Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: repro 914-6 emblem is wrong size
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson
I just got a repro 914-6 emblem from AA and it's too small by almost 1/4". The mounting pegs do not line up with the factory holes. Otherwise it looks ok, but the dashes between the numbers are thicker than the original.

But, I don't want to put more holes in my rear panel. Maybe I'll just try to figure out how to replate my original emblem...

-Steve

siverson
More

siverson

siverson

toolguy
Typical AA quality. . I tried one of their Six emblems 3 years ago but after going thru 3 with all having the same extremely poor plating, I just put my original one back on. . better a little wear than an outright crappy copy. I never tried to mount theirs so that may have been an issue all along. . Who knows but them, and they wouldn't even think of disclosing it
SirAndy
Cut it apart at one of the dashes, space it correctly, bond it in place with a thin layer of fiberglass and resin on the back of the emblem.

Then fill in the gap with more resin, sand, prime and paint the filler and you're good to go!
smile.gif
JmuRiz
Most, if not all, repo parts are "off"
Same thing happened with a local 356 owner when he got parts to rebuild his car. Everything was a bit off and not quite the same look as original.
rjames
I'm constantly amazed that someone can take the time to produce things like this but not care to get it right.

914Mels
QUOTE(siverson @ Jul 17 2014, 09:45 AM) *

Years back when I worked at a Toyota dealer, we had a gold plating machine to add gold to the metal car emblems. You didn't even need to remove them from the car. it used real gold, I forget how the process actually worked but it looked as good as the factory gold emblems you could buy from the parts department and was way cheaper. you could probably call around and find a shop that still does this.
siverson
Dumb question: is the factory emblem metal? Who can refinish it? Who does that?

-Steve
hblyle
Click to view attachment
They are fine for custom applications, if two of the pins line up cut one off or cut two off and just have one holding it on? I would hate to drill a hole!
Sea Dragon 914
this is a bummer. Back in the old days, they had some pretty good stuff. I remember ordering side stripes for one of my cars and it was a darn good reproduction. I recently ordered a set for my LE as I was thinking about re-painting it and the set I got isn't even close to the factory (I have a factory sets of Saturn yellow and grasshopper green). I guess George's QC has gone down hill.

QUOTE(toolguy @ Jul 17 2014, 09:48 AM) *

Typical AA quality. . I tried one of their Six emblems 3 years ago but after going thru 3 with all having the same extremely poor plating, I just put my original one back on. . better a little wear than an outright crappy copy. I never tried to mount theirs so that may have been an issue all along. . Who knows but them, and they wouldn't even think of disclosing it

carr914
QUOTE(rjames @ Jul 17 2014, 04:13 PM) *

I'm constantly amazed that someone can take the time to produce things like this but not care to get it right.

Even worse when they had a Real One to Copy from!
914Sixer
Check with Caswell Plating for the kits to refinish emblem. BUT they will not be cheap.
mepstein
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 17 2014, 08:08 PM) *

QUOTE(rjames @ Jul 17 2014, 04:13 PM) *

Even worse when they had a Real One to Copy from!

I'm sure GH would claim his is right and Porsche got it wrong.
McMark
Look into gold leafing (gilding). It would probably need to be clear coated to keep it looking nice. This isn't a great example, but gives you the idea. With some practice you can to some really great looking stuff.
infraredcalvin
Google a metal plating company in SD, there are many, take it in and ask them about it. If they're any good they will be able to identify the process just by taking a look. Take it to a couple of different places until you're comfortale. It should be fairly cheap (and easy) for them to do.

The home kits like Caswell take right equipment, setup and practice. You'll be in several hundred before you even start, and that's if you use stuff you have or half ass it. Decent warmers, pumps, aerators and the kit you'll be in at about 1k.
pete000
Why would you buy anything from AA ?
siverson
> Why would you buy anything from AA ?

I know, I'm an idiot. I forget not to do that every 5 years or so... But, with a little effort, they did refund my purchase. Yay.

And I bought another "NOS 914-6 emblem" from AASE for $$$, and while it is very nice and nearly perfect, I wouldn't call it NOS because it clearly has been mounted before. But it will do.

-Steve

Socalandy
QUOTE(siverson @ Jul 17 2014, 03:13 PM) *

Dumb question: is the factory emblem metal? Who can refinish it? Who does that?

-Steve

I had mine re finished and it came out nice.
siverson
So... what is the original gold emblem finished in? Is it gold? bronze? something else?

-Steve
Hank914
If not AA, then where is a good place to get the "914" and also the "1.7". My PO did the Porsche reflector, and I'm thinking about going back to the stock look with the badges.
siverson
and i had my original emblem re-plated, but in real gold. i dont think thats the "correct" finish, but it looks very nice and is super flat.
SirAndy
smilie_pokal.gif
914Sixer
My understanding is that Porsche now has the 914 USA badges back in stock. Seems like I saw the info on the Porsche Classics section.
sbsix
I'm afraid that when we start plating emblems in solid gold I'm going to have to find another hobby!
siverson
> I'm afraid that when we start plating emblems in solid gold I'm going to have to find another hobby!

Any material used is going to be super thin - it really doesn't effect the price. It's all in the prep/labor.

-Steve
EdwardBlume
Where do you live, work or park again? av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.