wheel combinations!

I would want to get a black bezel though..

John
matthepcat
Exactly, and they are fully customizable with colors and fonts etc. the digital readout has multiple functions like elevation and 0-60 timer....very cool unit without looking too race car digital dash.

QUOTE(wndsnd @ Jul 15 2014, 07:50 AM) *

I like that,

And it would autocompensate for any odd tire wheel combinations!

I would want to get a black bezel though..

John
Matt Romanowski
I use GPS speed all the time in race cars. What do they use for an antenna and where does it have to be placed? The only other problems that can occur is loss of the signal, which could happen on tree covered roads, canyons, cities, etc. I doubt that would be too much of a problem though.

Interesting note is that the GPS signals from the satellites are only 50 watts. Compare that to your local radio station!
matthepcat
Its just a little flat puck style antenna that can sit on your dash, or even works under fiberglass.

Much easier to run a wire through the car than a mechanical cable.

Matt

QUOTE(Matt Romanowski @ Jul 15 2014, 08:11 AM) *

I use GPS speed all the time in race cars. What do they use for an antenna and where does it have to be placed? The only other problems that can occur is loss of the signal, which could happen on tree covered roads, canyons, cities, etc. I doubt that would be too much of a problem though.

Interesting note is that the GPS signals from the satellites are only 50 watts. Compare that to your local radio station!

Krieger
I have used one. Mine is a little different though. Heads up display style. I love it. There is no external antenna, but mine does have a port to add one. Speed is within 2mph of my droid based Harry's Lap Timer at 104 mph, also no antenna.
Krieger
It was $67 shipped on Amazon. I wired in a power port. Thin film on windshield, small unit velcrowed to dash.
ClayPerrine
I have a GPS speedo in my car.

I used the factory 911 Electronic speedo, and an autometer adapter. It works great.

Here's my thread on it - 911 Factory Electronic Speedo Driven By GPS.

I sent my speedometer out to North Hollywood Speedo to be rebuilt and converted to a 200MPH scale. It will also have a custom touch on the gauge face. I will post pictures of it when I get it installed in the car.

Krieger
No matter what speedo you have in the stock location you might not be able to see your speed without moving your head all over. A smaller steering wheel blocks a large chunk of the speedo. I noticed this at my first DE and did not like it at all.
worn
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Jul 15 2014, 06:38 AM) *

Hey all,

Anyone ever use the GPS based speedometers in a car?

Look here: http://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GR4-GPS-03T/...-and-high-beam)

I am considering one for my car and like the idea of not having to run a speedo cable back to my trans( car currently does not have a speedometer)

Thoughts or experience with these?

I bought a little GPS receiver from aircraft spruce for about $100. It gets the satellite info (US and Russian) and feeds it to blue tooth. So there are tons of apps that you can get for iPad, iPod, iPhone android etc. They are cheap and include maps and heads up display if you want. I like it better than a normal GPS car unit because it actually lets you use maps! Instead of constantly having to fight to find out where you are relative to say the state, you can zoom to where you want it and let it follow along. No irritating voices and it will give you speed or whatever the app chooses to use. Non-standard I admit. It gathers info fast enough to follow you around the track I think. More accurate than a smart phone too.
matthepcat
Wow. super cool guys. Sounds like there are lots of options out there cheaper than $300.

Appreciate the input from your experience.
stugray
I use an old droid phone and the torque app.

total $6. It can log your track times too.
bandjoey
Used these 2 app on my phone for years. Cost ? FREE.
Naturally it's not as cool as Clays but it's accurate. The second one works heads up at night or a clouds dark day.
02loftsmoor
I think Clay's car will do over 200
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(02loftsmoor @ Jul 15 2014, 03:14 PM) *

I think Clay's car will do over 200

Uh...No. Not even going to try. But I wanted the speedo like that just to freak people out.

JRust
I have that one from Speedhut in my Suby conversion. Love it! Always works even through tunnels. I've change tire & wheels a couple times. Doesn't matter what tire your running. It's always right on. I highly recommend them although I put a smaller steering wheel on. I had to move my speedo to the center as the wheel pretty much cut off the 60-90mph range. Works perfect in the center though
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.