Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.7 with solex and carbs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike D.
Looking for someone who has run a 2.7 with carbs...
Like it says, are the stock CIS 2.7 pistons a good match for solex cams and Webbers?
I looking to build a driver, good midrange, 3-6k rpm, no High HP, 9k rpm, airplane fuel race car...
Yes, I know, "go read the books", well in the modification sections for both Andersons and Patricks book's, they don't refer to a slightly modified 2.7.

-Mike D.
Mike ,

You have to cut the valve pockets on the cis pistons ..the solex cams have too much lift.

To my knowledge,the most you can get away with is a 'T' cam

Good luck IPB Image
Cap'n Krusty
You can use the European pistons with "conventional" tops, but you'll still have to pocket them for valve clearance. A good Porsche experienced machine shop will know what to do. Try EMS near LAX. The Cap'n
Eric_Shea
Why not the ever so popular set of RS P&C's?

Should be a good 210hp with the solex cams. Very drivable.
J P Stein
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Jan 27 2005, 09:36 PM)
Why not the ever so popular set of RS P&C's?

Should be a good 210hp with the solex cams. Very drivable.

Aye, that is, but about 2500 bucks for another 40 real hp.
That's cheep in some circles.
DJsRepS
Im surprised Jake did not jump on this thread. Cutting pistons and what cam to use sounds like his cup of tea.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (DJsRepS @ Jan 28 2005, 07:22 AM)
Im surprised Jake did not jump on this thread. Cutting pistons and what cam to use sounds like his cup of tea.

Jake "doesn't do 6's" :-)
Root_Werks
If you have a decent 2.7 already, I wouldn't touch it. Just put the carbs on, dail them in and be happy. You start putting solex cams in there, notching pistons etc and soon you will have a $6k 200hp 2.7 when you already had a 180hp 2.7 without messing with it. If it is an "S" motor, you already have the S cams, even in CIS form, they are not bad cams at all. Just my opinion. IPB Image

Example:

Know two people with 2.7's, one had it rebuilt, bumped compression, used SC cams, kept CIS. Friggen great driver. Runs perfect, plent of punch.

Other 2.7 person had builder put in 2.8 P/C's, solex type cams, bump compression ect. Carb'd engine, much more tempermental, still easy to drive, but not much more hp than the 2.7 at all and he spent a lot more $$$ on his engine. The law of diminishing return.
Mark Henry
QUOTE (Mike D. @ Jan 27 2005, 09:15 PM)
airplane fuel race car...-Mike D.

Why???

av gas uses a different octain rating system...IMO your just wasting your money.

Buy real race fuel, mix it with pump gas if you want, whatever.....
Root_Werks
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Jan 28 2005, 06:24 AM)
QUOTE (Mike D. @ Jan 27 2005, 09:15 PM)
airplane fuel race car...-Mike D.

Why???

av gas uses a different octain rating system...IMO your just wasting your money.

Buy real race fuel, mix it with pump gas if you want, whatever.....

A buddy of mine who has a few planes will run AV fuel through his cars (Porsches adn VW's all air cooled) before putting them away for the winter. He says the fuel doesn't go bad. He also said it doesn't burn as well as pump gas. IPB Image Said that was a mis-conception about AV fuel in cars. It burns slower so you can bump your timing harder, but that is about it. Can anyone else confirm this? I have no reason to doubt this guy. IPB Image
Eric_Shea
Aye, that is, but about 2500 bucks for another 40 real hp.
That's cheep in some circles.

Nope. About $750 used in very good shape. There were a ton of those kits manufactured. Same price as a good set of Solex cams and less than Webers are going for these days... I though he was playing ball in that park. IPB Image

no High HP, 9k rpm, airplane fuel race car

I think he said he didn't want a "High HP, 9k rpm, airplane fuel race car"
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Jan 28 2005, 09:52 AM)
He also said it doesn't burn as well as pump gas. ... It burns slower so you can bump your timing harder...

that is just about the textbook definition of octane rating.

higher == more resistant to combustion.

i've even backed down from the premium i run in the summertime to midgrade.
starts better in single-digit temps and makes more heat.
Cap'n Krusty
Hey! For a mere $16-18K I can build you a nice 275-300 HP 2.7! Somewhat driveable, scary fast, should last a while ........................... The Cap'n
J P Stein
I had a 73 911,CIS 2.7L (PO swap). Nice but compared to my present 2.7L 914 (200 lbs lighter) ...powerwise, it's no contest ....not even close. A friend has a Webered 2.7L , 68 911....same deal.

I didn't factor in a 700 buck set of P/Cs., but...
300-500 for Solex cams
200-250 for a top end rebuild kit
100-150 for tools.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.