Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hello, new member
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
altitude411
So this is where you crazy fuchers are hanging out? evilgrin.gif
To be honest (last time) I've been lurking for a couple of weeks since finding this site and just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.... I've owned a six for 30 years or so but it's been buried in a storage unit for a majority of that time. I have a garage now and am planning on rustoring it as soon as my hand heals from an accident I had earlier this year. The car is an original six VIN914043281 that was originally signal orange. I bought it in '87 for something like 7k LOL. It had 74,000 miles on it but I don't know how accurate that is. It was candy apple red upon purchase and I painted it that color again after it was vandalized in SF. I don't have the original engine in it as it currently has a 911T.
I find this site amazing with all the info that is stored here and the wealth of knowledge I have witnessed in these last few weeks of reading. I will have some questions for you guys in the near future and will be needing some advise as I tear into this car. Anyway I just wanted to say hello and to thank you for the laughs thus far. I'll include some photo's... Redwoods in the early nineties and one of the car as it sits today after a car wash to get the rust regenerated.
type47
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Sep 21 2014, 11:11 AM) *

.... I don't have the original engine in it as it currently has a 911T.

welcome.png

Original engines in -6's were "T's"???

Verify your VIN, not correct length.

What do you have to do to it to rustore?
Mike Bellis
welcome.png
messix

well you can kinda count yourself in as a pnw teener even though you are on the wrong side on the divide.

nice looking car!

you'll need to get it running and make the next red rock classic.

welcome.png
ClayPerrine
I dig the hair!

welcome.png
Hine62
Nice car, welcome to the craziness!

welcome.png
altitude411
QUOTE(type47 @ Sep 21 2014, 01:14 PM) *

QUOTE(altitude411 @ Sep 21 2014, 11:11 AM) *

.... I don't have the original engine in it as it currently has a 911T.

welcome.png

Original engines in -6's were "T's"???

Verify your VIN, not correct length.

What do you have to do to it to rustore?

Humm... My first post and already getting told what to do. WTF.gif

LOL, sorry mis-typed the VIN 9140432481. I'm taking it all the way down for re-paint and going thru everything. It's been sitting for a long time. I have it almost completely stripped but had a surgery on my right (dominate) hand last tuesday. 3rd one this summer... headbang.gif
altitude411
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 21 2014, 01:25 PM) *

I dig the hair!

welcome.png

lol-2.gif Ah... yeah, that was twenty years ago....
SirAndy
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Sep 21 2014, 12:34 PM) *

We're good with this sort of stuff ...
biggrin.gif

PS: welcome.png
green914
welcome.png
76-914
welcome.png I gotta dig up my ol' Hippie pic's somewhere. I know I have one w/o handcuff's somewhere around here. happy11.gif
Johny Blackstain
welcome.png
abnrdo
welcome.png

Cant wait to see more pics!!
type47
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Sep 21 2014, 11:34 AM) *

Yeah, well answer the damn question about the engine sunglasses.gif

no offense or criticism meant; I did start my reply w/ welcome.png idea.gif Oh, and add your VIN to the database; upper right corner in "914 Info" and members VIN's. happy11.gif
Maltese Falcon
Is that color like a candy-red...I like those House of Color hues. But if you are going back to bare metal, then go original color for the value of your investment. welcome.png
Marty
messix
QUOTE(type47 @ Sep 21 2014, 02:10 PM) *

no offense or criticism meant; I did start my reply w/ welcome.png idea.gif Oh, and add your VIN to the database; upper right corner in "914 Info" and members VIN's. happy11.gif

he said he's been lurking for quite a while so if he gets offended by all this ...... sheeplove.gif lol-2.gif
altitude411
QUOTE(type47 @ Sep 21 2014, 03:10 PM) *

biggrin.gif All good my friend... I know that in time my sarcastic attitude will shine thru... or get my ass kicked. I am not exactly sure about the engine size or anything except I know it was fast. I once received a ticket for 140mph and had more to give. Where can I find the imprinted case # on the block and is it readable without removing any parts as I'm layed up at the moment.

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Sep 21 2014, 03:29 PM) *

Is that color like a candy-red...I like those House of Color hues. But if you are going back to bare metal, then go original color for the value of your investment. welcome.png
Marty

Yes it's a true candy paint. I'll probably keep the color as I have no plans to sell. I've held on to the car thru the hardest times in my life. I'm taking it with me when I go!

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I really appreciate it and glad I found you bastards....This place is amazing. Its really helping me pass this down time and I've learned more about these cars in the last two weeks than I have in the past 30 years. Thank you to all that post here.
PanelBilly
Welcome

cpavlenko
welcome.png
Cairo94507
Outstanding! And.... welcome.png

If you do not already have a COA (Certificate of Authenticity) from PCNA, you may want to pony up the $100 or so to obtain one to very the engine number your car should have and see if it is still in the car. You may also get the original transaxle number off the COA but sometimes not.

My Six is undergoing a full restoration with some minor changes to make it a suitable driver now. Check out my thread if you have not seen it already:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=188776

Welcome again and take your time deciding how and what to do to your car.
shelby/914
welcome.png Great looking car as it sits.
altitude411
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 21 2014, 07:07 PM) *

Outstanding! And.... welcome.png

If you do not already have a COA (Certificate of Authenticity) from PCNA, you may want to pony up the $100 or so to obtain one to very the engine number your car should have and see if it is still in the car. You may also get the original transaxle number off the COA but sometimes not.

My Six is undergoing a full restoration with some minor changes to make it a suitable driver now. Check out my thread if you have not seen it already:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=188776

Welcome again and take your time deciding how and what to do to your car.

Just read your build thread, thanks for the link. your car is going to be amazing.... gold? shades.gif

QUOTE(shelby/914 @ Sep 21 2014, 07:41 PM) *

welcome.png Great looking car as it sits.

Thanks shelby, man there are some [i]seriously gorgeous cars on this site. Very inspirational. Talented metal workers for sure.
EdwardBlume
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png
w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif
JawjaPorsche
welcome.png
KELTY360
welcome.png

Where are you in Montana? Looks like east of the Divide. I think I'm one of the few that's actually driven their 914 in that incredible state.
Cairo94507
Altitude411- Yeah, that's what we like around here, jump right in. Of course it is going to be gold............
ar15.gif
altitude411
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Sep 22 2014, 06:47 AM) *

welcome.png

Where are you in Montana? Looks like east of the Divide. I think I'm one of the few that's actually driven their 914 in that incredible state.

Good eye! Yes, I'm in the southwest corner of the state near Yellowstone park, you know, the part of the country where there is no rust dust....
mgp4591
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Sep 22 2014, 07:48 AM) *

welcome.png

Good eye! Yes, I'm in the southwest corner of the state near Yellowstone park, you know, the part of the country where there is no rust dust....

Next trip to the BoZone I'll have to say hi! bye1.gif AND welcome.png
altitude411
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Sep 22 2014, 08:02 AM) *

QUOTE(altitude411 @ Sep 22 2014, 07:48 AM) *

welcome.png

Next trip to the BoZone I'll have to say hi! bye1.gif AND welcome.png

Absolutely, bring your welder.gif and your sawzall-smiley.gif and I'll supply the beer3.gif
I love southern Utah, so beautiful. I lived in Provo for about a year and a half while working in a lab for a mining adventure. I am looking forward to driving.gif the six thru more of the state when it is finished. Thanks for the welcome...
KELTY360
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Sep 22 2014, 06:48 AM) *

welcome.png

Here's a picture of some NoRustDust at Cooney Resevoir, between Laurel and Red Lodge. My brother drove his Westy from Boulder, CO and I drove the 914 from Renton to meet there for the start of a 10 day camping trip. Guess I should start my own thread on that expedition....it was only 5 years ago.

Click to view attachment

ConeDodger
welcome.png
Mr.242
Welcome out of the storage closet, 914-6..... huh.gif
pcar916
Welcome! piratenanner.gif
Drums66
.....WELCOME.......
bye1.gif
flippa
welcome.png
campbellcj
welcome.png
altitude411
Thanks for all the hospitality gang. much appreciated after the news from the PT today. It seems the right hand won't be doing [i]any work on the six for at least a couple of months.... mad.gif Oh well, more time to read up on you nut jobs and admire your beautiful rides. I was going to do a build thread but after reading some/most, it seems they either end in a divorce or stall out and get sold! I guess I've got the 'teener curse, put the car on j/stands then Murphy kicks you in the nuts and everything takes ten times longer than you expected it to. It's only a flesh wound? I need to reduce the size of the car progress photo's to be able to post them. But it seems I'll have plenty of time to figure [i]that out... headbang.gif

That incision looks as bad as some of you guys' welds.... (DR. Evil!)
KELTY360
barf.gif

Ouch! That is grotesque. Worst part is, to kill pain in your fingertips you've got to deaden the whole rest of the body. Good luck with the recovery; hope you don't lose any function.
altitude411
Yeah, ugly stromberg.gif .... I hope I don't loose my hand model contract... sad.gif
Phoenix914
It's just a flesh wound... blink.gif

There is no destination in 914 ownership. There is only the journey, with milestones along the way. The faster you go, the quicker the milestones pass by, but there is always another one ahead.

Welcome to the journey. beer.gif
altitude411
...so I can drive as fast as I want and I'll [i]never get there? Dig it! piratenanner.gif
KELTY360
Yeah, it's like if you're standing facing a wall and you step halfway to the wall and then you step halfway again. If you continually go halfway to the wall, you'll never reach it. blink.gif
struckn
Actually what I have learned over the last 64 years is simply this,
THE SLOWER YOU GO THE FASTER YOU GET DONE.

beerchug.gif welcome.png
altitude411
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(struckn @ Sep 24 2014, 06:16 PM) *

Actually what I have learned over the last 64 years is simply this,
THE SLOWER YOU GO THE FASTER YOU GET DONE.

beerchug.gif welcome.png

Can't argue with 64 years of know how! I am under way.... pic for proof> everyone's must have of tar board removal. I immediately found a problem w/passenger inside long. Crunching noise when I tried to loosen seat belt.... I can't believe I have rust! lol-2.gif
FourBlades

Good luck with the resto.

That is a nice looking car.

These cars are so worth saving.

Most people never FINISH their cars but they do get to where they can drive,
autocross, and/or race them as they go. There is always more to do but that
keeps the adventure alive.

John
bigkensteele
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Sep 23 2014, 09:26 PM) *

Yeah, ugly stromberg.gif .... I hope I don't loose my hand model contract... sad.gif

So, can we assume you weren't the master of your domain? jerkit.gif

Great car and story. I think that you are going to fit in around here.
welcome.png
altitude411
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Sep 27 2014, 06:38 PM) *

QUOTE(altitude411 @ Sep 23 2014, 09:26 PM) *

So, can we assume you weren't the master of your domain? jerkit.gif

Great car and story. I think that you are going to fit in around here.
welcome.png

LOL now that's funny... And Thanks, I think....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VSDTMUVSL4
altitude411
Question; are these fuzzy strips in the door pressure fit, glued or just rusted in? What's a good way to remove them? Can I put a flat blade screw driver in the channel and hammer it down to remove? smash.gif It seems pretty solid (stuck)

Any vendors carry these? TIA
SirAndy
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Oct 16 2014, 03:14 PM) *
Question; are these fuzzy strips in the door pressure fit, glued or just rusted in? What's a good way to remove them? Can I put a flat blade screw driver in the channel and hammer it down to remove? smash.gif It seems pretty solid (stuck)

3 Screws if i recall correctly. They're tiny and easy to miss ...
smile.gif
altitude411
Humm... Andy, are the screws under the fuzz? The fuzz seems like it's glued in place? confused24.gif

*edit, I see 'em now... three screws thru the three holes in the door panel! Thanks Andy. This site is the best!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.