Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheels and Flares To The Max
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lucky9146
Recently purchased 74 abandoned 914-6 conversion project with Professionally fitted factory PN steel flares. Much work is done including conversion to 5 lug. Car currently has Fuchs 16" 7's & 8's. Car is in Build & have 3.0 close to ready to go in so has never been driven by me. Plan to autocross. Hope to move 8's to the front. My question is will Fuchs 9's fit the rear with the flares? Would I need to do something to make it happen? Does anyone know anybody who has actually done this? I'm a new member so appreciate any help. Thanks!!
JoeSharp
I believe so as I have 8's under my narow body car. You will probably need spacers.
Lucky9146
Thanks Joe, I am considering buying 9's.
SirAndy
You need to get the right offset for them to fit as 9" is a tight fit. Not all 9" wheels are made the same.
smile.gif

Unfortunately, i don't recall the correct offset for those wheels ...

PS: welcome.png
914dave
I have 9 x 17 Lindsey wheels with the 911 turbo 9 x 16 Fuchs offset and they fit with 245 tires. They actually have more inboard offset than the 911 8 x 16 Fuchs. So you can space them to get the optimum fit. There are wheel offset charts posted on Pelican that are helpful with the comparison. There are others here that have run the 9 x 16s, hopefully they will chime in. Good Luck Here's a pic of the Lindseys mounted.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
welcome.png

I have 9x16 under my flared car.

9x16 ATEV, early offset, ET15
Click to view attachment

8x16 with 3/4" spacer (1986 944 Turbo early offset, ET23 I think)
Click to view attachment
madmax914
Here's a chart that shows the offset and back spacing.

http://members.rennlist.com/911pcars/wheelwts.html
effutuo101
where are you at? I have a 9x17 and 8x17 you can test fit depending on where you are at.
d914
I believe the et has to be a 15, et15.

had 9's on my old car
ConeDodger
I have custom built 8.5"X16" Weidman Wheel built Fuchs on my car. Harvey knows the exact offset needed to fill the factory flare completely as there isn't a bit of room left.
Also, your factory flares have a different flange than the reproduction flares. The reproduction has a 1/2" or so of flange that has to be trimmed if you are going to get real wide...

Side view from above... Original Customs installed the flares and there isn't a bit of room left in the rear.
Lucky9146
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Sep 23 2014, 10:46 AM) *

where are you at? I have a 9x17 and 8x17 you can test fit depending on where you are at.
Poway and if you are in Lemon Grove we are not far apart.
Harvey Weidman
Lucky,
When going from the 8X16 to the 9X16 Fuchs added the 1" width by adding (about) 3/8 to the outside and 5/8 to the inside.
They USUALLY fit but there is some difference on where some fenders are welded on smile.gif
I always check before purchase.
The big question isn't weather they will fit or not but have you looked at the available tires? DOT-C are mostly the specs....not too many "streetable" tires....
225/50s will work but they are pretty stretched out.
And you know 9X16s look just like 8X16s from the outside so you'll be losing the stagger look.
You may find the tire selection, looks, price and fit to out weigh wider wheel impulse.
HTH
H
rick 918-S
16 X 8 and 16 X 9's 255's on the rear. They are phat!

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
I have 15x9's with old 245/50-15's , one side fit ,one side needed alot of work..Factory Flares, installed by AA.
eric9144
welcome.png
Welcome, I'm right up the hill near Mt Woodson, work in Poway beerchug.gif
EdwardBlume
I want 16 x 8s and 9s for the ABM! cheer.gif cheer.gif
Madswede
I also have Fuchs 16x9 in the rear under flares. They are AA repro flares, though.
chads74
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Sep 22 2014, 09:56 PM) *

I believe so as I have 8's under my narow body car. You will probably need spacers.

Joe, is your car going to be there for tropical ramble? I want to see how it is set up.
Elliot Cannon
Back spacing is about 5 1/2 inches. 9X17
effutuo101
PM me, you are more than welcome to swing by and give mine a test fit!
Btw. Welcome and this thread is worthless with out pictures!
JRust
I'm running 16x8's on all 4 corners & love the look. I really prefer the 16x8's over the 16x9. The dish is just so much deeper on the 9's. I don't see the benefit of a 9 over an 8. You'll fit the same tire on both. So for me I'd rather run 8's front & rear. I like the 951 16x8's too as the offset is great
Lucky9146
Suggestion was made that pictures help so added pic of my car. As mentioned before it is still a roller. This is how I got the car. Flares and awesome paint job! Got some work to do before engine can go in. Thanks to all that have replied so far it has truly been helpful to this newbie. This is a great site! (still learning the site thanks for your patience)
iamchappy
9'S
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 24 2014, 10:36 AM) *

I'm running 16x8's on all 4 corners & love the look. I really prefer the 16x8's over the 16x9. The dish is just so much deeper on the 9's. I don't see the benefit of a 9 over an 8. You'll fit the same tire on both. So for me I'd rather run 8's front & rear. I like the 951 16x8's too as the offset is great

How expensive are the 16 x 8s?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.