Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Do You Re-Attach the Rear Trunk Torsion Bars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
The PO unhooked the rear torsion bars for the trunk. Nothing holds the trunk up when open....damn that thing is heavy.

The bars are still bolted in the car but the ends are not wrapped on the trunk supports/hinges.

I don't really want to add struts; the stock system should work fine for me if set up right.

Is there an established process?
Spoke
Get a socket extension, 3/8 inch, and put the end on the torsion bar and carefully pull it down to get below the roller.

Use heavy gloves and goggles cause those springs can launch the extension.

Others may chime in with a better/safer method...
TheCabinetmaker
What he meant to say was, use a10mm deep socket on an extension.
914_teener
I would have a helper on this one having done it.

You need new metal or plastic rollers if they are not there.

You can get the metal ones at the Bird.

Other than that a pretty easy .........
mskala
If you have access to a welder, you can use a straight piece of stock
with 2 'pins' welded on, about an inch high, just enough space between them
for the torsion bar diameter. I could post a pic later.
bandjoey
Isn't there a Pelican pictorial on this?
Jeffs9146
Trunk Torsion Bars
7TPorsh
I bumped the old thread for the pics...http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=9827
mskala
Here's what I made recently from 3/16" scrap. Plenty of leverage.

Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
Here is a thread on putting the torsion bars back on....

Torsion Bar install

BTW... the notched crescent wrench was invented in 1977 by the late Wes Hildreth.

boxstr
What about rear trunk shox?
Craig at CAMP
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(boxstr @ Sep 10 2014, 07:36 PM) *

What about rear trunk shox?

Evidently not an option at this particular time:
I don't really want to add struts; the stock system should work fine for me if set up right.

--DD
buck toenges
The notched crescent wrench is the ticket. have a helper and read up the pelican thread. Just take it easy and keep your fingers out of the way.
mtndawg
Agreed on the crescent wrench. It works great. It's a (very careful) 2 person job...again, be careful or you'll take a body part off if you slip. It should be very uneventful when done correctly.
monkeyboy
I can show you some broken thumb pics from when mine was reinstalled... Trunk shocks are the bomb.

Those stupid torsion bars cause undue stress on the pivots as well.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Sep 11 2014, 03:41 PM) *

I can show you some broken thumb pics from when mine was reinstalled... Trunk shocks are the bomb.

If you regularly lubricate the pivot bushings, then the stress is no more than any other part.

I have two 914s with the torsion bars. I keep them lubed so they don't make noise, and the only time I replaced the pivots is when I first got the cars, 28 years ago.

ruby914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 11 2014, 04:21 PM) *

QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Sep 11 2014, 03:41 PM) *

If you regularly lubricate the pivot bushings, then the stress is no more than any other part.

I have two 914s with the torsion bars. I keep them lubed so they don't make noise, and the only time I replaced the pivots is when I first got the cars, 28 years ago.

This is what I made. It worked well for me.
Don't need it now. Stop by, If your in the hood. Or, PM me your address and I will send it up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.