Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil cooler washers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cwpeden
So the cooler comes with 2 washers. Thick and thin.
Which one goes where. I've always put the thick one behind the cooler and used silicone to seal. But on this rebuild I didn't use silicone and it leaks.

Yes, the surfaces are clean and totally silicone free.

I put some grease on it to see how much squash there is on the seal and it was hardly touching.

Hmm, thin washer underneath?
cwpeden
10 ft lbs torque?

Bump
colingreene
My washers are on the outside,
i took it to 5 ft pounds and it seemed high since its such a small thread.
ClayPerrine
There should be no washers between the cooler and the case. If you have them there, the seals won't compress enough, which will cause them to leak.

You only need washers under the nuts.

cwpeden
Hmm, PET list 2 washers and I guess I've always assembled based on the parts supplied. (when I took the engine apart) Well I learned something today. Thanks Clay

I guess if they needed spacers they would have made the bosses on the cooler bigger?

Now does 10 ft lbs sound right?
cwpeden
Hmm, PET list 2 washers and I guess I've always assembled based on the parts supplied. (when I took the engine apart) Well I learned something today. Thanks Clay

Now does 10 ft lbs sound right? Maybe should be more like 7?
mepstein
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 23 2014, 09:40 PM) *

There should be no washers between the cooler and the case. If you have them there, the seals won't compress enough, which will cause them to leak.

You only need washers under the nuts.

Clay is right. I've done this repair as well and when I did it, the instructions weren't very clear about the washers. I only put the rubber seals between the engine and the cooler and the washers under the bolts on the outside of the cooler and it worked perfectly.
McMark
The factory manuals are pretty clear if you look carefully. sunglasses.gif
stugray
I think most of use look at the PET which is not very clear.

IPB Image

And the stock "thick washers" appear to be machined which leads one to believe they are spacers.

I had the same question first time.
cwpeden
Thanks for the help guys.
Going to start the car car tomorrow. I cranked it over on the ground jumping from the battery. I'll assume it made oil pressure and it didnt leak.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.