Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: dodge intrepid V6 conversion??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
heck914
Anyone ever seen / heard of / or have pictures of 914 with a Dodge Intrepid V6 drivetrain?? after looking closely at one , and taking a few measurements, i was thinking it could be a decent (and cheap)donor for a 914. the complete engine and auto transaxle. I know having an auto trans would be a little "wussy" but it would be different. 1 hurdle (beside the electrical lol)would be geting some sort of custom half shaft to mate the transaxle to the hub/swingarm.
scotty914
go suby and get an auto tranny for a fwd only. bolt up with just a little fabing, tranny designed for the motor etc etc. 165 stock hp on the suby 2.5 l. and it looks like it belongs there.

quick ? is the dodge a transverse motor
skline
I think it could be doable but why? The Intrepid is a POS in the dodge, why would you want to put it in a 914? The idea is reliability. Chrysler lost their reliability back in the mid 70's. I actually thought about a conversion using an Audi 5000 automatic transmission. The question on the hub mating was what held me back from trying it. I think it would be cool to have an automatic in a 914. It would be great in traffic.
scotty914
when i do scotts tool wench ( teri )'s car it will be a suby engine and tranny

althought the audi tranny looks very nice for swaping
morph
i totally agree with skline i owned a 97 dodge intrepid it was a great car but had big problems.the only reason it lasted 175 thou miles was because i was gear head.
did you know the heads leak from the factory?
(3.3-3.5L) i can go on and on about what the techs and the local dodge dealership told me about the 2.7/3.3/3.5
the 3.5 the water pump inside the block.and all of them have no provision on the block for a dizzy,the motor is totally computer controlled.so you need the complete compter system to go with it.all of it including systems you prob wouldnt need,just to make it work right.but on a plus side the motor was alot more relable after 01. IPB Image
james
nebreitling
WHY????!!! IPB Image IPB Image
xsboost90
when i was a mechanic i did nothing but replace auto transmissions in intrepids all day long, and mini vans. It may have had something to do w/ the lousy radiators w/ tran, oil and antifreeze in one intermingling, but still not the best. Now a boxster drive train....although they had problems too so get the "s".
TheCabinetmaker
My daughter, against my advice, traded her Gran Prix on an Interpid. It was a big mistake. It's a total POS! Tranni has been rebuilt twice in 6 years. Requires constant bleeding of the cooling system. They even put a bleeder valve on the thermostat housing as an after thought. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!
heck914
I have also know about some tranny problems too. But the tranny wouldnt work nearly as hard pushing a car around that weighs almost 1000 pounds less.
cooling issues can be dealt with as you would need probably 2 bleed off points anyway. (front of car and engine) I agree about the electrical. There would be lots of circuits that wouldnt get used.
Just thought it could be a relatively cheap different project.
Mueller
It's been done...sorta, not sure if he has it running yet or not...some guy back East...he built a subframe to attach the new motor/tranny combo to.

we had an intrepide for a few years...it was a fun car to drive for it's size, but we traded it in at 80k miles due to too many little problems....none of which would be an issue in a 914...

there will be just about 0 support for you unless you can hunt down the guy that did his conversion...about the only thing anyone here can give you known good advice would be the cooling system which can be run just like all the V8 Chevy conversions....
AZ914
Hey, doesn't the Intrepid have a tiptronic?
ninefourteener
I don't see how this is possible. The Dodge Intrepid has the most peculiar engine/tranny setup I've seen in a long time.

The engine sits in the car like a rear wheel drive car..... the plugs are on the sides, NOT in the front and back......... Yet the car is Front wheel drive.

Which means the tranny in an Intrepid is kinda at a 90 degree angle.... or something.. I dunno. Maybe thats why Dodge had a shitload of recalls on the transmissions in those cars.

How could you use a 90 degree angle tranny? Whether you're using a front wheel drive subaru engine, or a rear wheel drive buick V6 or Checy V8..... the transmission has to be a "conventional" transmission. The transmission is centered on a 914, so with an Intrepid tranny, the engine itself would either be way on the right, or way on the left side of the car (depending on engine rotation) and throw the balance off...... so much for great handling.

Perhaps you could use an Intrepid engine..... but I don't see how you could use the tranny.

But then the question is: Why would you want to??
Mueller
I don't see how this is possible. The Dodge Intrepid has the most peculiar engine/tranny setup I've seen in a long time.

huh??

I don't know what you have been smoking? IPB Image

looks just like the 914 engine/tranny combo in how it's setup

here is the engine:
Mueller
and here is the transmission...you can see where the tranny mates to the engine....you can also see the drive axles are 90° from the centerline of the engine...just like the 914 motor/tranny combo....
Mueller
yes, there is a drive for the axle on the other side of the transmission....

looks like a tall engine, anything can be made to fit, but it might not be as cheap as you would like due to custom parts that'll be required...
banderson
I heard that the '99 Acura TL had a longitudal engine layout with a Tip tranny. Probably similar to above. Never seen one but thought about looking into it for ha-ha's.

I would take an Acura V6 over a dodge.
Mueller
I would take an Acura V6 over a dodge

same here...the Honda and Acura V6's are dirt cheap as well, there is no real demand for them, all the hot-rod Honda guys stick with the 4's so the V6's just collect dust.....
aircooledboy
To lead the hijack further astray: IPB Image

I was at my buddy Stef's shop today, and he had a 6 out of a Lexus on the engine stand and I couldn't help but think: "damn, that's a little block, the sucker oughta fit nicely in a 914 IPB Image "

IPB Image IPB Image
scotty914
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jan 27 2005, 12:20 PM)
I would take an Acura V6 over a dodge

same here...the Honda and Acura V6's are dirt cheap as well, there is no real demand for them, all the hot-rod Honda guys stick with the 4's so the V6's just collect dust.....

mike i thought you learned your lesson with v6 engines, suby engines are stolen designs from porsche and vw any way and fit perfectly

and i think i could do another one in 40 hrs in a shop setting, if someone else built the engine bar, currently i have 4 hours in modifing the engine ( flipping the intake and stuff ) 12 hours spread out over 2 weeks on the harness. the radiator setup should take 4 hours complete, total cost about 1200 plus engine.
Mueller
mike i thought you learned your lesson with v6 engines, suby engines are stolen designs from porsche and vw any way and fit perfectly

I learned the hard way..the darn VR6 engine is still sitting in my garage IPB Image

no plans in the near future for a swap IPB Image
scotty914
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jan 27 2005, 04:29 PM)
..the darn VR6 engine is still sitting in my garage ...

go sell it to alfred he is supposably still doing the vr6 thing
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.