Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: gas tanked can not be coated?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
buck toenges
The radiator shop just called and said they couldn't coat the inside of the gas tank because of a pan that is inside the tank. They said they couldn't get to the rust on the bottom of the tank and thus can't coat the inside. I assume you can coat the inside of the tank. help.
naro914
I've had two tanks coated... but mine were fairly rust free.
Old Yella
That's BS, I did mine with the por 15 kit. It took a few days. After using the marine clean and then the prep and ready it was perfectly clean. The only issue I had was the por 15 coating comes in a small can and I had to turn the tank for about an hour to get it all coated.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...14-club-10.html

QUOTE(buck toenges @ Sep 30 2014, 10:28 AM) *

The radiator shop just called and said they couldn't coat the inside of the gas tank because of a pan that is inside the tank. They said they couldn't get to the rust on the bottom of the tank and thus can't coat the inside. I assume you can coat the inside of the tank. help.

ConeDodger
I don't think there is a pan inside. There is a cylinder at the outlet to keep the gas from sloshing away in a corner and causing starvation.

I used the POR15 kit and got very good results. Looked very rusty when I started and like clean virgin metal when I got to the coating step.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 30 2014, 04:07 PM) *

I don't think there is a pan inside. There is a cylinder at the outlet to keep the gas from sloshing away in a corner and causing starvation.

I used the POR15 kit and got very good results. Looked very rusty when I started and like clean virgin metal when I got to the coating step.

agree.gif I also used POR15. Came out great. Here's the after. The before will frighten you and should not be shown in polite company. The cylinder is visible in this shot.
Click to view attachment
Jeffs9146
You can also use a reverse zinc plate methode to electricly remove the rust.

Electrolysis to clean a fuel tank
rick 918-S
I did the washing soda and battery charger method to clean mine. Worked awesome! No coating needed.
AvalonFal
Here's my before and during cleaning (Marine clean, wire bush and rattling some nuts and screws inside for a while). Been over 3 years and no leaks or fuel problems.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
bdstone914
There is a divider baffle at least on the layer tanks with the plastic expansion tank. Might make cleaning more difficult.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.