Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternate fuel pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cwpeden
The last of my stock 73 2.0L fuel pumps gave up the ghost this week. Leaking out the electrical connector. So i'm looking for an alternate.

I would like to replace it with an off the shelf pump that can be gotten almost anywhere. First I've come up with is the Holley 12-920 or 927.

Anyone using these? If so, suggestions on plumbing?

Cap'n Krusty
Either will be fine, unless you want your car to actually run. Pressure's 1/2 to 2/3 of what is necessary just to pressurize the system. The OE pumps put out upwards of 45 psi and operate at about 30. Just go with the later Bosch pump, sold at NAPA stores. Fittment is for 1975-1979 VW beetles and 1976-1991 bus/vanagons.

The Cap'n
cwpeden
That's what I thought. Couldn't figure out how the Holley pump could be both 15 and 45 psi?
ClayPerrine
There is a replacement after market pump:

Airtex E8445. It produces the same pressure and volume of the stock pump.

I have been running one in Betty's 914 with L-Jet for 5 years. And you can get it from your FLAPS for about $100.00.

cwpeden
And the install is as simple as getting rid of the Y and that hose goes back to tank? Check fuel pressure and away we go?

Check fuel pressure procedure?

PS thanks
jim_hoyland
This FI pump has been recommended in past posts:

Fuel Pump napa #N69133.
messix
rock auto has them a hell of a lot less than napa $122.00 http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.p...&cc=1285961
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Sep 11 2014, 12:36 PM) *

And the install is as simple as getting rid of the Y and that hose goes back to tank? Check fuel pressure and away we go?

Check fuel pressure procedure?

PS thanks

Not that simple, but close. The new Bosch pump has a 12mm inlet. The correct filter has a 12mm outlet, so you'll need a piece of 12mm hose to close the gap. The filter fits the same adapter hose as the old filter, 9mm to 7mm. 914 356 528 00, which is NLA. Might contact Chris Foley for a replacement part.

The Cap'n
cwpeden
Thanks for all your input guys. I feel more confident that I'm doing the right thing with the right parts.

Dtjaden
Amazon has the Airtex pump kit for $71.66.

http://www.amazon.com/Airtex-E8445-Univers...c/dp/B001BFOBXA
cwpeden
Supported the local dealer and got the Bosch pump. Now all I need is the 12mm outlet filter and I'm off to the races. Any FLAPS part number suggestions?

Literally, I have an autocross on Sunday.
bandjoey
Racer Chris has the reducer but for tomorrow go to the hardware store and get brass nipples screwed together. Take some fuel line with u for proper sizes
EdwardBlume
I installed the new fuel pump in Dads car. So far so good. Not a super easy install though.

First, there is no FI fuel line to connect the larger intake to a larger out put of the fuel filter. I had to use regular fuel or whatever hose. Second, same issue with clamps. I didn't go with any reducer and a different filter.

Third, routing the fuel lines in a loop per others experience and pictures makes sense. Buy enough FI fuel line.

Fourth, the electric connections are different, but if you look carefully, the stock electric plug is labelled as is the pump. I just made a line that plugs into the stock plug and is screwed on the pump. Different sized nuts on the pump I thought too.

Lastly, I used a stock mount bracket and attached it to the firewall using poprivets. The fit isn't perfect so I lined the bracket with neoprene which did the trick. Don't over tighten the pump as you can tweak it.

Be prepared to crawl under your car many times.

In retrospect, it probably would have been easier to just mount it in the front trunk, which I did to a car years ago with good results.
cary
Here's the FLAPS part number.
WIX 33274 or NAPA 3274

I went with this one.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.p...&cc=1263204
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.