Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: Turbo Tie Rod Wrench
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
dlee6204
I made this wrench to easily convert over to Turbo tie rods. One end fits the retaining locking nut on a stock inner tie rod. The other end is the correct size to tighten the turbo tie rod. It's makes changing them over a breeze. $20 shipped conus.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914Sixer
I'll take it
euro911
Dang it, Mark slap.gif

Can you make another one, Doug? happy11.gif
914Sixer
Doug,
You can hang on to it and make a pattern if needed for Mark. No rush on it.
Thanks,
Mark
dlee6204
No worries. I was going to have more cut out anyway so I'll reserve one with your name on it. beerchug.gif
Zimms
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Jul 17 2014, 07:34 AM) *

No worries. I was going to have more cut out anyway so I'll reserve one with your name on it. beerchug.gif

Any chance of doing a group buy?
koozy
Yea, I'd take one as well
Kansas 914
QUOTE(koozy @ Jul 17 2014, 08:04 AM) *

Yea, I'd take one as well

I would be in for one as well - thanks!
carr914
I'll get one if you make it!
rhodyguy
Very cool! I'd take one too. If you could fab one in that style that would ACTUALLY fit and hold the castellated nuts on the ball joints I bet could could sell 100s. Is the same nut used on 911/912s?
Harpo
Sign me up as well please
dlee6204
Well looks like there's quite a bit of interest in these. I'll work on getting more made and final pricing. Ill keep everyone informed and will probably start a separate thread. Cool. shades.gif
bdstone914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 17 2014, 03:17 PM) *

Very cool! I'd take one too. If you could fab one in that style that would ACTUALLY fit and hold the castellated nuts on the ball joints I bet could could sell 100s. Is the same nut used on 911/912s?

That would take a more beefy tool. They require about 200 ft lbs of torque. A forged impact socket would be great. I use a socket for 4 we spindle nuts that is 2mm too big. I lined it with magnetic tape and it works on most of them.
Bruce
bdstone914
[quote name='bdstone914' date='Jul 17 2014, 04:51 PM' post='2062559']
[quote name='rhodyguy' post='2062527' date='Jul 17 2014, 03:17 PM']
[/quo

Yes 911 and 912 use the same ball joint ring.

That would take a more beefy tool. They require about 200 ft lbs of torque. A forged impact socket would be great. I use a socket for 4 we spindle nuts that is 2mm too big. I lined it with magnetic tape and it works on most of them.
Bruce
[/quote]
tweet
I'm in for one as well. You may want to put a brand or logo on them; maybe even apply for a patent.
hblyle
I'm in for one if it happens!
bdstone914
A similar tool to remove the strut insert retaining nut would be useful.
dlee6204
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jul 18 2014, 12:25 AM) *

A similar tool to remove the strut insert retaining nut would be useful.

I can easily make one for those too. Good suggestion!
luskesq
I'd be in for one also.

Keith
GaroldShaffer
I'm in for one also beer.gif
Sfreeman615

I'll take one!
gcrotvik
Put me on the list for both! Thanks.
euro911
QUOTE(gcrotvik @ Jul 18 2014, 10:22 AM) *
Put me on the list for both! Thanks.
Oh, cool. I'd buy one of each as well, Doug. Thanks for interjecting, Bruce thumb3d.gif
dlee6204
It'll be a week or two before I can get a prototype for the strut wrench.

I also placed the order today with the laser cutter so I should have a bunch of tie rod wrenches coming next week. smile.gif
dlee6204
I made a group buy in the garage...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=239624

Note: The price is slightly higher in the GB than in this ad. This is because I originally cut my personal wrench at my work but now that I'm making some to sell, I have to outsource the labor and have to consider that into the costs.
rhodyguy
Still fair pricing.
Gint
I have a tool for it, but I'd prefer one of those. Sign me up too.
jim_hoyland
Will the tools handle the heavy torque without breaking ? Just curious
jim_hoyland
jim_hoyland
jimkelly
I was wondering...

dlee6204
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 18 2014, 08:36 PM) *

It worked just fine when I've used it. I'm not sure anything is really under "heavy" torque. I'm able to remove the stock retaining nut with just medium hand pressure. The correct tool makes all the difference.
scotty b
Doug, feel free to copy this if you want. It's the strut wrench I made. Dual sided to cover all options smile.gif
kid914
in for 1
beerchug.gif
rgalla9146
Me too.
But I have to ask.
I've always wondered how others have held the shaft that you are tightening onto.
To me it feels like I'm torturing the pinion gear if I simply use a Channel Lock or a tool like this without counter-holding the rack shaft.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.