Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sad day for this 918 owner
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Elliot Cannon
Lots of arrogant "I would never do anything that stupid" attitudes among us. av-943.gif
Chris H.
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Sep 30 2014, 01:43 PM) *

Willie Wonka! confused24.gif

av-943.gif

I've only seen a tiny snippet of this movie and know it's totally wack but for some reason this image keeps popping up when I think about the 918 incident.

Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
That's a lot of male eye lashes!
dlkawashima
Gene Wilder + Malcolm McDowell = ...

IPB Image
stugray
If he was not in the car when it caught fire, then it wasnt starting the engine that did it.

Is that a Rabbit Fur scarf he is wearing over a sweater?
Humidity really low, just spilled gas all over your car and then spread it around with a rubber squeegee to promote evaporation.....

Recipe for Static Discharge...
type2man
From the gas station footage it looks like he did put the nozzle back because I dont see it attached to the vehicle while he is cleaning the spill, so maybe he's not that much of a dumbass and the car was designed wrong.
naro914
^^ Agree. Look at the pictures in post 36 and 37. Fuel nozzle was clearly put back, he was cleaning gas spilled off the side of his car (with a window squeegee!!)

Very well could just have been that he spilled gas and it ignited. Maybe overfill, maybe carelessness, maybe design flaw...
Rand
Wonder what this does for the ratings of Dragon's Den.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(naro914 @ Sep 30 2014, 07:15 PM) *

maybe design flaw...

agree.gif People are stupid, including me biggrin.gif Might be best to find a way to either move the gas tank & filler up front or loose the extremely cool "fighter jet exhaust" sad.gif Too close to each other & kimshi happens.
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Sep 29 2014, 12:28 PM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 29 2014, 10:21 AM) *

QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Sep 29 2014, 09:06 AM) *

I never understand how this happens. I've filled up 1000's of times in my life and not once did driving away with the handle still in the car even come remotely close to happening .

I've grown up in Oregon & lived here most my life. We don't pump our own gas. I did this once in a rental car in Vegas. Started the pump & went inside to grab a drink. Came back out & got in the car & started to pull away. Heard something so stopped. I'd gone all of 6 ft but the handle had popped off like they are made to. I got out embarrassed as hell. It's never happened again but it is possible. I can only see it from someone who doesn't pump their own gas. Oregon is weird that way

Oregon has too many stoners to have people pumping their own gas... smoke.gif

:Qarl:ya never know.
Olympic 914
Little OT but here is some bad design for you
Its a Renault R10, and a rear engine with the fuel tank between the passenger compartment. notice the fuel filler cap right next to the distributor cap.

French confused24.gif

I NEVER left anyone else fill it up.

It was a fun little car though

Click to view attachment
Porschef
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Sep 30 2014, 04:03 PM) *

QUOTE(championgt1 @ Sep 30 2014, 01:43 PM) *

Willie Wonka! confused24.gif

av-943.gif

I've only seen a tiny snippet of this movie and know it's totally wack but for some reason this image keeps popping up when I think about the 918 incident.

Click to view attachment

A Clockwork Orange...still a crazy flick after 43 or so years shades.gif

What an unfortunate occurrence.
914_teener
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Sep 30 2014, 10:28 AM) *

The lucky survivor+short time 918 owner, no it's not Chevy Chase !
A well known Toronto biz. man.Click to view attachment

Seriously.......

this is the guy Marty?

edwin
They didn't use a gt3 oil pump did they?
ripper911
QUOTE(Porschef @ Sep 30 2014, 08:12 PM) *

A Clockwork Orange...still a crazy flick after 43 or so years shades.gif

agree.gif pat.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(914_teener @ Sep 30 2014, 07:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Sep 30 2014, 10:28 AM) *

The lucky survivor+short time 918 owner, no it's not Chevy Chase !
A well known Toronto biz. man.Click to view attachment

Seriously.......

this is the guy Marty?

According to the postings that I've been reading in other forums, some from that local Toronto area...that IS the gent.
No affiliation to the Stanley Kubrik movie though rolleyes.gif
Porsche has a bunch of uncalled for 918s at the moment, wonder if this episode will drive some buyers away, or sweeten the poison.
After last year's loss of Paul+Roger in the CGT, those cars are now trading hands at $500k+, which is higher than pre - crash prices.
veekry9
Click to view attachment

After purchasing the 918 spaceship to get to Delta 9 he merely had to fill up.
Now using a squeegee to clean the spilled fuel off the paint,whoops....fire!
fuel vapors ignite,ruining the day.
how often do these fires occur?
statistically insignificant in all probability.
semi automatic fire suppression at self serve fuel outlets?
what fire safety vendor wouldn't want a contract like that?.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ_8hioUsXE

fuel=fire suppression infrastructure
granted there is no such thing as perfectly safe.
some days it's gonna blow up real good.
what is the threshold for fuel fire safety?

Click to view attachment

video taken among the headstones

Click to view attachment

Like the guy now deceased, "I think I'll have a smoke at the rocket factory"
Woody
Just for what its worth, the fuel door wont even open unless the car is turned off. On the 918, since it is a hybrid that does not run the engine all the time, a different type of fuel vapor recovery system is required. On a normal car the fuel tank vapor is vented to the carbon canister and the intake manifold. On this car, since it can drive awhile without running the engine, the tank is designed to hold pressure from the fuel vapors. When you fuel the car, it has to drop the pressures in the tank before the lid will even open.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Woody @ Oct 1 2014, 05:27 AM) *

Just for what its worth, the fuel door wont even open unless the car is turned off. On the 918, since it is a hybrid that does not run the engine all the time, a different type of fuel vapor recovery system is required. On a normal car the fuel tank vapor is vented to the carbon canister and the intake manifold. On this car, since it can drive awhile without running the engine, the tank is designed to hold pressure from the fuel vapors. When you fuel the car, it has to drop the pressures in the tank before the lid will even open.

Ow, my head hurts after reading your thorough explanation. I can condense it for others... it go boom. av-943.gif
7TPorsh
My guess is he was cleaning up the spilled gas and when he went to put the squeegee away it had gas soaked in it.

Those things drip. So very easy to fling some droplets over the top of the car.

I still cant believe the tank is out back with the open exhaust. Engine, tank, elec motor all in back. What balances it, the batteries and elec motor up front. Seems to me the ideal spot would be like our cars.
Woody
There is a very substantial firewall in between the engine and fuel tank with all sorts of heat shields thrown in.
mepstein
QUOTE(Woody @ Oct 1 2014, 01:26 PM) *

There is a very substantial firewall in between the engine and fuel tank with all sorts of heat shields thrown in.

Never underestimate a persons ability to screw something up
blackmoon
Pimp daddy was really hot that night
Dr Evil
He looks like a less-old Mic Jagger
veekry9
Definitely making a fashion statement,but then,why would he give a ufch.
In this example"shit happens".Enzos have had similar fates under more humorous circumstances,it just didn't seem funny at the time to those involved.I guess that's what humour is,the hoisting of those poor unfortunates,even a tornado victim.
Nature of man to jest the other bastard it's happening to.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.