Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spark Plugs ~ general discussion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dlestep
Back in the day, not so long ago, there were concerns of heat range, indexing and such. One had to consider hot or cold plugs in air-cooled engines.
When twin plugging, one would reduce advance, which would reduce temperature
and increase flame propagation.
But now, there are so many ways to fire the plugs, and I have not seen anything
written about the effects of using Nology wires, Hotwires, etc. expressing
godzilla arc ?
~
Anyone have REAL input on this ?
~
What plugs are you running ?

McMark
In my turbo 1.7 I upgraded from standard bosch plugs to some fancy $14 (EACH!) NGK plugs. Didn't notice a difference even after trying to tweak the tune files. Of course without a bunch of gauges, etc it can be hard to tell.
johnhora
Dave...first question is what engine is this application. Stock, Race, etc.
monkeyboy
One thing I was told was that the stock ignition system doesn't make enough spark energy to make any of the fancy plugs worth it.

None of those fancy ignition parts were designed to work with points, condensors, and old coils.
dlestep
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 29 2014, 03:48 PM) *

In my turbo 1.7 I upgraded from standard bosch plugs to some fancy $14 (EACH!) NGK plugs. Didn't notice a difference even after trying to tweak the tune files. Of course without a bunch of gauges, etc it can be hard to tell.

I am running an older (80's) twin point system. Never had a problem with them.
I am considering Nology wires, but there is a nagging thought in the back of my
mind, about heat range.
I was thinking it would be a half-step toward a system I cannot afford right now.
Anyone have any experience with Nology wires and coil ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.