Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB 914 Tie Rod End Boots
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
doit2xs
Hi, does anyone have to sell or know where to buy just the tie rod end boots?

Thanks, Don
Tom_T
IIRC it's the same steering rack as the 911/912/930 of that era, so the boots should also be the same -

....but maybe someone else more up to speed on it can confirm that???

If so, then Porsche dealers &/or Porsche Classic, plus maybe Mikey914 & PMB & Sierra Madre & other vendors on here, Stoddards in OH & Einmalig in CA & AutoAtlanta in GA area all likely sources.

You'll probably also need new cir-clips (4 fasteners - 2 each side & 1 each end of the boot) for the ends, since aftermarket screw-type bands put too much pressure below the screw device & deform the seal - letting dust & water inside. Those may be harder, but possible at those same sources.
bdstone914
Sounds like you need the outer tie rod boots. I do not know of a source for them. I think Tom was describing the steering rack boots that go on the inner tie rod ends.
euro911
Arizona Autohaus ... azautohaus.com
bdstone914
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 19 2014, 10:14 PM) *

Arizona Autohaus ... azautohaus.com

I do not see that they carry the tie rod boots but the tie rod ends are only $14. Pelican is $36. For that price you might as well just replace the tie rod end.
euro911
93034719102 Rack & Pinion Boot; Left/Right $10.88 ea.

Click here my friends biggrin.gif
bdstone914
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 20 2014, 10:25 AM) *

93034719102 Rack & Pinion Boot; Left/Right $10.88 ea.

Click here my friends biggrin.gif

As he said tie rod boot
Not rack and pinion.
euro911
And what, pray tell, is the difference ?

Click to view attachment

The tie rods connect to the ends of the rack and pinion shaft. The boots cover the same joint, so whether they're call 'tie rod' boots or 'rack & pinion' boots is irrelevant.

Educate me confused24.gif

EDIT: If you need to replace the rubber cover ('boot' ?) on the outer end of the tie rod, it's time for a new tie rod end, not a boot

Oh God ... I'm becoming Krusty headbang.gif
doit2xs
Hi, I replaced everything with the kit in the pic in 2006-07. Car sat till now, all boots look like they are 60 years old. 1200 miles was put on car after installing so everything is tight. Just need new boots. Called Automobile Atlanta ordered rack boots only they said no tie rod boots. What they sent was rack boots for stock tie rod setup. Looks like it will not work. So no one sells just the boots for the turbo Tie Rods?

Thanks Guys
914Sixer
Try looking up VW Bug boots. They should be the same size I think. EIS Parts has them for $4.
euro911
QUOTE(doit2xs @ Jul 20 2014, 01:18 PM) *
... So no one sells just the boots for the turbo Tie Rods?
confused24.gif

Revisit post #6 above and click on the link. These are the boots for the Lemforder turbo tie rods (or steering rack boots, whatever one wishes to call them). I guess other places sell boots, but I bought the same Lemforder boots last year when I bought a set of turbo tie rods from them (the boots are sold separately).
orthobiz
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 20 2014, 05:43 PM) *

Revisit post #6 above and click on the link. These are the boots for the Lemforder turbo tie rods (or steering rack boots, whatever one wishes to call them). I guess other places sell boots, but I bought the same Lemforder boots last year when I bought a set of turbo tie rods from them (the boots are sold separately).

Plus they're on sale 45 cents off. Just sayin'.

P
euro911
They were $12.42 when I bought them ... I should have waited, huh?

laugh.gif
euro911
They were $12.42 when I bought them ... I should have waited, huh?

laugh.gif

EDIT: WTF I made another double post?

Oh well, I did buy two of them, so ...
Tom_T
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 20 2014, 11:38 AM) *

And what, pray tell, is the difference ?

Click to view attachment

The tie rods connect to the ends of the rack and pinion shaft. The boots cover the same joint, so whether they're call 'tie rod' boots or 'rack & pinion' boots is irrelevant.

Educate me confused24.gif

EDIT: If you need to replace the rubber cover ('boot' ?) on the outer end of the tie rod, it's time for a new tie rod end, not a boot

Oh God ... I'm becoming Krusty headbang.gif

Yes, that's the one in the pic I was thinking he meant.

Maybe Bruce it talking about that small blue or white cover over the tie-rod end, which I thought was just for shipping protection?

Although I don't see how the recently replaced boots on the newer tie-rods could be trash now just sitting, unless it was made from inferior rubber from an aftermarket supplier, or using the wrong end clips as I cautioned above, or hitting a rock or tire-bumper etc.!!?? confused24.gif

BTW - There were 2 gorgeous 914s in the PAC LA Region's concours at Santa Monica airport's Air Museum yesterday where I was judging....a 1970 original 6 in Phoenix Red/Black & a `73 914-2.0 in Delphi Green Met/Beige!!! drooley.gif

Carrerra GT, new Macan Turbo, many really nice classics & new ones .... Porsches + Planes - great combo!! wub.gif

...anyway, I digress, but Mark & OP are LA guys!

Cheers! beerchug.gif
bdstone914
We're the tie rod boots from Hamburg Teknik? I have heard nothing good about their products.
Yes I thought that is what he wanted, the small boots that go on the outer tie rod ends. But at $12 for a complete German tie rod why not replace the whole tie rod end?
doit2xs
Does anyone know witch factory rack boot goes on witch side? There is a long one with a clamp on each end and a short one with a clamp only on the outside.

Also has anyone used factory rack boots with the Turbo Tie rods?

Thanks, Don
bdstone914
QUOTE(doit2xs @ Jul 23 2014, 06:52 AM) *

Does anyone know witch factory rack boot goes on witch side? There is a long one with a clamp on each end and a short one with a clamp only on the outside.

Also has anyone used factory rack boots with the Turbo Tie rods?

Thanks, Don

The left and right boots are the same. Get the right boots. They are different for a reason. Who knows what AA might have sent. Look at post #6 Mark gave you the link.
doit2xs
Ok, AA sent rack boots for a Porsche 924/944. So they got to go back.java script:emoticon(':headbang:','smid_31')
So if you have Turbo Tie Rods do you need special boots?

Thanks
bdstone914
QUOTE(doit2xs @ Jul 23 2014, 12:51 PM) *

Ok, AA sent rack boots for a Porsche 924/944. So they got to go back.java script:emoticon(':headbang:','smid_31')
So if you have Turbo Tie Rods do you need special boots?

Thanks

Yes, as has been pointed out several times in this thread.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.