Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Floor panel deflectors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cpavlenko
Sooooooo, my early 71 914 doesn't have floor panel deflectors. Will it help with cooling, and how do you put them on. I do know they were stock on 73 on 914s, Curious. idea.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(cpavlenko @ Jul 16 2014, 05:36 PM) *

Sooooooo, my early 71 914 doesn't have floor panel deflectors. Will it help with cooling, and how do you put them on. I do know they were stock on 73 on 914s, Curious. idea.gif

Yes, they will help. They are screwed to metal tabs on the lower edge of the firewall.

There is at least one thread here that shows the exact placement of those, which is critical for full cooling.
smile.gif
cpavlenko
How go I go about getting thread?
mepstein
I have a set for sale. $50 shipped. Email mark@markepstein.net if you'd like to buy.
SirAndy
QUOTE(cpavlenko @ Jul 16 2014, 05:44 PM) *

Search? confused24.gif

I believe Dave Darling was posting in that thread ...
idea.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 16 2014, 07:50 PM) *

QUOTE(cpavlenko @ Jul 16 2014, 05:44 PM) *

Search? confused24.gif

I believe Dave Darling was posting in that thread ...
idea.gif

Found this:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1617405

Also note that they mount "backwards" with the curvature going against the air flow to maximize turbulence.
sunglasses.gif
cpavlenko
Thanks SirAndy, much appreciated.
Elliot Cannon
PM bdstone. He's probably got some for ya.
edwin
I've been thinking about this recently.
What would running a deeper section of stiff rubber across the full width and back along the sides a little do for cooling?
Mainly because I'm in Australia so shipping on these would be relatively painful.
Cheers
Edwin
SirAndy
QUOTE(edwin @ Jul 17 2014, 01:27 AM) *
What would running a deeper section of stiff rubber across the full width and back along the sides a little do for cooling?

That might not be as efficient. They are placed to specifically aid the air flow where the air comes down from the cylinders.

When you look at the underside with the car on the lift, you can see that Porsche was aiming for those two spots in particular to help with moving the hot air away from under the cylinders.

A lip over the full width might actually hinder cooling ...
idea.gif

PS: Are you running a rear valance? That will trap hot air. Also, unless you go over 100mph on a regular basis, no front air damn will help with cooling as well.
cpavlenko
Can anybody take pictures for placement on both sides. I have a haynes manual that shows measurements, but picture not to good. I've heard placement is very important. idea.gif
7TPorsh
there is a pic in the Haynes manual...dont have it handy.
cpavlenko
Yea, I c the pic on haynes manual, not to good. Shows measurements, but is placement important. I've heard it is.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 17 2014, 12:28 PM) *

QUOTE(edwin @ Jul 17 2014, 01:27 AM) *

That might not be as efficient. They are placed to specifically aid the air flow where the air comes down from the cylinders.

When you look at the underside with the car on the lift, you can see that Porsche was aiming for those two spots in particular to help with moving the hot air away from under the cylinders.

A lip over the full width might actually hinder cooling ...
idea.gif

PS: Are you running a rear valance? That will trap hot air. Also, unless you go over 100mph on a regular basis, no front air damn will help with cooling as well.

Andy... I think you are wrong about this..... but I could be wrong too.

If you put a strip across the whole width of the engine compartment, you create a low pressure area behind it. That will help pull air through the engine and out the back. That's why it works to remove the rear valence, it allows more of the low pressure area behind the car to pull air from under it.

If you really want to increase cooling and downforce, reverse the airflow over the engine. Pull air from the bottom, and exhaust it out the top. The Chaparrell sucker cars did this in 1970 Can am series.

"Officially known as the 2J, the 1970 Chaparral has gone into history as the 'sucker car'. Setting aside his long experience with wings and aerofoil, Hall found a completely new way of generating downforce and without the penalty of additional drag. Using a Rockwell snowmobile engine, all the air was sucked from underneath the car creating a low pressure area; the 2J was literally sucked to the ground. The two cylinder engine was installed on top of the gearbox and the air was blown out the back by two large fans. The area was sealed off by lexan skirts that were connected to the suspension to keep them attached to the ground at all time."

One of the problems a 914 has at high speed is the body starts to lift in the front. Adding a air dam at the front improves it tremendously. It also improves the airflow through the GT oil cooler because the exit is in the low pressure area behind the air dam.

I have considered trying this for a long time. I am going to make a strip from rubber and run it the width of my car. I will let everyone know if it works or not.

damesandhotrods

If you really want to increase cooling and downforce, reverse the airflow over the engine. Pull air from the bottom, and exhaust it out the top. The Chaparrell sucker cars did this in 1970 Can am series.

Mark Donohue managed to get Porsche to try this very idea with 917/10. It didn’t work…

luskesq
This link has a pic or two regarding placement (not very good) but when I did '70 I relied on the Haynes measurements. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=102763

Keith
SirAndy
QUOTE(cpavlenko @ Jul 17 2014, 03:20 PM) *

Yea, I c the pic on haynes manual, not to good. Shows measurements, but is placement important. I've heard it is.

The link i gave you above shows you the exact measurement of where they are mounted ...
shades.gif
dale73914
hmmm, i only remember seeing one of these under my car.

Might have to have a look tonight when i get home from work.

Edwin, if i remember correctly , your in Melbourne too.
If i have two, and you want to see them as a point of reference, your more than welcome to come over and have a snoop.

Cheers

Dale

pete000
Would a 914-6 benefit from these?
cpavlenko
Thanks for the link SirAndy...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.