Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rust repair recommendations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SA-914
I recently purchased a 73 2.0 with Dual Webers, 40 IDF. I runs really well. It does have some rust. I've included some pictures. My quandry is that I would like to do some repairs now, but not tackle the hell hole until winter. I would like to enjoy the car for a bit before pulling the engine and tackling the engine compartment. I was going to just cut off the jack plates now, and clean up the area. I cannot find any rust other that the jacks on the longs. inside, I would like to cut out and repair the back panel. The back has some pin hole higher up and is rusted in the lower passenger corner.

My question, is this feasible? Can I do these repairs from the inside? I would like to atleast make the interior water tight and then battle the engine compartment later.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
SA-914
I recently purchased a 73 2.0 with Dual Webers, 40 IDF. I runs really well. It does have some rust. I've included some pictures. My quandry is that I would like to do some repairs now, but not tackle the hell hole until winter. I would like to enjoy the car for a bit before pulling the engine and tackling the engine compartment. I was going to just cut off the jack plates now, and clean up the area. I cannot find any rust other that the jacks on the longs. inside, I would like to cut out and repair the back panel. The back has some pin hole higher up and is rusted in the lower passenger corner.

My question, is this feasible? Can I do these repairs from the inside? I would like to atleast make the interior water tight and then battle the engine compartment later.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
SA-914
My apologies for the triple post.
PanelBilly
I'm not seeing anything that looks too bad. What does it look like from the engine side and from under the car looking up toward the battery. Is that surface damage on the long or can you poke a hole in any of it?
Mike Bellis
welcome.png

It can be fixed...
914Sixer
SA-914 I am up in Boerne if you have questions. Feel free to contact me. Bring the car by and I will help you go over it. Free most afternoons after 4 pm. There are several of us 914 owners that get together from time to time. 210-262-4226.
SA-914
I've attached another picture. I pulled the firewall insulation. It looks like it had gotten wet and caused the middle section to rust through. I highlighted the area with a triangle. I should be able to cut it out and use a generic piece of sheet metal to patch it. The floor has a couple of 1/4" hole in the corner, where the lower section is totally rusted out where it meets the floor. I will need to buy the lower right section. From the hell hole, I can only poke two small 1/4" holes. Not much more than that. I cannot find any rust through next to the jack posts.

So, can I do all this welding from the inside. The upper triangle, I am pretty sure I can. I am just not sure what I will find behind the lower section.

914-Sixer, my car is in bits...I am looking at buying the towbar hookup, but I will contact you.

Joel
Click to view attachment
76-914
That upper piece is a snap. That lower piece is not as easy. Check the lower piece on both sides to see if you can spot repair that area.
ned911
Let me know if you find a 914 knowledgeable body person. Another good person to know is Bob Jones at Jones Autowerks in SA. Bob is amazing and builds amazing engines and cars but not a body work person. He has built some seriously fast 4's but also does really nice street cars.

I'll probably take mine down before it goes to the body shop to have Bob install chassis stiffening. That's after he finishes with the wife's 2.4 911 motor.
SA-914
I'm going to tackle the body stuff myself. I may go ahead and add in the stiffener since I will be in the area. Not sure if I even need it. I had previously contacted Jones when I was having trouble with shifting. I ended up installing new bushings throughout, and my shifting woes went away.
SA-914
The cutting begins. Easily cut through the fire wall with a grinder with cutting wheel.
Click to view attachment

Here's the hell hole. Not bad, a couple of holes is all I could poke.
Click to view attachment
914Sixer
SA-914, I have a 74 body setting in the back yard. You can come up and see what you can use.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.