Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: squeekie top
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
ive heard glycerine works but where do you source it?
PanelBilly
Ear wax
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Sep 23 2014, 11:23 AM) *

Ear wax

blink.gif barf.gif
mgp4591
Honda (and I believe other Asian manufacturers) use a product called Shin-Etsu grease, non petroleum and doesn't stain (important for interior warranty work) and it silences squeaky window rubber, hatch rubber, door rubber etc. It ain't cheap but a tube would last me a year, working on Hondas constantly. Not every car needed it but a little of this stuff goes a long way and doesn't deteriorate your seals. You can use the extra for hair gel... lol-2.gif
rhodyguy
Rite Aid, Wallgreens, etc...last time I bought it Rite Aid in a medium bottle for pretty cheap. Skip the glycerin in capsule form.
TravisNeff
Baby suppositories
BeatNavy
As attractive as the baby suppository solution sounds, you could also go to 914Rubber and replace your rear seal with the one Mikey sells that doesn't squeak. I use that one and have no roof squeaks. Or I don't think I do. It's been a couple of weeks since I drove with the top on...maybe I'm just forgetting.
rhodyguy
not the for babies version. it comes in a plastic bottle in liquid form.
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Sep 23 2014, 12:55 PM) *

As attractive as the baby suppository solution sounds, you could also go to 914Rubber and replace your rear seal with the one Mikey sells that doesn't squeak. I use that one and have no roof squeaks. Or I don't think I do. It's been a couple of weeks since I drove with the top on...maybe I'm just forgetting.

agree.gif
Johny Blackstain
biggrin.gif
100% guaranteed not to squeak or leak:
Elliot Cannon
You should make your signature a little bigger so we can all see your political comment. poke.gif av-943.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 23 2014, 11:16 PM) *

You should make your signature a little bigger so we can all see your political comment. poke.gif av-943.gif

beer.gif just added that yesterday- thought i set it for a"6" was not intended to be that big, but i guess it does the job, piratenanner.gif - kind of fits, doesnt it poke.gif

edit- its been adjusted a bit smaller, so now you dont have to scoll down to read the whole quote wink.gif
JeffBowlsby
The tops squeek for two reasons:

1. The metal to metal interface between the retractable 'hooks' and the 'pegs' mounted to the top need isolation or lubrication. I use a small piece of heat shrink over the 'pegs', lube is too messy. Some use small thin pieces of plastic/rubber/vinyl tubing, but it has to be thin wall material for the hooks to engage the pegs.

2. The rear top seal is rubber to metal, where as the original has a felt liner to isolate the surfaces. The cheap repro rear seals don't have the felt and they squeek, be sure your seal has a felt isolator in good condition.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Sep 23 2014, 06:52 AM) *

ive heard glycerine works but where do you source it?

Take a closer look at the contact points on the top of the Targa bar and lube them first...pay attention to the "bumps" that locate the latches....they were the culprit on mine....I put some teflon tape on them.
rhodyguy
A couple of pieces of adhesive backed felt in the recesses cures the squeeky top standoffs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.