Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RIVERSIDE REGION PCA A-X SEASON!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Brando
Woooooooohooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Track opens up again SATURDAY FEBRUARY 5TH!!! Same location as last season... the Orange Show parking lot in San Bernardino (map?). All IPB Image and IPB Image welcome! Even if you don't have a 914 or any other model Porsche you are welcome and offered to participate! Entry fee I believe is $40. We usually get about 30 laps in, 3 final timed laps and it's plenty fun.

Your car will have to pass tech inspection. You will also need to bring or borrow a Snell 2000 approved helmet (Motorcycle or Auto allowed). Breakfast is usually there around 7 to 7:30. The tech-inspection starts at 8:00 AM so please be a bit early. Other than that... I hope you all make it (locales). IPB Image
IPB Image
MattR
Hell yeah, its time for the 912 to make its first track appearence!

I'll bring sube friend too (assuming he's not scared of my 1.6L of naturally aspirated fury).
Trekkor
IPB Image

I would love to make that date.

KT
T H O M A S
sure thing
nebreitling
awesome. you guys have a blast. get more than 20 cars out there so that you can count your full points to 914cup!

n
skline
So does that mean I can bring my little S10 with the ZQ6 sport suspension out there and take a few laps? The only problem with it is a non posi rearend. Coming out of the corners it just spins the tires. Its more for road running. Dont know how it would do in an AX event. Wouldnt that be bad if it blew away the teeners? IPB Image
Brando
Map of the location:
IPB Image

Also, if you contact Jim Burke and get a signup sheet ahead of time (couldn't find one online?) i think there's a discount for pre-registering. His # is (951) 681-6929. Just mention that you heard of the A-X on 914world.com or from me (Brandon) and it's all good.
SLITS
QUOTE (skline @ Jan 23 2005, 10:56 PM)
So does that mean I can bring my little S10 with the ZQ6 sport suspension out there and take a few laps? The only problem with it is a non posi rearend. Coming out of the corners it just spins the tires. Its more for road running. Dont know how it would do in an AX event. Wouldnt that be bad if it blew away the teeners? IPB Image

Dream on oh "domestic one"....dream on!
Aaron Cox
ill be there. trekkor...come on down man.
JoeSharp
Ah Yes. The races at GATE 8 RACEWAY PARK. The NARPs out number the Clubs cars by 4 to 1. I don't think we have had 20 cars there yet. But a great way to get seat time. I'll be there and try to do more than take pictures this time.
Sammy
Oh great. Now I have to try to convince the wife to let me play AX on saturday and Dunkels on Sunday.
I'll prolly have to choose one or the other. Right now I'd say AX comes first IPB Image
Brando
Hey Aaron and MattR, I think it's time to bust ass and have a track-ready car for the startup! IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
SLITS
QUOTE (Brando @ Jan 24 2005, 02:07 PM)
Hey Aaron and MattR, I think it's time to bust ass and have a track-ready car for the startup! IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image Bust ass....college students...... IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
Aaron Cox
brando.....

i wish. IPB Image

ron...bring der weis bandit...and ill show you how to drive IPB Image IPB Image
SLITS
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 24 2005, 05:28 PM)
brando.....

i wish. IPB Image

ron...bring der weis bandit...and ill show you how to drive IPB Image IPB Image

I'll bring the training wheels for you.
Brando
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 24 2005, 04:28 PM)
brando.....

i wish. IPB Image

Oh c'mon. Get the thing to my boss's shop and i'll put the damn thing together if I have to! I'll just need plenty of IPB Image
Trekkor
I'm out.

Got a schedule for the season?

KT
MattR
QUOTE (SLITS @ Jan 24 2005, 04:23 PM)
QUOTE (Brando @ Jan 24 2005, 02:07 PM)
Hey Aaron and MattR, I think it's time to bust ass and have a track-ready car for the startup!  :smash:  :smash:  :smash:

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image Bust ass....college students...... IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

IPB Image
mrihop
I'm working my @$$ off to put together my car in time for the AX!

This is what I got done tonight!
IPB Image

Even if I don't get my wheels rolling in time, I'll still probably show up to meet people, watch cars race around, and simply have a good time! IPB Image rocking nana.gif
Aaron Cox
look forward to seeing you there IPB Image
dlo914
what's the head count so far? im in...to go spectate with my 14 IPB Image i'll be the bitchin' cheer crowd IPB Image
Toast
Count me out. IPB Image I have a buddy comming down from out of state that weekend. I'll try to drag em there, but I doubt the 5 year old girl will be interested. I'll try thoe, but dont count on it.
nine one four
This is a great event, I will try not to miss it all together
dlo914
looking forward to this event....gotta get away from the GF for a day...she's ticking me off IPB Image
SLITS
Hey A-aron Admin....you gonna fix that piece of crap you drive?

IPB Image

yea, I have the "A" arm with the welded "U" bracket too!
Brando
you know something's up with your car when other members post pictures of the parts you drop when leaving...
Marv's3.6six
Whats it take to pass tech? IPB Image
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Marv's3.2six @ Jan 29 2005, 06:46 AM)

a helmet and a battery hold down IPB Image
curtis
QUOTE (Marv's3.2six @ Jan 29 2005, 05:46 AM)

Marv your car will pass tech no problem! Oh yeah and count me in!! IPB Image
Sammy
Well, the warden says i can either go to the swap meet formerly known as dunkels or I can go cone-killin. Caint do both.
so..... seeing as how I haven't made a single AX since I installed the turbo I'm due. Gotta see how she does on three wheels and boost at the same time. Also gotta see how rusty I am and if I still have quick reflections. IPB Image

No dunkels this year, but I'll see the rest of you cone killers saturday IPB Image IPB Image

Now where's the case of blue masking tape?
Always Looking
Anybody going with a spare helmet? And what do you mean battery hold down? I have a stock clamp that holds the battery down... will that do? What about a tie-down for the battery? I'd love to take some turns.

IPB Image
mrihop
I dunno if the stock battery clamp will help you pass tech or not....but I know you can get a generic hold down from Autozone or something you can fab up to really lock the battery down!
Sammy
If the stock battery hold down will hold it from moving, you don't have a problem.
What they wil do is to grab the battery and shake it.
If the battery stays where it belongs, you pass.
If it moves or becomes loose, you fail. A loose batter can be a fire hazard.

A couple other things to keep in mind:

Make sure your brakes are in very good shape.
Make sure your wheel bearings are not loose.
Make sure you don't have excessive leakage of liquids from the car.
Make sure you get everything out of the car that isn't bolted down, like carpets, floor mats, junk under the seats, garage door openers, everything. You can take it out when you get there but make sure it is out before you go to tech.
Nothing worse than having something roll under your foot or pedals when you are driving at the limit.

I've tecked hundreds of cars at Irwindale and that is basically what we would look for.

We don't check your oil level but you should. Too low and you risk losing oil pressure under G load. Too high and you risk making a smoke screen. Most guys with type 4s run about 1/2 quart high, YMMV.

It's also a good idea to get there early enough to set up camp, pass tech, register, and still have enough time to walk the track several times.
Take water and a snack.
Take sunscreen if you need it, hats are a gud thing.
I take a razor scooter with me, that way I can zoom around the course imagining the lines and can do many laps in the time it takes to walk one.
I hate getting lost on the first lap.
That lap is supposed to be slow, but by then the addrenaline is flowing and I usually go for it.

Another tip is to get there early enough so that you can help lay out the track. Not only will you understand the course, but you may be able to influence who ever designs the track so that it benefits your car. In other words, if you have a momentum car you would want tight, low speed sweepers and chicanes. If you have a heavier, high horsepower car you would want high speed corners and straights.

Not that I would ever do such a thing......
Toast
QUOTE (Brando @ Jan 28 2005, 06:28 PM)
you know something's up with your car when other members post pictures of the parts you drop when leaving...

IPB Image
dlo914
ack...im gonna be a no show this saturday...don't wanna drive alone, or risk breaking down w/out any more AAA tows... IPB Image IPB Image
curtis
QUOTE (dlo914 @ Jan 31 2005, 07:44 PM)
ack...im gonna be a no show this saturday...don't wanna drive alone, or risk breaking down w/out any more AAA tows... IPB Image IPB Image

If you need I can be a chase /support tow vehicle just in case...I have acess to a 1993 humvee H-1 with a tow dolly so let me know because I would really hate for you to miss out on the auto-x just because of potential breakdowns..not that breakdowns are no big deal!!! So just let me know we need as many teeners as possible!!!! IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
Aaron Cox
shawn, did you invite jim? and hersh?
dlo914
QUOTE (curtis @ Jan 31 2005, 07:51 PM)
QUOTE (dlo914 @ Jan 31 2005, 07:44 PM)
ack...im gonna be a no show this saturday...don't wanna drive alone, or risk breaking down w/out any more AAA tows... IPB Image  :(

If you need I can be a chase /support tow vehicle just in case...I have acess to a 1993 humvee H-1 with a tow dolly so let me know because I would really hate for you to miss out on the auto-x just because of potential breakdowns..not that breakdowns are no big deal!!! So just let me know we need as many teeners as possible!!!! IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

well im not gonna AX but i'll watch and support. would like to meet some of the guys on the forum. And on 2nd thought since ive already reserved saturday for this event im GOING! screw being a wuss ...imma take the risk IPB Image !!!
curtis
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 31 2005, 07:57 PM)
shawn, did you invite jim? and hersh?

ABSOLFRIGGINLUTELY....TRIPLE CHECKED THEY ARE BOTH GOING.. WE WILL PROBABLY CARAVAN DOWN!!!! IPB Image
Aaron Cox
right on.... hey pick a spot...maybe we can do breakfast IPB Image
dlo914
all i know right now is take the 10E to the 215N which exit? coming from los angeles/alhambra/south pasadena area...
curtis
QUOTE (dlo914 @ Jan 31 2005, 08:38 PM)
all i know right now is take the 10E to the 215N which exit? coming from los angeles/alhambra/south pasadena area...

Once you are on the 215 N exit ORANGE SHOW ROAD AND TURN RIGHT THEN YOU WILL GO ABOUT 1/2 MILE AND TURN LEFT ON ARROWHEAD AVE AND GO ABOUT 1 MILE AND YOU WILL SEE THE PARKING LOT ON THE LEFT WITH ALL THE CONES AND PORSCHES.
curtis
Hey Aron how about the IHOP on hospitality lane in San Bernardino? Its about 5 minutes south of the auto-x site. IPB Image Just name a time and Hirsh and I will be there but Im not sure about Jim because it takes about two hours for him to get to the auto-x from his front door.
Brando
Yeah breakfast does sound like a good idea Aaron. Entry fee (i was just told this last night) is $50 if you didn't register a week in advance.

Also, if enough of us with cars meant for tight turns show up, there's a real good chance we could complain that the setup isn't good for us and they can re-arrange it a bit. Robert Gould is the guy who's in charge of setting the track up, just in case you were wondering who's mind we have to change. Since most PCA members in our region own taildraggers, they get all down and mopey when they can't break 70 (oh boohoo). Tough nuts. Less drag-racing and more cornering. Plus we need something different than what we've used the last 5 times.

I'm just putting that out there since I KNOW how the usual members like the track... screwy.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Brando @ Feb 1 2005, 06:35 PM)
Yeah breakfast does sound like a good idea Aaron. Entry fee (i was just told this last night) is $50 if you didn't register a week in advance.

that sucks.... flipa.gif

geez.... im broke as is..... still need to weld a swaybar utab on my car friday night rolleyes.gif
Sammy
That's a long way to drive to just use 1st gear, i gotta talk to this guy.
I'm thinking redline in 3rd at least smile.gif
Toast
I just got a call and found out that the repairs on my truck are going to be $300 from damages from my skiing trip last weekend! That doesn't even include the cost of body damage yet! ohmy.gif headbang.gif (damn, that was one expensive day skiing. mad.gif )

So looks like I wouldn't be able to afford to go even if I could. sad.gif

Have fun guys! I want to see lots of pics and trophys. smilie_pokal.gif
AlexO
I'll be there with the Miata. Hopefully a day with P-Cars will sway my GF a little from her American iron ways....
--Alex
Brando
More details on the breakfast thing. When and where exactly? I'm taking the girlfriend to work tomorrow and if the breakfast is early enough we could eat n go.
T H O M A S
ready to go
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.