Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6 heat exchanger price point
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Cairo94507
OK- Then ceramic coating seems like an appropriate finish.
Kaeferfreund
Initial delivery: first quarter 2015?

That sounds good! thumb3d.gif

pete000
Oh, boy ! Sure wish I had three grand laying around !

toolguy
How do we order a set ?

Ordered from Stoddard, was told they are 6-8 weeks out.
sbsix
toolguy, just call the west coast phone number for Stoddard and they'll take your order and charge your credit card when the HE set ships around mid-March.
rick 918-S
Just spotted this! idea.gif
larryM
X2

- it is regularly indicated on this site that 914 guys are CSOB's

if you are able to re-sell an oem part for 30% of original cost you are LUCKY

if you can make a set of clamshells to install over the existing various headers we have all installed for the last 20 yrs - THAT would be a seller !!![color=#CC0000]

some yrs ago sixer oem exh-exchangers were going for $1000-1200 - i even helped local guy sell a set - big money then

got'a ask u'rself

who [b]ever drives a genuine valuable SIXER in bad WX that ever requires heat ????????????????[/b]

personally - I do not do RAIN, and I do not do FOG - i live where it maybe snows 1 week in a year - i stay home by the fire until it goes away

- i put aftermarket TRIAD headers on my genuine sixer back in 1992

& I sold the oem set to a 914-4-6 conversion guy in WA who then bitched cuz they were not factory new concours (for $250) lol-2.gif

(ya ever been to a PCA concours or Parade where anybody inspected your exhaust pipes ??????)

......... I have never regretted the opportunity to maybe drive to Tahoe in a winter blizzard with full heat and defrost

yes, i understand the originality mindset - but i don't subscribe to it

a 914-4 -6 conversion will NEVER be original, nor as valuable as a real six - so why worry about oem repro exhaust ????????????????

QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 1 2014, 12:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Socalandy @ Sep 1 2014, 11:17 AM) *

I wonder if our friends at Restoration Design would take on the clam shells? They do such a nice job on repro 914 sheet metal!!! I sent Pete a PM and the link to this thread pray.gif pray.gif

could they ? Absolutely. The problem is no one in their right minds would put out the expense to make such a part without at least twice the demand required to cover costs of tooling. 10 sets probably 'taint gonna be enough. The startup costs required to machine the dies would probably make most of us faint. IIRC Pete stated the dies fr the front trunk pan had over 80 hours in machining. To be vaguely blunt rolleyes.gif , there's a very good reason why RD makes more products for 356 and 911's then they do for 914's mellow.gif

Here's some reading for ya

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=145738
Mark Henry
I agree Larry, but I need heat.
I love to run with the top off and for a good part of the time that means blasting the heat. But it doesn't need to be factory correct heat, I can figure out something else. A brand new Espar Airtronic with full install kit can had for $900, just have to figure out a location and small fuel (diesel) tank. They are meant to heat a whole transport truck bunk and cab, so I'm pretty sure it would blast out a 914.
I wonder if the fan has enough push to mount in the rear trunk and push through the stock heat tubes?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-heavy-equipment-par...gationFlag=true

Also with these heat exchangers are the tubes only 1-3/8"?
If so, it seem stupid to choke off the exhaust as I've spent a fair buck building a hot twinplug 3.0
bradtho
my 914 is my daily driver and I live in Seattle. the car is not a beater, and one day will be a 6. Heat will be a requirement for me.

Given the common reports that non-OEM heat exchangers don't really provide much heat, I'm not sure I'm willing to put much faith in a "clam shell over a header" solution. If it were that easy then the B&B option ought to work, right?

Now I just gotta decide if I'm gonna pony up the money now or go on faith that I'll be able to buy a set when I'm ready for my conversion.
DEC
Hey,
today I got the offer from my Porsche stuff dealer for
the JP Headers.

The price is 2.170€ ~ $3.000 incl. German VAT

He get only 1 set next week and further 5 sets mid of march
so these are very limitetd at this time.

I get the first set next week and I will report the quality and so on
mepstein
QUOTE(bradtho @ Jan 29 2015, 08:57 PM) *

my 914 is my daily driver and I live in Seattle. the car is not a beater, and one day will be a 6. Heat will be a requirement for me.

Given the common reports that non-OEM heat exchangers don't really provide much heat, I'm not sure I'm willing to put much faith in a "clam shell over a header" solution. If it were that easy then the B&B option ought to work, right?

Now I just gotta decide if I'm gonna pony up the money now or go on faith that I'll be able to buy a set when I'm ready for my conversion.

I have to believe there will be more sets in the future. Too expensive to make up all the tooling for a limited run.
Mikey914
This is the equivalent of a group buy, you know they will make more, but my suspicion is that the price may go up. They're trying to cover their tooling with a pre-sale.
sbsix
I agree, the price will not go down for any future sets. I've seen used HE selling for more than the new ones being offered now. And they were not is the greatest condition either.
johnhora
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 30 2015, 08:51 AM) *

This is the equivalent of a group buy, you know they will make more, but my suspicion is that the price may go up. They're trying to cover their tooling with a pre-sale.

I think you're spot on and from a man that knows a lot about group buys and tooling expenses.

They had hoped for the sale price to be less but the tooling cost was much more than expected and shipping from Europe.....so the current price.

I want to drive my 914-6 more before I get too nervous about doing it.

So I need heat...plain and simple.

The OEM HEs provide heat...maybe not the best in the world but much better that any other solution... other than the "controlled burn" of a Webasto gasoline heater like in an early 911 I had....it would melt both the snow and the rubber soles on your shoes!

I have researched this to death and really at this cost it's not too bad.....it is expensive but so are the alternatives in $$$ and non performance frustration.

I'm just happy that there are still Porsche Nuts (enthusiast) around like 914Rubber, PMB , Stoddards and others that are willing and able to help me keep the old 914-6 alive and performing like it was designed.

THANKS!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.