Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Holy crap that's stuck!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
I'm in the process of rebuilding my pedal cluster.. I got as far as trying to get the pin out of the clutch pedal.

I have tried:

pounding
pressing with a vice
drilling (broke 1 bit, bent another, dulled several)
heating with a torch along with all of the above

It's rusted in place, and won't budge! Any suggestions?
ArtechnikA
PB Blaster soak, followed by a pin punch the exact size of the hole, and a 3-lb bronze hammer over a solid backstop (with a slot to allow pin movement).

i hate pedal cluster work...
bondo
Bwahaha. Air chisel with the pointy attachment got it loose in .5 seconds IPB Image
bondo
That was a short lived victory.. now the pedal is stuck on the shaft.. grr!
Gint
LOL! Sorry man, but that was funny. I hope you get it apart.
Rhodes71/914
Dude i've been there, struggled for a weekend on and off to get that pin out. Once I did I couldn't get the pedal off, finaly took it down to a mechanic that I know and they had no luck. It was like the pedal just fused to the other part.

I eventually got another cluster from a donar car and it came apart fine.

Good luck.

BTW I still have the first pedal cluster, you can have it if you want. IPB Image
bondo
Woohoo! Victory! (again.. I made sure to get it completely apart before decaring victory this time)

I used LOTS of heat, and twisted with the pedal as hard as I could, eventually it broke loose and made an awful noise. I was afraid it might turn a tiny bit, gall up and be stuck forever.. but with lots of wd40 into the hole and gradual turning, I got it to turn freely. By this time I had hammered on the shaft enough to mushroom out the end.. so I had to pound the pedal further onto the shaft, and file around the end of the shaft. Then with a little twisting it came right off.

I was about to give up, but I didn't tell the pedal cluster that IPB Image

Thanks for the encouragement!
skline
Stuff like that I do the easy way, Contact Martin Baker and have him ship you a fresh rebuilt pedal cluster and send him your old one. Doesnt get much easier than that.

IPB Image Yup, some things I just dont want to mess with.
lapuwali
A few weekends ago, it took ppickerel and I about an hour at his very well equipped shop to get the friggin' pin out of my pedal cluster. Tried hammering, an actual press, and then finally did it with mill vice.

I also had to use a puller to get the pedal off the shaft. Once I put the pedal back on (and I had to hammer it on, despite a good wire brush job to remove rust), I just used a bolt and nut to hold it, rather than another roll pin.
bondo
Speaking of pedal clusters, I remember a while back someone said the roll pin that comes with the bronze bushing kit breaks.. and they mentioned a source for the right one. I can't remember the source, or find it in a search. Anyone remember?

Perhaps I'll just do the bolt and nut thing, if I can find the right size bolt without threads on most of it.
John
Speaking of pedal clusters, I remember a while back someone said the roll pin that comes with the bronze bushing kit breaks.. and they mentioned a source for the right one. I can't remember the source, or find it in a search. Anyone remember?

Perhaps I'll just do the bolt and nut thing, if I can find the right size bolt without threads on most of it.

I can affirm this. About 15 years ago, I rebuilt a pedal cluster in my silver car. At the time, I was still in school and one day I went out got in my car, pressed on the clutch pedal and the damn pin broke into 3 pcs. The temporary repair was accomplished in the parking lot there at the engineering building. I had to line up the broken parts of the pin and punch them out in place. (MAJOR PITA)

I then used a bolt and nut we found in one of the engineering labs to get home. I put the original roll pin back in and it has been there ever since.

As I recall, the original roll pin was almost a solid coil, where the one supplied with the pedal bushings had a fairly large void in the center (not as many coils).
mharrison
I may be lazy, but I dropped mine off at a machine shop. Picked it up the next day for $10 and they gave me a new roll pin for the pedal. Easy $10 for me to spend....
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 26 2005, 08:30 PM)

I got mine from the Porsche dealer, I think it was 80 cents or something like that.
DJsRepS
Idea?? if the void in the aftermarket pin is the prob just fill the void get a snug fitting drill bit and tap it in the center with some lok tite for good measure. Might work huh? Im a rigger from way back. Lack of cash made me that way. Im still using a fishing leader for my gas cable.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 26 2005, 11:16 PM)
...with lots of wd40 into the hole and gradual turning...

get some real penetrating oil. PB Blaster, Würth, Mouse Milk, *something*

WD-40 is neither.

CorrosionBlock has a VERY effective penetrating oil carrier and helps prevent rust & corrosion at the same time ...
scruz914
QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 26 2005, 09:16 PM)
I was about to give up, but I didn't tell the pedal cluster that IPB Image

Always a good idea to keep a cool head and not to let your car parts know your frustrations! Some of those guys will be a pain just to see how quickly you will give up.
double-a
you know, i've heard over and over how hard this is, but my pin just came out. i locked the pedal arm in the vise, grabbed a small hex bit and used that plus a hammer to punch the pin through. it was tight but came out in about 20 seconds. IPB Image

~a
bondo
It's done!

(it was such a pain I just had to share)
bondo
While I'm at it: IPB Image
Rhodes71/914
Looks good.

It was so nice when I got my rebuilt cluster in and the brake pedal actually came back after being pressed down.
Eric_Shea
Someone's been bitten by the POR-15 bug... IPB Image
IronHillRestorations
There are those who think I'm over doing it by recommending that you also replace the springs while your at it.

Last time I stocked up on pedal cluster parts (about three years ago) the clutch pedal spring was around $20, and the brake pedal spring was around $7. Even if it cost you $40 to replace the springs, you'll think that was money well spent if one of those breaks six months from now!

Of course I'm all over that "as long as" thing.
bondo
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Jan 29 2005, 08:57 AM)
Someone's been bitten by the POR-15 bug... IPB Image

Hehe, you're the one that inspired me IPB Image

As for the springs I sandblasted and inspected them, and they aren't pitted at all. I'm hoping they will last. But if one breaks 6 months from now it will be easy to fix because the pedal cluster won't be in the car yet! IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.