Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2015 Amelia Island Concours to Celebrate the 914!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
flipb
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Oct 2 2014, 12:45 AM) *

What do u think of the Caddy? biggrin.gif

It makes me wonder if all this time I've misunderstood what "d'elegance" means.

(I gotta be careful there, some might say the same about our beloved.)
jgara962
Very cool! Hopefully the east coast contingent makes a good showing. I was surprised at how few 914's were in the corral a few years ago when the Monterey Historics celebrated Porsche.
lonewolfe
QUOTE(jgara962 @ Oct 2 2014, 07:18 PM) *

Very cool! Hopefully the east coast contingent makes a good showing. I was surprised at how few 914's were in the corral a few years ago when the Monterey Historics celebrated Porsche.

Isn't there another Rennsport Reunion coming in 2015? We should make sure to have a big 914 turnout for the next one. I went to the last one three years ago and it was an amazing event! Highly recommended!
tumamilhem
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 19 2014, 09:01 AM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 17 2014, 07:23 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 17 2014, 10:19 AM) *

Hey T.C., you know anyone that we can contact about parking? I would be up for this but would have to start planning now. I would bring two cars. The Alien and 7 of 9.

I will start putting out feelers. I'll eMail Brian Redman's son who broke this News to me a couple of Days ago.

I was on the Horn last night til about 11 with a Very Good Friend of mine that works at Brumos (just got Promoted). He is a 914-6 Guy (he is a Member here but never Posts) and he will work on doing something

PM me the name of your guy so I can say hi when I'm there (I'm in Jacksonville). Some of those guys know me from my LE.

My mechanic was the chief mechanic and Service Manager at Brumos Porsche for decades.
tumamilhem
QUOTE(URY914 @ Sep 16 2014, 08:18 PM) *

I got an email today and they want my car in the show. biggrin.gif

That's awesome! They are interested in having my LE Can Am in the show too! Just got my postcard from them. Waiting on confirmation.

BTW my next door neighbor is Bill Warner's personal assistant and Sergeant at Arms for the Concours. He has an interesting job - he's the one who writes up all the personal histories for each car that's displayed! He stopped by last night while walking his dogs (I was in the garage detailing the LE) and told him the news. He said he'll start writing up the histories in the next week or two.

Anybody going should definitely hit me up. I'm in Jacksonville (next to Amelia Island for those not familiar). Would be great to get a group of cars to go together. The drive up along the intracoastal where it meets the ocean is definitely targa worthy! smile.gif
tumamilhem
QUOTE(John Jentz @ Sep 18 2014, 11:27 AM) *

QUOTE(RFoulds @ Sep 17 2014, 06:32 PM) *

Too far for me from CA. I STRONGLY suggest someone contact the organizers and ask for a 914 corral. a Corral gets you car, driver and passenger in for a flat price, parking up close, and even more respect.
When I do the Desert Classic concours I offer corrals to just about any car club.

The Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance Office:
3016 Mercury Road South
Jacksonville, Florida 32207
Office: (904) 636-0027
Fax: (904) 636-0171
first.gif

There is no onsite parking for this event. You park at the airport, golf courses, peoples front yards and take shuttle busses or walk. There are no corrals at the event.

You can see what it takes to get on the lawn on Sat morning for the "Cars and Coffee", that's as close as you'll get to participating.

There are several open parking lots across the street from the Ritz-Carlton where the Concours is located. Parking is usually $20. I always park on the street in the same neighborhood (coincidentally, in the same spot between two houses) next to a couple of these lots every year.
tumamilhem
Keeping my fingers crossed! driving.gif

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Contacted RM Auctions about putting a 914 in the Action. The guys say's... Ah.. it really isn't the venue for a 914 since most of the cars auction of 500k..

Still a NARP. dry.gif
naro914
I disagree Rick....VERY FEW Porsches are worth over 500k. Are you saying that all <$500k Porsches are Not A Real Porsche?

rick 918-S
QUOTE(naro914 @ Oct 4 2014, 04:50 PM) *

I disagree Rick....VERY FEW Porsches are worth over 500k. Are you saying that all <$500k Porsches are Not A Real Porsche?

I'm saying I was dissed on the phone. The guy was a jerk. Unless your car is a special factory team race car or something rare your not really welcome there.

It's a 914 event after all isn't it?
Johny Blackstain
Fact: the 1st 2 VWs ever, were built in Dr. Porsches garage. I find the term NARP ridiculous, unless you apply it to non Porsche/VW powered conversions.
naro914
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Oct 4 2014, 06:06 PM) *

I find the term NARP ridiculous....

I agree. I'm tired of every time someone says something not totally complimentary about a 914 everyone immediately screams "NARP"

Honestly, it's the 914 owners perpetuating this NARP thing, not everyone else...
rick 918-S
My point in using the term is to return the insult to a unknowing dimwit car jockey. The uppity A hole obviously doesn't realize that many of the auction attendees will likely be there because of the 914. Sure our cars are not worth 500k so his cut won't be the value of a new SUV but seriously.... WTF.gif

The guy told me unless you have a special 914 factory race car or something rare it's not the venue for you. finger.gif
MartyYeoman
Would a 914 Limousine be rare enough? idea.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Oct 4 2014, 05:32 PM) *

biggrin.gif For us ya. sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif For the car jockey with the Rolex and the Bostonians.. Nay !
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 4 2014, 06:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Oct 4 2014, 05:32 PM) *

biggrin.gif For us ya. sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif For the car jockey with the Rolex and the Bostonians.. Nay !

I think King George has his 916 listed for 450K so that won't even meet our "friends" criteria. laugh.gif
akellym
Got my post card today biggrin.gif Click to view attachment
tumamilhem
QUOTE(akellym @ Oct 4 2014, 08:29 PM) *

Sweet! Hit me up if you come! I will be there! smile.gif
tumamilhem
QUOTE(naro914 @ Oct 4 2014, 06:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Oct 4 2014, 06:06 PM) *

I find the term NARP ridiculous....

I agree. I'm tired of every time someone says something not totally complimentary about a 914 everyone immediately screams "NARP"

Honestly, it's the 914 owners perpetuating this NARP thing, not everyone else...

I concur. Porsche and VW and even Audi shared a lot of parts to cut costs. People forget that the 356 was made with lots of VW parts. I hear those are kinda valuable. wink.gif
tumamilhem
Furthermore, the Type 4 engine in the 914 was not used in any VW car, but was based off the VW. And once the engine was assembled, the 2.0 was then further modified by Porsche, having their hands in it for the final say so (larger bore, etc. than the VW).
carr914
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Oct 5 2014, 01:28 AM) *

Furthermore, the Type 4 engine in the 914 was not used in any VW car, but was based off the VW. And once the engine was assembled, the 2.0 was then further modified by Porsche, having their hands in it for the final say so (larger bore, etc. than the VW).

The 2.0 was All Porsche

from The Man, Hans Mezger

Click to view attachment
akellym
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Oct 5 2014, 12:21 AM) *

QUOTE(akellym @ Oct 4 2014, 08:29 PM) *

Sweet! Hit me up if you come! I will be there! smile.gif

Sounds good!
914Next
This is very tempting. Our survivor '73 2.0 was delivered today. Needs a few months of cleaning and detailing and then just may be perfect timing for Amelia Island. Five hour drive for us.
JFJ914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 4 2014, 05:57 PM) *

I'm saying I was dissed on the phone. The guy was a jerk. Unless your car is a special factory team race car or something rare your not really welcome there.

Sorry, Rick, Amelia is NOT going to be a 914 show. The 914 is being honored, so enough of this NARP stuff, which means a few significant 914's will be in a special exhibit. I predict that a 914 WILL NOT win best of show.

As far as RM is concerned, they do auction a couple of Porsches every year. expensive 356's, 911's, a 959 one year. They would certainly auction Georges' 916 if he was inclined to sell at auction. Auctions are all about money to the auction company. they get an additional 10% buyers premium, why would they settle for a 914 if it takes the place of a $500K car?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(John Jentz @ Oct 5 2014, 12:03 PM) *

Sorry, Rick, Amelia is NOT going to be a 914 show. The 914 is being honored, so enough of this NARP stuff, which means a few significant 914's will be in a special exhibit. I predict that a 914 WILL NOT win best of show.

As far as RM is concerned, they do auction a couple of Porsches every year. expensive 356's, 911's, a 959 one year. They would certainly auction Georges' 916 if he was inclined to sell at auction. Auctions are all about money to the auction company. they get an additional 10% buyers premium, why would they settle for a 914 if it takes the place of a $500K car?

I can't make it anymore simple for you. slap.gif Read my post above. I posted my point in using the term is to return the insult to a unknowing dimwit car jockey. The uppity A hole obviously doesn't realize that many of the auction attendees will likely be there because of the 914.

I'm sorry you don't feel your car is worthy enough for a high end auction. I guess you know your place. I don't happen to feel I'm any less worthy of a customer than some old fart with more money than his 18 year old trophy wife can spend. Sorry your not offended when someone looks down their nose at you.

tumamilhem
So I hear that George Hussey's OG 916 will be one of the cars featured for the 914 showcas!

And the mack of all 914s - Dr. Porsche's prototype 914-8 is coming from the Porsche museum! So I hear...

piratenanner.gif
wingnut86
It's agreed then, we ALL stay at Phil's house!!

Bring any really cheap parts you want to sell HIGH - that's where Phil really shines.

Hey Buddy evilgrin.gif

beer.gif

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Sep 19 2014, 11:26 PM) *

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Sep 17 2014, 05:17 PM) *

QUOTE(anderssj @ Sep 17 2014, 10:07 AM) *

681 miles . . . idea.gif

1,887 miles...

144 miles!
piratenanner.gif

wingnut86
If I can squirrel away enough in Sterling by that date, I may add a Gold Covered Jacuzzi. I had to boost the displacement the bit, so I hope George isn't too upset if I am invited to sell at auction.

I am still shoehorning the slightly modified Merlin 12 cylinder into the 914, and had to move the windshield and Bonneville single seat up to just behind the front valance. BUT, she really takes the wind in when the cruise is engaged happy11.gif

Click to view attachment

I hope this one isn't considered a NARP evilgrin.gif

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 5 2014, 03:36 PM) *

QUOTE(John Jentz @ Oct 5 2014, 12:03 PM) *

I can't make it anymore simple for you. slap.gif Read my post above. I posted my point in using the term is to return the insult to a unknowing dimwit car jockey. The uppity A hole obviously doesn't realize that many of the auction attendees will likely be there because of the 914.

I'm sorry you don't feel your car is worthy enough for a high end auction. I guess you know your place. I don't happen to feel I'm any less worthy of a customer than some old fart with more money than his 18 year old trophy wife can spend. Sorry your not offended when someone looks down their nose at you.

DRPHIL914
so i havent heard from you in 6 months and this is what i get? well you are still welcome to hang out down here in the low country anyway but you get to sleep out int the barn sheeplove.gif poke.gif

seriously though, how far out are you from getting that thing/ scotty getting that thing/ on the road buddy?

QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Oct 20 2014, 12:37 AM) *

It's agreed then, we ALL stay at Phil's house!!

Bring any really cheap parts you want to sell HIGH - that's where Phil really shines.

Hey Buddy evilgrin.gif

beer.gif

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Sep 19 2014, 11:26 PM) *

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Sep 17 2014, 05:17 PM) *

QUOTE(anderssj @ Sep 17 2014, 10:07 AM) *

681 miles . . . idea.gif

1,887 miles...

144 miles!
piratenanner.gif

orthobiz
Got my rejection postcard...Anybody else gonna be on the lawn??

Paul
tumamilhem
For those of you going to the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance, I am organizing a 914 World Member meetup/caravan to the event.
Link here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=246326
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.