Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: For those of you running a MSD ignition
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stugray
I just ordered a MSD 6AL digital.

AND I recently purchased a variable timing light which I currently use to set my timing using the Flywheel zero degree mark.

NOW I hear that the variable timing light will not work with the MSD due to the multiple sparks.
I guess it throws off the light's ability to predict when the next pulse comes and firing the light "early" does not work correctly.

With this nice "feature" that I just learned I am absolutely AMAZED that MSD did not think to just have a switch so that you can disable the multi-spark feature so you can set your timing.

Anyone else find an elegant solution to this issue?

The only thing i can think of is to reconfigure the ignition to work the standard way for setting the timing then switch it back to the MSD.
What a PITA.

Of course some will say "why not just use a regular light and use the stock timing marks"?

That would be because I have a car with carbs, and I run at ~34 degrees advance at 3500 RPM.
And that 34 degrees should vary a few degrees based on my altitude.

I guess I can put new marks on the FW but measuring and marking with the engine in the car is also a PITA.

Kansas 914
QUOTE(stugray @ Sep 29 2014, 01:53 PM) *

I just ordered a MSD 6AL digital.

AND I recently purchased a variable timing light which I currently use to set my timing using the Flywheel zero degree mark.

NOW I hear that the variable timing light will not work with the MSD due to the multiple sparks.
I guess it throws off the light's ability to predict when the next pulse comes and firing the light "early" does not work correctly.

With this nice "feature" that I just learned I am absolutely AMAZED that MSD did not think to just have a switch so that you can disable the multi-spark feature so you can set your timing.

Anyone else find an elegant solution to this issue?

The only thing i can think of is to reconfigure the ignition to work the standard way for setting the timing then switch it back to the MSD.
What a PITA.

Of course some will say "why not just use a regular light and use the stock timing marks"?

That would be because I have a car with carbs, and I run at ~34 degrees advance at 3500 RPM.
And that 34 degrees should vary a few degrees based on my altitude.

I guess I can put new marks on the FW but measuring and marking with the engine in the car is also a PITA.

I am following this thread as I have the same situation. Car is running great now but tune ups are inevitable. Thanks Stu.
Jeffs9146
I have an MSD6al and used a variable timing light on my 3.0L-6 and it worked fine!
michael7810
My 30-year old Mac Tools variable timing light works with the MSD6.
stugray
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Sep 29 2014, 02:49 PM) *

I have an MSD6al and used a variable timing light on my 3.0L-6 and it worked fine!

QUOTE(michael7810 @ Sep 29 2014, 03:47 PM) *

My 30-year old Mac Tools variable timing light works with the MSD6.

Well maybe there is a chance it will still work, but a quick search shows that many people have trouble.

Two thoughts: Maybe if you set the timing at high enough RPM, the MSD goes into single pulse mode, and the timing light "should" work, or
Maybe the older variable timing lights (without microprocessors in them) work just fine.
I guess I'll see later this week, I have one of the newer timing lights (dactron CP7529)

And I also read mix results on whether the stock Tach will work with the MSD tach out signal.
What was everyone's result? A- works just fine, or B- requires a tach-adapter?
computers4kids
My harbor freight variable works fine with 6al.
wndsnd
You will newd a tach adapter unless you are running Tims worked over tach.

I have a new adapter you can have.

PM me if you want it.
stugray
Well I got the MSD installed and the timing light seems to work just fine.

However the Tach does not (as suggested above).
So I hope to take advantage of wndsnd's offer (PM sent).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.