Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carbon Fiber Body parts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
mack914
Hi boys and girls-just talked to Neal at Getty. I called to have a few ?s answered about CF front and rear hoods for my 914. Neal was great and took care of the ?s. I asked him about prices, $699 for each. I mentioned the 914Club. A group deal would be in order if I could get five (5) people who would be interested in a group purchase.

I told Neal I would make a post to the Club.

Here's the deal--Each piece would be $200 off if I could get 5 total to purchase. You would not have to buy both front and back, just one piece.

He also said that shipping would be a flat $100 for both, anywhere.

So, lets review, front and back lids plus shipping $1100. Sounds like a deal to me.

IPB Image
GTeener
I wish I had the money for it. My back lid really needs a replacement or painting...
mack914
Just gave Neal a call, gone for the day. From the sounds of things I would say yes to a full hood being included. Sounds like GD would like to create some business.
michel richard
Shipping cost is for anywhere in the US or really anywhere ? I'm in Canada. I've got a poor rear lid.
TimT
I might be interested
eeyore
Deleted my post about not having to buy both pieces after I re-read starting post.

If a full hood is available, I'm in for that.

The other stupid question is: 5 pieces total for the group deal, or 5 of each type, f/r?
mack914
He said anywhere, but will have to confirm. I have a call into him, should know tomorrow.
neo914-6
Do you mean "Full hood" w/o head light notches? That's what I'd like.

What is the finish? Black weave?
mack914
No just five (5) pieces total for group deal. You don't have to buy both F/R, it's your choice. $200 savings on each piece no mater how many you buy, as long as your have five people to start.
mack914
I will find out tomorrow if a full hood would be included, my guess, yes. Yes, black basket weave.
anthony
Can these lids be run bare or do you need to send them to a painter for a clear coat?

Anyone have a pic of a silver 914 with bare carbon fiber lids hanging around?
mack914
Will have to clear coat.
Mueller
Can more hoods than 2 be combined for shipping? So lets say I want 1 rear lid, Felix wants front and rear and Anothony wants both as well...can all 5 be put together and we split the $100 shipping charge??? IPB Image

Since we are local to each other, I could hand deliver the lids to the other 2 guys.....
mack914
I will ask Neal tomorrow. More than two pieces shipped to one location for the $100, correct?
SirAndy
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jan 24 2005, 04:23 PM)
can all 5 be put together and we split the $100 shipping charge???

or, we have one of the local guys pic them up "for free" and trailer them to the WCC where we then just put them on our cars right there!

IPB Image gawd, you guys are sooooo cheap ...
IPB Image Andy
Mueller
QUOTE (mack914 @ Jan 24 2005, 05:26 PM)
I will ask Neal tomorrow. More than two pieces shipped to one location for the $100, correct?

correct, sorry for my long winded question, LOL
mack914
Always a better deal when you pick them up.
Mueller
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 24 2005, 05:28 PM)
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jan 24 2005, 04:23 PM)
can all 5 be put together and we split the $100 shipping charge???

or, we have one of the local guys pic them up "for free" and trailer them to the WCC where we then just put them on our cars right there!

IPB Image gawd, you guys are sooooo cheap ...
IPB Image Andy

what do you expect?? one lid cost more than I payed for my 914 IPB Image
mack914
I called Neal at the Riverside Ca. address. So, you guys in Caly might just want to drive out there and pick up your group purchased.
mack914
Yea, Just think how much better your car will look with the blinging glare coming off those Carbon fibers.
iiibdsiil
Grrr... Why do you guys have to do this to me? I hate you. I really do.

I want a hood for sure, and would love the rear.... I hate you.
Mueller
QUOTE (mack914 @ Jan 24 2005, 05:35 PM)
I called Neal at the Riverside Ca. address. So, you guys in Caly might just want to drive out there and pick up your group purchased.

road trip !!!!!

it would cost a little over $100 to drive down and back...hmmmmm maybe I could "make" some money by picking them up for the Nor-Cal guys IPB Image
Mark Henry
QUOTE (michel richard @ Jan 24 2005, 07:56 PM)
Shipping cost is for anywhere in the US or really anywhere ? I'm in Canada. I've got a poor rear lid.

No...he couldn't do that.
Even if he did I bet who ever the shipper is they would ding for extra on the Canadian side.

Plus you'll still have brokerage and taxes.
Aaron Cox
im 20 min from riverside IPB Image
J P Stein
At that price, I'm in for one rear & one front without cutouts for the lights.
Series9
Can we get some detailed pictures?

I got a pair for GT Racing that could be better.

If these are good enough to go without paint, I would get front and back.
Mueller
QUOTE (914RS @ Jan 24 2005, 06:42 PM)

so are you not happy with yours?
seanery
SOMEONE HIRE ME!!!

I'd love a set for bluecar IPB Image
ewdysar
Now for a noob question, what's the difference between a FRP (regular glass) hood and CF? Worth $200 more list price? I'm guessing that the construction is identical, just the material and laminate schedule change... IPB Image

I'm thinking about swapping out my repaired steel front hood, I wouldn't mind glass here 'cause it's surrounded by steel.

Eric
neo914-6
maybe I could "make" some money by picking them up for the Nor-Cal guys  

I'm up for that, do you take MC or Visa? IPB Image
Brando
I live in riverside. I could pick them up from the person making these, save all you SOCAL guys some shipping charges and you can drive to my house to pick them up. That a good idea?

Besides, I want to see how pretty these will look in person, since I'll never be able to afford one IPB Image IPB Image
ppickerell
1. What is the estimated weight savings if one was to convert both front and rear from steel to CF?
2. How best to sell this to my wife?
Mueller
1. What is the estimated weight savings if one was to convert both front and rear from steel to CF?

not sure, i wanna say a 20lb savings for each lid (minimum)

2. How best to sell this to my wife?

increased safety , car will have less weight and be more nimble to avoid obsticles in the road.....also, you are lowering the CG which makes the car less likely to tip over, with the car weighing less, you don't need to spend as much money on go-fast parts for the engine, oh yea and better gas mileage IPB Image
good luck !!!!!
Brando
If only it was a more affordable option... I'd be ripping off panels and hoods and going the bolt-on or pop-rivet method of attachment.
Series9
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jan 24 2005, 06:44 PM)
QUOTE (914RS @ Jan 24 2005, 06:42 PM)

so are you not happy with yours?

I could be happier.

Pictures would be very good. If they're really nice, I'll get a pair.
nebreitling
there's room on my credit card IPB Image

someone push me over the edge....
Jeroen
Mack, could you check with Getty for me if they can ship to europe (the Netherlands) and if so, how much?
neo914-6
increased safety , car will have less weight and be more nimble to avoid obsticles in the road.....also, you are lowering the CG which makes the car less likely to tip over, with the car weighing less, you don't need to spend as much money on go-fast parts for the engine, oh yea and better gas mileage
good luck !!!!!

IPB Image Yeah Mike!

Patrick,
Just show her how beautiful they look with the deep reflective pattern, the high tech aerospace material used in the most exotic cars, the sinister agressive look it will help your car win races, AND because everyone else has them! IPB Image
Trekkor
Can't right now. But if I ever do, they'll get the paint.

Just me. IPB Image

KT
type47fan
QUOTE (914RS @ Jan 24 2005, 07:29 PM)
Pictures would be very good.  If they're really nice, I'll get a pair.

You're still talking about AUTOMOBILE body parts, right? IPB Image
mikerose
IPB Image
mack914
I'm back with some answers.

1. Shipping to Canada more.

2. Shipping of more than 2 pieces cost more. No more than two pieces go into a shipping box.

3. Getty doesn't make a full lid. (with no light cut-outs)

Buyer does have a choice of thickness (weight) Depending on use. Lighter if you are using car for racer, heavier for street use.

Neal is getting back to me about posting some pics of lids.

Hope this helps - IPB Image
mack914
CF lids are stocked in Riverside, CA for those of you who were thinking about picking them up.
iiibdsiil
Next is to find out what the minimum thickness will be to have it still seal properly, but be as thin as possible...

What kinda weight savings are we looking at anyways?
skline
I have a place near me that sells all the stuff I need to make one, I think I may give it a shot and see how it comes out. I just think that $700 is too much for a lid even with a $200 discount. A lid shouldnt cost more than maybe 2 or 300 tops.
mack914
You will determine thickness when placing your order for lids with Neal. He is better equiped to determine your needs as far as application.
bondo
Man, if only this discount applied to the 911 style dashes IPB Image
ewdysar
Maybe my last post was too vague...

How much does a steel front hood weigh?
How much does a FRP front hood weigh?
How much does a CF front hood weigh?

We can each determine for ourselves the weight savings to cost benefit ratio. I would be painting any hood that goes on my car...

Eric
ppickerell
Is the price irrespective of thickness?
mack914
Good ? Does price drop with drop in thickness?
Will ask Getty.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.