Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Four to Six Cylinder Swaps
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Larmo63
What threads or information can you provide for me so I can get a comprehensive idea of what I'm facing if I decide to do a six swap? All of the ins and outs? What parts, which engine mount is best, etc. Thanks.
Jeffs9146
That is a very subjective question.

I would say that the motor is based on how much you would like to spend!

There are alot of opinions about the mount. I used the maddog and probably would not do it again due to the way the wiring harness seems to get pinched and the modifications I had to do because I have a 75.

Are you thinking of racing, ax or daily driver?

Every motor has a different list of whats needed to fit it in!

914 Info
Larmo63
I'm going to do a 914-6 2.0+ motor into my '73 fun driver.
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 31 2014, 02:50 PM) *

I'm going to do a 914-6 2.0+ motor into my '73 fun driver.

I would say that the 2.0L will give you the least bang for the buck unless you plan on doing some major H/P modifications.

I have a 3.0L and would have gone 3.2L or 3.6L if I didn't already have a low milage 3.0L sitting around.
914itis
I did a 2.0 swap about a year ago and I enjoy every second of it.

The cost with motor and parts was about $10k

The cost depends on what you get with the engine. If it comes with sheet metals, oil cooler and oil lines, that alone will save you about 1k

Heat exchanger or headers, mufflers will save you another 1k

Mine was bare. I got sheet metals, cooler and mount, headers from rich Johnson.
Muffler from a member here and the oil lines and tank from Patrick motors ports.

If you have any other specific questions feel free to ask.
Good luck.
mepstein
i read every thread on this board dealing with 6 conversions and a bunch of threads on pelican about 6 engines. *note - I'm a fast reader and I enjoy reading and specifically about 914's, so this was not a chore for me. I would at least read 5-10 different conversion threads so you can see what your getting yourself into. There is not "best" but you should think about the parameters that are important to you and the budget and then you will get good feedback and information to help you make better choices. If I had to do it all over again, I would probably wait for someone else's completed 6 to come up for sale. But I am enjoying the journey.
patssle
Everybody does theirs a bit differently too. You'll also discover things as you go that nobody talks about (such as the differences of muffler hangers that I just solved today). Or that the shift rod hits my headers. But overall most things are covered - just do plenty of reading to know what you're getting in to.
Clemson
I just (picked it up Friday) a 3.2 conversion.

I learned a lot from this thread - http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...446&hl=sexy

Joe @ Series9 has it figured out. I was originally going to go with him but elected to go with Black Forest Racing, Denver, NC mainly due to proximity. Black Forest did a great job, John Forbes lives and breathes 914's. The oil cooler set up that Joe did and I copied works great and you don't loose the front trunk.

Hope this helps.

You can check out my thread too,
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=238271
not as detailed as the one above. Once the metal work was done it went together in 2 weeks.

PS used the Patrick mount
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.