Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need rear brake calipers!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brooks944
My new 75 has had the rear calipers switched over to fronts apparently resulting in no parking brake. I thought that was OK when I bought it except now I've found out both rears are seized and can't be fixed. Anyone know where you can get rear calipers for a reasonable price? Used is fine as long as functional. Don't plan on tracking the car yet, but will be doing AX so the standard rears should be fine for now.

Thanks,
Rick
Mblizzard
I know it is hard, I bitched about the cost when I did it. But do yourself a favor and get new rears from Eric at PMB. If someone made that switch you will likely find other issues that are hidden now. Starting with known good rears will save you a lot of time.

Just my thoughts. I don't own stock in PMB or anything. But I do have Eric's calipers on my car and they are awesome.
Garland
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jul 29 2014, 06:17 PM) *

I know it is hard, I bitched about the cost when I did it. But do yourself a favor and get new rears from Eric at PMB. If someone made that switch you will likely find other issues that are hidden now. Starting with known good rears will save you a lot of time.

Just my thoughts. I don't own stock in PMB or anything. But I do have Eric's calipers on my car and they are awesome.

agree.gif

What he said!
Mblizzard
Rick make sure you make plans to bring your car to Okteenerfest as I see you are in Kingston so it should be a easy trip. Let me know if you need a hand I am really close to you.
PotterPorsche
In my area is parts heaven hayward or easy in Emeryville .Don't know
the prices but they should have it.
Dave_Darling
Not worth slapping used brakes on, IMHO. Send 'em to Eric.

--DD
Spoke
QUOTE(Garland @ Jul 29 2014, 08:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jul 29 2014, 06:17 PM) *

agree.gif

What he said!

agree.gif

No debate. Don't fuck around. Save yourself time and money and let Eric restore them. Your life (and those around you) is on the line with brakes.
lonewolfe
Dave is correct! All you'll get at Easy or Parts Heaven are used calipers that aren't rebuilt and you'll pay a lot for them, especially if you buy them at Parts Heaven! That's a waste of money because you'll still need to get them rebuilt! You can still buy Porsche factory new front calipers from Automotion though and they're pretty inexpesive and come with new factory brake pads and hardware.
stugray
If you dont care about looks, then you can rebuild a set yourself relatively easy.

It is the plating that makes it a bit of extra effort.
So if money is not an issue, I second (or thrid, fourth...) getting a newly rebuilt set from Eric.

If you are on a budget, get a used pair and rebuld them yourself.

I have a couple extra sets that could be rebuilt.
If you are interested, I could ship them to you.
rick 918-S
While your at it get a new master cylinder and rubber lines. The lines swell up inside and will cause the brakes to stick after applying them. this leads to overheating the rotors and cooking the fluid causing the caliper pistons to stick further as the cooked fluid creates a varnish rig around the piston. It's a vicious circle. The best money you will spend on a running 914 with a good chassis is the brake system.
brooks944
Thanks to everyone for the replies. Just talked to Eric and he's out of rears but "swimming in fronts"! Sent a PM to Stugray about his. Really appreciate your help.

Rick
Eric_Shea
Plating may seem superficial but it's the most important part of any rebuild.

99.9% of all caliper failures are because of rust... "inside the caliper." This is also an issue with most rebuilds. Over the last ten years, we've learned never to hone the bore (leaving fresh metal inside against the piston and seal area) and, plating the bore is a must or you'll be packing your troubles and inviting them back in a year or two.

We have a video on YouTube that makes it fairly easy. I would encourage "anyone" doing a rebuild to do the most important step. Get them plated.

Rick, if you can't find a local plater, we can plate the bodies for $60.00 for the pair. Fasteners are plated for $2.00 each.
Mblizzard
Rick if you can't get them from Stugraynlet me know I may be able to dig up a pair.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.