Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5 bolt conversion problem...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
falcor75
I got a pair of front Boge struts from a '69 911. The kind with a M10x30 bolt that holds the lower joint. I ordered new bearings for them but the inner bearing wont go down all the way.....

http://matsgarage.com/wp-content/uploads/2...08/DSC00912.jpg

This is as far as the bearing will go... and I'm kinda clueless as to whats wrong.
Harpo
They are a tight fit. Examine the spindle closely for any nicks. Do you have an accurate means of measuring the id of the bearing and the OD of the spindle?

David
falcor75
Axle

Bearing

There's not a huge difference but depending on how I measure I can get higher
readings on the axle, upwards of 31,85. Not sure if its the axle of I've gotten a low quality bearing from my supplier.
infraredcalvin
I have later bilstein struts but there is an inner and outer bearing, different part numbers according to PET. Are you sure you're not using the outer bearing?
falcor75
Yes the outer bearing is much smaller....
bulitt
Did you search the number off the strut to validate the year?
falcor75
Sadly I didnt check the nr before I had the strut powdercoated...just might have to take the paint off and check.....
jcd914
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Aug 24 2014, 09:44 PM) *

Sadly I didnt check the nr before I had the strut powdercoated...just might have to take the paint off and check.....

All 911 struts (up thru 1988 at least) use the same wheel bearings.

Make sure the bearing is straight on the spindle and a little grease helps.
It is easy to get the brearing a little off angle and have it stick or jam.

Jim

bulitt
Pelican tech notes had this-

I did have some problems getting the hub with new bearings and rotor back onto the spindle. It transpired that the inner bearing was not sitting snugly in the inner race which made it impossible to get the hub onto the spindle. Make sure the greased inner bearing is sitting snugly in the race before presenting the hub to the spindle.

Then they suggest slightly tapping the hub with a hammer to get it onto the spindle.

Here is another article- http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...e-question.html

Make sure your spindles are clean.
Put the hubs with bearings installed out in the sun for 20 minutes
Blast the spindles with some cold spray or pack them with ice while the
hubs heat up, then try installing.
bdstone914
Is the problem with both bearings and both spindles? You might polish the spindles with some fine wet or dry sand paper. Check the finish of the inner bearing race. Grease will help a lot. I have always been able to slide them on with no problem. I have some used bearings at the shop and can compare dimensions to what you show.
falcor75
Problem solved by polishing the spindles with 800 grit papper, didnt need much but now it works. Thanks guys smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.