Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aftermarket Parts Frustration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
I got some new parts in to make the turn signals and the horn work properly. Pulled the lower pad and took off the steering wheel. Took the 4 screws out and pulled the lower plugs and wiggled the washer hoses off. I got the combo out and separated them not breaking the joining clips.

Compared the German switch to the Meyle made in China. Every thing seemed ok. That is when I found out one of the posts was drilled ever so slightly off. Got the file out and went to work. Made every thing fit up. Re-installed combo and plugged up for a test. Switch was really stiff and I had to back screws off to free up lever. Pulled assembly back out to look at it. Put it back in again and it seemed to work better. Got it ready to test again.

Took the steering wheel and removed the old cancel ring with the horn contact. Installed the new aftermarket one. Put wheel on and tested. The switch cancel worked to the right but not to the left. Said a few words of disgust. Pulled the wheel and looked again. Got the old cancel ring out and compared it to the new one. The new one appears to be about 2-3 mm shorter than the old ring.

I quit for the evening. I will get on it tomorrow. headbang.gif
914Sixer
I had time this evening to figure things out. The 1st problem was the aftermarket horn cancel ring I got from Sierra Madre Collection. Depending on where you measure it at, the lip is between 1-2 mm shorter than the factory VW one. Second the horn clip is SO Cheap, it broke trying to put horn clip on. Repaired old VW canceling ring and reinstalled it in the wheel. Ready to test then.

Went back and looked at the aftermarket Meyle switch made in China. Did a little more filing and got it fit as flush as possible and aligned post. Put the switches together and noticed they did not line up. Base of the Meyle switch is different. Took a picture so you can see it DOES NOT clip in to base correctly. Took some tape and fitted them together in a semi-locked position. Slid it in and plugged everything up.

Installed the wheel and checked to see if it was canceling. It did cheer.gif . Then went down the list checking the electrical. Found bad turn signal relay. The relay clicked and turn signals flashed but the dash light did not. Installed new relay and everything worked cheer.gif . Headlights flashed. biggrin.gif

No horn but I did not crawl under the front bumper (75). That will be for the next time.
76-914
Good job, Mark. You obviously have more patience than I. That is my least favorite area to work on. I need to pull my 76 off one day to fix that cancelling thing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.