Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: drd racing heads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hine62
I'm getting ready for my next project and wondering if anyone has ordered from www.drdracingheads.com?

hine62
Hine62
Anyone?
PotterPorsche
great for vw stuff. had a couple of L5 and L6 no experience on type 4
Bartlett 914
I have heard that the AMC heads are good castings but the hardware was poor. It would be interesting to find it these are using the supplied AMC hardware
Hine62
Thanks for the replies. I will soon be buying from them. smile.gif

Hine62
bdstone914
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Sep 3 2014, 10:55 AM) *

I have heard that the AMC heads are good castings but the hardware was poor. It would be interesting to find it these are using the supplied AMC hardware

Was told they use the AM hardware which gas a bad rep.
Is that what you are looking for?
PotterPorsche
What is the plan? Just heads or a complete stroker kit? I would call Darren directly, tell him what you want. He can add most likely anything you want. In type 1 stuff his heads provide good power. I assume any spring combo,chromoly retainers, stainless valves. He used to hand port all his heads, he now uses cnc machine. Do a search on www.thesamba.com
jim_hoyland
A member here, can't remember his screen name, from Ohio had some work done there. As a favor, I stopped by their shop and talked to the owner. It was a one man show and lots of work in process.
Hine62
I plan on a stroker kit and heads.

I thought about getting a set of 2.0l heads and sending them to HeadFlowMasters. It would save money...

I also thought about a Raby kit for $6500.

Sooner or later I'll pull the trigger on one of these options. With winter coming up I want something to work on.

hine62

P.S. I'm also looking at this cam
tornik550
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Sep 3 2014, 07:54 PM) *

A member here, can't remember his screen name, from Ohio had some work done there. As a favor, I stopped by their shop and talked to the owner. It was a one man show and lots of work in process.

I think that was me. I had some work done there. I had the heads cut for dual valve springs. I also had new guides and seats. Everything came out great. The work from DRD appeared to be of good quality.
PotterPorsche
If you are going stroker say 78mm Drd seems like a decent kit. For me I would use dpr machine. For the crank. Use my existing German crank and stroke it. AA pistons for the cylinder and pistons say 96mm . Use 22mm wrist pin pistons . Heads drd.
Cb performance on the h beam rods, and brothers vw machine on any case work. Web cam on the camshaft. I come from a type 1 vw back ground so I may be a little bias. Or to keep it simple get it all in 1 kit from drd.
colingreene
Also talk to Jorge at European Motor Works.
hes been great to deal with for me and always has what i need, and will always try to point me in the right direction. and that sometimes is worth more than any money you can throw at something.
Black22
agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
Hine62
I did look at European Motorworks, and emailed them with no response. I'll try to call them. They had cases and machine shop services.

I also tried to piece together a kit, but there are too many variables I don't know yet. That's why I choose a kit.

hine62
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Hine62 @ Sep 3 2014, 07:56 PM) *

I also thought about a Raby kit for $6500.

That's a VW kit. Different flywheel for one thing.
This is the Porsche Engine Kit link: 914 2270 Kit
Hine62
Thanks Racer Chris! I should have noticed it said VW on the kit number!

hine62
Sfreeman615
I was going to go with the 2316 Kit they offer, but after talking extensively with Mark from Original Customs, I decided to go with LN Engineering/Jake Raby. Mark walked me thru the heads and explained that there is nothing wrong with the DRD heads, but that the LN Engineering heads would produce more power and much better results just due to the design and construction from the original AMC castings. The DRD heads are based on NEW castings and taken from the VW Bus 2 liter specs, not the 914. I'm a novice, just repeating what Mark told me and I trust him when it comes to 914's!
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Sfreeman615 @ Sep 4 2014, 05:30 PM) *

I was going to go with the 2316 Kit they offer, but after talking extensively with Mark from Original Customs, I decided to go with LN Engineering/Jake Raby. Mark walked me thru the heads and explained that there is nothing wrong with the DRD heads, but that the LN Engineering heads would produce more power and much better results just due to the design and construction from the original AMC castings. The DRD heads are based on NEW castings and taken from the VW Bus 2 liter specs, not the 914. I'm a novice, just repeating what Mark told me and I trust him when it comes to 914's!

Mark was spot on.

Though the Type 4 Store is no longer a division of my company, things have stayed the same and we continue to pass on developments to the LN Engineering program.

We took the time to replicate the 914 chamber characteristics and etc when developing the heads, so you'll benefit from that..

Hine62
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 5 2014, 10:21 AM) *

We took the time to replicate the 914 chamber characteristics and etc when developing the heads, so you'll benefit from that..

Thanks Jake! Exactly what I needed to know. Whould the RS+ heads be the ones recommended for a 914?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.