Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: does anyone on forum own a 911?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
SixerJ
Eric's comments are spot on re handling. Back in 1996 I found my 72S after 2 years of looking. 4 weeks after purchase & while gingerly driving to work on a frosty and very cold winter morning I managed to do a double 360 on a motorway slip lane on black ice

Fortunately I was only doing about 20mph and there was nothing around me. 200 yds up the road was a 38 Ton arctic on the hard shoulder and a destroyed Volvo. Clearly he wasn't quite so lucky with the traffic

I learnt an important lesson that day, don't instinctively lift completely off, I'm no Vic Elford and 911's (least the early ones) bite if not treated with respect

The breathed on 2.4 MFI 911 is a pocket rocket and a hoot to drive but the 914 I think is much more fun on twisty back roads - plus in the UK it gets more comments and looks as no one knows what it is biggrin.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Sep 10 2014, 12:47 AM) *
Still weighing the pros and cons between an SC and a G50 Carrera. For those of you who own either, advice is appreciated.

The 3.2 motor is more powerful, but not really any faster. They made the gears taller when they put the larger motor in--it gets better fuel economy, but the acceleration is about the same as the SC.

The 3.2's Motronic injection is a more modern system than the CIS on the 3.0 motor. It's easier to find people who know it and can work on it. Not that much of a factor if you're doing the work yourself, but it could become more important down the road.

I don't really remember driving a G50, though I know I have. I guess that means it is as good as advertised? The 915 box can be a cranky beast, kind of like our 901 can.

--DD
BK911
Does this count?
Maybe as 1/2?
71E Targa rustbucket!!

sheeplove.gif

Click to view attachment
BK911
QUOTE(BK911 @ Sep 10 2014, 01:58 PM) *

Does this count?
Maybe as 1/2?
71E Targa rustbucket!!

sheeplove.gif

Click to view attachment

Bought "needing nothing" and was a little disappointed when she showed up. Shudda asked for pics.

piratenanner.gif
tumamilhem
QUOTE(SixerJ @ Sep 10 2014, 09:48 AM) *

Eric's comments are spot on re handling. Back in 1996 I found my 72S after 2 years of looking. 4 weeks after purchase & while gingerly driving to work on a frosty and very cold winter morning I managed to do a double 360 on a motorway slip lane on black ice

Fortunately I was only doing about 20mph and there was nothing around me. 200 yds up the road was a 38 Ton arctic on the hard shoulder and a destroyed Volvo. Clearly he wasn't quite so lucky with the traffic

I learnt an important lesson that day, don't instinctively lift completely off, I'm no Vic Elford and 911's (least the early ones) bite if not treated with respect

The breathed on 2.4 MFI 911 is a pocket rocket and a hoot to drive but the 914 I think is much more fun on twisty back roads - plus in the UK it gets more comments and looks as no one knows what it is biggrin.gif

drooley.gif chowtime.gif
tumamilhem
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 10 2014, 12:56 PM) *

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Sep 10 2014, 12:47 AM) *
Still weighing the pros and cons between an SC and a G50 Carrera. For those of you who own either, advice is appreciated.

The 3.2 motor is more powerful, but not really any faster. They made the gears taller when they put the larger motor in--it gets better fuel economy, but the acceleration is about the same as the SC.

The 3.2's Motronic injection is a more modern system than the CIS on the 3.0 motor. It's easier to find people who know it and can work on it. Not that much of a factor if you're doing the work yourself, but it could become more important down the road.

I don't really remember driving a G50, though I know I have. I guess that means it is as good as advertised? The 915 box can be a cranky beast, kind of like our 901 can.

--DD

Someone here recommended a while ago I read "The Used 911 Story" (which I bought and read). I guess the big determining factors between them are few but noteworthy.

The SC's 915 tranny seems to be more of a "driver's" tranny, but fussy like the 901, whereas the later Carrera's G50 is heavier (though makes up in larger 3.2) but much smoother and more reliable. Also the SCs are considered "bulletproof" except for something in the engine that is notorious for breaking (I forget offhand, I'd have to refer to the book). The Carrera has a much better AC and vents in it than the SC. And I live in NE FL so that is important.
dcheek
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Sep 9 2014, 11:47 PM) *

QUOTE(dcheek @ Sep 9 2014, 11:21 AM) *

This is my 1989 911 Carrera. Last of the "Accordion Bumper" coupes. They only made 1100+ coupes that year. That was a transitional year where the 964 C4 911 was introduced and the Carreras where phased out. I always wanted a 911 and this one happened to come up for sale in our local PCA Region. I bought it 12 years ago with 1794 miles and I'm the 3rd owner! Yes I paid top dollar, but it was essentially a new car. I was lured by the low mileage and the color combination (Grand Prix White with Burgundy interior) not for the fact it was the last run of the Carreras. It's a wonderful car to drive with tons of torque and rock solid, with one of the best shifters I've ever experienced, namely the G50. I love this car. It's a completely different driving experience in that you sit higher and is much more powerful than my 914. I can't pick one over the other though. I like them both for their own virtues. But, there is something to be said for having 6 air cooled cylinders. I guess that's why the 914-6's are so cherished. That, and the limited production numbers are driving the 6 prices through the roof! All I know is that 60-80K can get you some serious 911. I'm just saying.....
Click to view attachment

That's exactly what I'm looking for. I'm pretty much set on an 88-89 Carrera, pref coupe but will consider a targa (no convertible). Still weighing the pros and cons between an SC and a G50 Carrera. For those of you who own either, advice is appreciated.

I love the 914. I've had 3 and will always have 1. I was considering getting (in addition to my LE) a /6 conversion or an SC or late 80's Carrera. I've pretty much decided to go the 911 route but still deciding which one to get.

If I had to do it all over again, especially knowing what I know now, I would still go for the '89 over an '87 or '88, simply because it's last of the 911 serial number cars (VIN number starts with a 911) Also, it's the final version, and most improved of the Carrera 3.2 Model run, and it's the only non-turbo 3.2 Carrera that came standard with 16" diameter 8" width wheels in the back. The 87's and 88's and prior years had 7's in the rear. I know the 16 x 8's are very expensive both new and used for this reason.

As far as the trans, the 915 is okay. It's requires a little more finesse whereas the G50 is more Hurst-like; very positive and tight. You can really bang through the gears with no problem.

Just keep in mind the 89's are 25 years old now. SC's are even older, so finding one that hasn't been wooped will be harder. They're still too "new" to fully restore and not be upside down, so you're better off paying top dollar for a low mileage, well maintained car if you plan on keeping it for any length of time.

Holt Motorsports has many 911's of this era. Check out his website.
www.holtmotorsports.com

Good luck!

Dave

naro914
We've owned 3 911's
This is when our garage looked best:

Click to view attachment
Jeffs9146
I loved daily driving my 67 911s and wish I had held on to it long enough to realize the extreme jump in values over the past 20 years!!
BK911
QUOTE(naro914 @ Sep 10 2014, 04:27 PM) *

We've owned 3 911's
This is when our garage looked best:

Click to view attachment

Dang man. You know you've made some good decisions in life when you have to (and can) stack your Porsches!!
campbellcj
I had a '70 911E from 1990-2002, which I daily drove for a while and then did a pretty thorough resto, then sold it to help with a house downpayment. I got at most half of what I'd put into it. Now that damn car would probably cover the whole downpayment, but that's life.

From around 1999-present I've also been into 914s but my current 914 got to the point where it was not really streetable anymore, and I started really jonesing for another 911 street car.

So finally after many years I got this. It's a 2009 997.1 Turbo, manual trans. This is the last year of the classic Mezger GT1-type engine as well as one of the last manual trans turbos, but it has the updated PCM dash/electronics of the 997.2 generation. It is a really spectacular machine and I doubt I'll ever sell it, or my 914. Especially my 914.

IPB Image2009 911 Turbo on Mulholland by cjcam, on Flickr
naro914
QUOTE(BK911 @ Sep 10 2014, 07:24 PM) *

Dang man. You know you've made some good decisions in life when you have to (and can) stack your Porsches!!

thanks. Yes, we have been very fortunate to have the things we have. We work hard at it (and we have NO KIDS).
The GT3 replaced the 993, this picture just happens to be in the short time we still had both, before selling the 200k mile cab!

the other 911 we had was a '69 that I picked up for $4k to restore..and it ran at the time!! Was spending so much time getting Huey and Papa Smurf to where we wanted that the '69 sat for 5 years. Finally decided to sell the '69... a bit too early....should have kept it! Could have a 2010 GT3 now!!

Our 911's are daily drivers - the 993 we bought with 70k miles, sold with 200. Had it for 10 years.
The GT3 we bought with 16k miles 3 years ago. Now has 75k.
BK911
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Sep 10 2014, 11:55 PM) *

I had a '70 911E from 1990-2002, which I daily drove for a while and then did a pretty thorough resto, then sold it to help with a house downpayment. I got at most half of what I'd put into it. Now that damn car would probably cover the whole downpayment, but that's life.

I think I remember that car. Light blue targa? One of my all time favorite cars. The 2.2E targas are the shizzle, IMHO.
campbellcj
QUOTE(BK911 @ Sep 11 2014, 05:05 AM) *

I think I remember that car. Light blue targa? One of my all time favorite cars. The 2.2E targas are the shizzle, IMHO.

Correct, medium metallic blue. I loved that car and truly wish I'd kept it. It was the first car I bought with my own dough after finishing college. Now they are crazy money. Even back at the time I restored it (~2000) I had around $5,000 just into the friggen seats. The car even had its complete original toolkit, which is worth like $1,500 these days. Also a set of (5) correct 15x6 deep Fuchs with fresh period-correct Michelin tires, plus the 16x6's shown here.

IPB Image1970 Porsche 911E Targa by cjcam, on Flickr
ripper911
You point put two reasons why I'm not selling my 911 any time soon. It's the first car I bought with my own money, and if I did sell it I wouldn't be able to afford to buy another one. dry.gif

It has been a good investment for sure, and it looks like the values of the longhoods will keep rising.
BK911
Yup, that's the one. Besides my personal cars, that is tied with boboloo's Irish green targa as my all time favorite. My condolences for your loss.
jfort
My first Porsche was a 914-6 in 1976. Needed to put in a baby car seat, so I then had a series of older 911's ending in a 73S. Now that was a great car -- the one I should have never sold. After recovering from a divorce, I got the six and now I've added a 77 930.

The six (with a 2.5 and set up for auto crossing) is clearly the most fun to drive. The sound, the handling, no comparison. It makes the 930 feel like a Buick. I remember the older 911's to be more agile than the 930 but, as others have said, a little scary at the limits.
puffinator
Bought my 1st Porsche in 1967 and 1st 911 (E Targa) in 1972 and have had one ever since. Currently have these Porsches shown in pic. Love them all.

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
1979 930 #742, no computers, lots of grunt, light weight, air conditioned and surrounded in a cabin of leather driving.gif
Click to view attachment
ripper911
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Sep 12 2014, 10:40 AM) *

1979 930 #742, no computers, lots of grunt, light weight, air conditioned and surrounded in a cabin of leather driving.gif
Click to view attachment

Amazing traction! bootyshake.gif
Maltese Falcon
...Sticky tires do the trick Click to view attachment
Marty
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.