Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electrical Gremlins - Fuse 8 fried
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tadink
Hey all -

I've done some research on the forum and looked at most / all of the electrical troubleshooting guides - but my issue has me stumped.....

71 Tub, 2.0L engine

My fuse 8 fries when the headlamps are turned on - but works fine otherwise. Well, it also fries when the wiper motor is turned on - so something is not right.

Other symptoms: When turn indicators are 'on' the e-brake big red light flashes

Upon inspection - I see that there is a jumper from my fuse 8 to fuse 9, I don't see that shown on any of the wiring diagrams I've looked at. You can see it in the pic below - a black wire from 8 to 9.

Some clever PO had a stereo system in there and much of the electronical connections are a bit 'non standard' but the stereo is long gone.

I don't have an e-brake and so the e-brake sensing wire is not attached.

As you can see from the attached pic of the fuse 8, it is not just fried but MELTED too! yipes.

Any thoughts on a process forward from here??? Can you tell anything by looking at the fuse panel that a newb like me won't notice?

note: I did get in there an clean the grounding point while I was upside down under the dash....

thanks in advance....

td
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
I had a problem with #8 and tracked it down to the brake switch grounding out.
Mike Bellis
Dave_Darling
I had a problem with #8 and tracked it down to the fuse panel shifting in its mounting, so that the stereo plug touched the edge of the panel the fuse panel is mounted on!

--DD
tadink
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Sep 4 2014, 06:52 PM) *

Thanks Mike / Dave - how did you track that down???

I'm out of 25A fuses now - any idea on a good source for these?

Forgot to mention in my OP that when the fuse8 is blown, stepping on the brakes kills the tach, and illuminates the big red e-brake light, as well as the turn signal indicator lights....so I'm thinking that someone may have been 'helping' the original electrical layout with some of his own 'good ideas'.....that jumper from fuse8 to 9 might be one example of that.

thx

td
Dave_Darling
I found mine by accident. After, ummm, way too long of having the tach die when I went over a big-enough bump... I was looking for something else, and I realized that one of the screws holding the fuse block onto the panel was missing.

--DD
SirAndy
The light switch has two stages. Does it blow with the actual headlight on or does it blow already when you only turn on the dash lights?

If the latter, check the small square "defroster" light on top of the center tunnel next to the shifter.
The contacts for the light on the back can easily short out on the chassis and blow a fuse.
idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.