Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Idling problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
911 defector
I am having a problem with my '73 914 2.0. The car starts and drives fine until it is warmed up. One it gets warm the car will not idle properly. The RPM's go down to 100 or 200 and the car will eventually die out. If I turn it off, it will reluctantly start, but I have to keep the RPM's up or it dies. The car has the fuel pump in the front, I changed the head temp sensor that monitors the fuel injection. The car will run and drive fine as long as I keep the RPM's up.
Also, If I push down hard on the spark plug wire lead for cylinder #4 (passengers side of engine in the front) on the distributor cap, the idle goes back up. I checked all the wire on the spark plugs and on the distributor cap and they are firmly attached, as is the distributor cap as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jon
ripper911
Keep the side of your foot on the accelerator pedal to keep the engine from dying.
Jeffs9146
CHTS
Reno914
Have you checked the vacuum line to the manifold pressure sensor, or the sensor itself for the fuel injection?

Reno
Java2570
When you first start up your engine, what is your RPM at? Is your AAR valve working correctly? You likely should check all the basics out and be methodical in how you proceed.

A must have D Jet resource: http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/djetparts.htm
TheCabinetmaker
When it first starts and idles fine turn the air bypass screw open till it idles around 1500 rpm. Then when it's warm and the idle drops readjust it to about 1000 rpms. You should also check dwell and timing. Have you checked adjustment on the tps?
911 defector
Changed head temp sensor (for fuel injection located by #3 cylinder), warmed up car, then adjusted air bleeder screw at idle. Backed screw out all the way and RPM's are still a little below 900, and car runs very rough. Thanks for suggestions!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.