Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rare Find 936JR
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Beach914
Not much progress with the SoCal heat wave we've been having. Looking forward to getting back to work on it. Rebuilding the tail section because the PO cut and bondo'd the brake light opening for new fixtures. Using gelcoat resin to repair cracks on other areas. Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=523
260]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
euro911
That's really cool biggrin.gif

popcorn[1].gif
Beach914
Found some more info on my project. Made in mid 70's, one of five made. Sold at auction online in June this year.Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=529
725]
Beach914
Now I've got to find an Italian made Tecumseh 172cc electric start motor......good luck.
Beach914
Reconstructing the back panel with a fabricated glass piece molded with a bent piece of stainless steel. I'll bond it to the rear with resin, blend it in and recut the rear slots. Went to a junkyard on Friday and bought some used tail lights from a Honda to get the red and yellow reflectors. I'll have to fab these as that are a combo of red/yellow.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Beach914 @ Nov 30 2015, 05:35 PM) *

Now I've got to find an Italian made Tecumseh 172cc electric start motor......good luck.

I think that I found one of those under my couch cushion last week. Let me double-check...

Cool project - I am enjoying the updates. beerchug.gif
carr914
QUOTE(Beach914 @ Apr 29 2015, 04:36 PM) *

Thanks. Not really, no evidence or remnants of any decals or striping. Body was white at one time.

I'm going to stay with the plan to do the White Martini Racing paint scheme and all of the decals. Wayne at Pelican suggested that I consider doing it in a Black base with the Martini Stripes. That's cool too but it raced in white as far as I know.

This is probably what Wayne was referring to

Click to view attachment
carr914
QUOTE(Beach914 @ Apr 29 2015, 07:58 PM) *

Pics of some of the items I have been collecting. It's part of the fun of doing this.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

This place has all sorts of Martini Stripes

https://magnagrafik.com/
Beach914
Yeah I saw the early version in the black but I didn't see any versions in black with the snorkle air intake. Its a cool color combination though and I have thought about it. Given that two of them are already in the white theme it might be kinda fun to do the black. What are the thoughts on it affecting its long term value and collectibility?

Thanks for the website referral. I'll check it out. I've got a great friend that works for HPI Racing ( R/C Cars) and he does all of their graphics. He has volunteered to help me create all of the authentic decals in proper scale for the body. He came over and saw what I had and said he would take over the graphics.
euro911
If they only made 5 of them like yours, I'd stick with the original color. In the long run , I think you'll retain the collect-ability.
Beach914
Bonded fabricated rear fiberglass panel to the body and beginning to trim it out. Next I have to get back to reinforcing the rear wheel arches and body area around the rear naca ducts as the body flexes and keeps cracking the gel coat and glass work. The rear wing and supports have cracks at the joints that need to be redone. The front end is in very good shape.
Click to view attachment
Beach914
It's been awhile but I have finally moved on to the next phase of the body restoration. After trying to repair the cracking gelcoat I decided to have a professional take over and repair the gelcoat.I delivered the body on monday to a boat repair shop in Dana Point and it will take about a month. I've also located a Tecumseh 5hp industrial gas engine with an electric start that is on its way. I've now got a couple of options for engines. Going to start on the frame repair this coming week so I hope to be able to add more to this thread as the body and frame progress.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Beach914
Picked it up from the Dana Point boat shop that was doing the re-gelcoat. Awesome job being that it was all done by hand.
Next step is to get work on the chassis and the fitting the Tecumseh engine that I have obtained.Click to view attachment
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(Beach914 @ Oct 17 2015, 07:49 PM) *

Need some help. Does anyone that saw this at Rennsport Reunion know who the owner might be. I saw this in Magnus walkers Facebook and it's the only other kart like mine I have been able to find. Thx.Click to view attachment

I think Todd from LA Porsche Dismantler owns that one. I know he has one stashed above his office.
Beach914
QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Jul 17 2016, 01:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Beach914 @ Oct 17 2015, 07:49 PM) *

Need some help. Does anyone that saw this at Rennsport Reunion know who the owner might be. I saw this in Magnus walkers Facebook and it's the only other kart like mine I have been able to find. Thx.Click to view attachment

I think Todd from LA Porsche Dismantler owns that one. I know he has one stashed above his office.

Thanks jeff. I'll have to follow up on it. My understanding is that there were only five of these built. I'm about to post some pics of one that sold last summer that was once owned by the former owner of A.I.R. Products the fiberglass guys in SoCal.
Beach914
Some great pics I found to help me in the restoration of mine.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Beach914
Looking for and/ or considering making a miniature Prototipo wlheel.
2mAn
this is such a cool project!
Beach914
Thanks. You should hear the reactions when I tell people I'm restoring a go kart. It's like grow up........until you tell them how significant a vehicle this is.
JeffBowlsby
NOW would be the perfect time to pull some molds offa' that thing. Sell a few copies and that would give you a free 936JR to keep.
Beach914
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 18 2016, 12:10 AM) *

NOW would be the perfect time to pull some molds offa' that thing. Sell a few copies and that would give you a free 936JR to keep.

Yeah, the boat repair guy and I gave it some thought. Heck maybe that's what he did ! He has had it since the end of April !
Heck now you got me thinking about it again.
Thanks Jeff.......
Stigg
I also have e a 936JR From AIR.... Bought it 1986Click to view attachment [attachmentid=624450

Dan at AIR made five of them.....all were slightly different ..fixed rear wing or raised wing
The one in the previous post with the Red 959 belongs to Morse...He has a Real 936 so a junior is only fitting....It was in Canepa booth at Monterrey

Click to view attachment
Stigg
911 style ignition switch and quick release Momo steering wheel to get in easierClick to view attachment

It's really dirty.....

been in storage
ValcoOscar
Very cool...I had not seen this thread.

Let's make some for next Temecula 914 Fun Day...if I can get my hands on a body....ANYONE????

OscarClick to view attachment
sixnotfour
Stigg , did you buy yours from M Harley ?? from WA.
Stigg
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Oct 20 2017, 03:22 PM) *

Stigg , did you buy yours from M Harley ?? from WA.

No I bought it from Dan McLaughlin at AIR Fiberglass........They made custom Porsche fenders,spoilers,and fabrication on repairs .... They repaired a Porsche Kremer for one of my customers..... very nice work!
T
Beach914
Wow! I'm so glad that you finally chimed in! History on these is sparse. I'm in the process of repairing the frame as it was damaged. The original motor was long gone and I have secured another Tecumseh 5hp with electric start. Its beIN fitted as apart of the repair and aligned with the transmission. Going kinda slow but it will be done right. Maybe ready for 2018 Rennsport or Monterey Auctions we'll see. I need some $$ to fund my two 914 sixer projects. This belongs in someone's mancave or serious Porsche collection.
Beach914
Tecumseh engine I found.Click to view attachment
porschetub
QUOTE(Beach914 @ Jul 19 2016, 02:48 AM) *

Yeah, the boat repair guy and I gave it some thought. Heck maybe that's what he did ! He has had it since the end of April !
Thanks Jeff.......

A bit more than pulling molds off it,made from a heap of small parts to make this body it just isn't that easy.
When you repair a glass body you relieve the cracks in the gelcoat with a die grinder and fill the grooves with resin and rovings or chop up glass mat and add it to a little resin,then go under the body and find why it cracked to start with,thats how you will know.

Beach914
Chassis at my friends shop.
.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Beach914
QUOTE(porschetub @ Oct 20 2017, 06:36 PM) *

QUOTE(Beach914 @ Jul 19 2016, 02:48 AM) *

Thanks Jeff.......

A bit more than pulling molds off it,made from a heap of small parts to make this body it just isn't that easy.
When you repair a glass body you relieve the cracks in the gelcoat with a die grinder and fill the grooves with resin and rovings or chop up glass mat and add it to a little resin,then go under the body and find why it cracked to start with,thats how you will know.

You are absolutely right! I studied the body when I had it in the backyard scraping the rhinoliner off of it. The body is very complicated and the sections are incredible. A 3D scan of it would be cool.
Beach914
Had to pull the frame from a friends shop because he was too busy. Had one of my shop welders work for me after work hours and get the front section reattached. Butt welded 1" square tubing not the strongest. Put some strap pieces on the inside and outside. Also removed the differential unit and can now get it off to sandblasting and powder coat. Can't wait to get I back.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Beach914
Click to view attachment

Sold at RM Sothebys Auction. 100 of these made and spread around the world.
Beach914
Found this youtube link and it's probably the 5th car built by A.I.R..

Some good details shown that will help me with the rebuild.

Obviously appears to be in Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL4VhvIQU-U
Beach914
Click to view attachment
bigkensteele
That should be some incentive to get that project done! Talk about validation!!!
Beach914
Recently moved to Irvine and am able to finally squeeze some room in to get back to the chassis. Built a rolling frame to be able to reassemble the chassis at a comfortable height for my back. I thought I had possibly contracted COVID as I had a coworker infected so I prepared for some possible quarantine time.

Cleaning and refreshing suspension pieces first. Then I have to design and fab a new brake pedal /master cylinder set up up front.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
horizontally-opposed
Car seen at the Petersen Museum may be at Canepa in Scotts Valley. Worth a call, maybe?

Cool project for sure!
Beach914
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Aug 18 2020, 08:42 PM) *

Car seen at the Petersen Museum may be at Canepa in Scotts Valley. Worth a call, maybe?

Cool project for sure!

Yes it was Canepas car. Porsche Guy, Ken Morse, sold it to Canepa. Morse and I have talked and when I get it a little further along he wants to come over and see it. That would be cool since he is the creator along with McGlaughlin from AIR.

Morse claims that they built four cars but my research shows that there are five. So that will be an interesting discussion when we meet someday.
Beach914
Up in Monterey to see family and make a side trek to Canepa to see the Morse original 936 mini. They are closed but allowed me upstairs alone to see the museum display. Hoped to see some areas to help with my reassembly but found that this original was built quite different. Anyway took a few other photos to help me. Fun trip and many thanks for their hospitality.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Beach914
According to Kerry Morse our cars were the inspiration for the Jules version that Porsche released. Supposedly Dr Porsche sat in the Morse car and they tried some minor marketing in Germany at that time.
Watching the BAT auction to get a feel of the current market. They made 80-100 of the Jules version and there’s only five ‘Morse’ creations. Much more rare. I hope to colaborate with Kerry to do a story on the karts creation process.

Jules versions were made in Poland and ours were made in the USA.
Beach914
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Beach914
Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
Sooooo... restoration started in 2014...six years and still not quite done, about normal for a car restoration lol-2.gif
But percentage wise you'll likely make money on this car. beer.gif

Cool project, great find.
Beach914
Yeah. Life stuff keeps getting in the way. Wife started renovation of her Parents old RV and guess who got stuck doing stuff only to have her lose interest and sell it off.
I’m happy to get back on it and will take my time and have fun doing it.
Beach914
Frustrating time trying to align the rear axle and the bearing blocks. A center support next to the diff (see pics) causes interference if the bearing blocks are are not level to it. I suspect that the chassis mounting pads are also not flat, or level with each other.

My have to bring it back to work and put it on my big surface plate and measure everything for shims. Ughhhhhhhhh.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Beach914
Trying to make lookalike bbs wheels.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Beach914
Reassembled the front suspension and steering rack. Added the wheels with the BBS cooling fin ‘look’ that I’m working on to see how it looks.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
raynekat
They look great (cooling fins) to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.