Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help 101
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ratfink12
Some direction please.

25 years ago I bought a 911sc. I got a great list of to do's ...chain tension ears, air box, clutch etc.

I am now excited to pick up a '75 2.0 914. Body and interior good. Drive train original ...I think.

I have read seemingly a million blogs...either too granular or broad. Is there some 914 101 publication I should buy or some great wizard I should contact for enchantment.

My objective will be killer looks close to stock, but prudent functional upgrades.

Thoughts...please.
76-914
welcome.png Buy a Haynes Manual and the rest of your req'd. info will be right here.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 24 2014, 07:03 PM) *

Buy a Haynes Manual and the rest of your req'd. info will be right here.

agree.gif and welcome.png

Be patient, take stock of what you have, and enjoy the process. Good luck.
rick 918-S
welcome.png Lots of build threads and friendly people here on world. My advise, strip sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif that 911 donor and build welder.gif a kick ass 6 conversion.

BTW: many of us call 911's donors. biggrin.gif We like to see the engine put in the middle of the car where it belongs. german01.gif
effutuo101
and pictures, we like pictures...
welcome.png
KELTY360
The best way to get opinions around here is to say something stupid and wait for the enlightenment.
scotty b
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Sep 24 2014, 04:24 PM) *

The best way to get opinions around here is to say something stupid and wait for the enlightenment.

Or say something enlightened and wait for the stupidity mellow.gif

Oh yeah, welcome.png unsure.gif
Mike Bellis
welcome.png

The is the best resource for anything 914. Better than any book!
balljoint
QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 24 2014, 08:29 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Sep 24 2014, 04:24 PM) *

Or say something enlightened and wait for the stupidity mellow.gif

Oh yeah, welcome.png unsure.gif

rolleyes.gif
messix
some good info on the "bird" http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914world.htm , most supplied by guys that are on this site
Cairo94507
welcome.png This is one-stop shopping for anything 914. Seriously, if you run into an issue that has not already been seen here and discussed I would be amazed. Enjoy and welcome to the nut house.
Johny Blackstain
welcome.png driving.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 24 2014, 04:03 PM) *

welcome.png Buy a Haynes Manual and the rest of your req'd. info will be right here.

Really? You actually think so? Haynes is pretty much what's out there, but it's really not all that good. Asking good questions here is gonna be of a lot more value.

The Cap'n

For the OP. Welcome to the asylum! welcome.png
PanelBilly
Post some photos and describe your problems. we'll tell you what to do

wel
come
r_towle
Expect lots of stupid and worthless comments from Canada
balljoint
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 24 2014, 09:20 PM) *

Speaking of which, when are you going home? slap.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(balljoint @ Sep 25 2014, 10:32 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 24 2014, 09:20 PM) *

Speaking of which, when are you going home? slap.gif

Funny, we went north to the land of French to be totally underwhelmed last weekend.

Montreal, while a cute little city, pretty clean, was just zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Gotta say I like the Toronto area better.
EdwardBlume
Enlightenment comes from doing. Assess the rust, then the running condition, and then decide to drive or restore. Take your time on each project, manage your dollars, and connect with people who know what they are doing!
Dave_Darling
agree.gif What Rob said!! Make sure it's in good solid condition, drive it, then figure out where you want to go with it! The only "it would be a really good idea to..." things on a 914 are:

- Replace your fuel hoses. They get brittle over time, or weak, and can leak. A high-pressure fuel leak directly over a hot engine is not something you really want happening. In general, you should think about replacing them every couple of years or so, especially if you're in an area that mandates ethanol in the fuel.
- Inspect the fuel lines that come out of the center tunnel. If they are brittle, consider replacing them with stainless hard lines. Racer Chris here makes a set, and others do as well.

Apart from that, check out the rust and inspect where the suspension attaches to the car. Make sure things are generally in good condition and not falling apart. Make sure the brakes are working. Replace all the fluids to reset the counter on that. Do a valve adjustment, replace the ignition tuneup bits, and so on. Basically the stuff you'd do with any used old car.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.