Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My latest product idea
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ChrisFoley
With all the enhancements available for our shift linkage, there's still one thing no one has ever addressed.
Adjusting the rotation so all three shift planes are where they belong relative to the lever assembly has always been a PITA, and is even more difficult with a Rennshift due to the small opening to access the pinch bolt.
In addition, installing a more precise shift linkage assembly, like we all crave, makes precise adjustment even more critical.

There should be a way to maintain alignment of the tunnel rod with the fork under the shift lever, and make precisely controlled rotation adjustments in a minute or less.
An idea I've had on the back burner for a long time has finally reached the prototyping stage. idea.gif

I'm going to test a replacement Fork piece (914 424 171 01) machined from billet that incorporates a worm type adjuster against the splines of the tunnel rod.
If it works it I believe it will be a game changer. smilie_pokal.gif smoke.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 1 2014, 10:03 AM) *

With all the enhancements available for our shift linkage, there's still one thing no one has ever addressed.
Adjusting the rotation so all three shift planes are where they belong relative to the lever assembly has always been a PITA, and is even more difficult with a Rennshift due to the small opening to access the pinch bolt.
In addition, installing a more precise shift linkage assembly, like we all crave, makes precise adjustment even more critical.

There should be a way to maintain alignment of the tunnel rod with the fork under the shift lever, and make precisely controlled rotation adjustments in a minute or less.
An idea I've had on the back burner for a long time has finally reached the prototyping stage. idea.gif

I'm going to test a replacement Fork piece (914 424 171 01) machined from billet that incorporates a worm type adjuster against the splines of the tunnel rod.
If it works it I believe it will be a game changer. smilie_pokal.gif smoke.gif

popcorn[1].gif
Dave_Darling
Ooooh, that sounds mighty tasty!!!

--DD
Woody
popcorn[1].gif
mepstein
I have no idea what part you are referring to but put me on the list for one
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 1 2014, 12:42 PM) *

Here's a solidworks model to help identify the part I'm referring to.
Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
I have been mulling this over for years as well, and only recently started collecting stuff to mess with it. Looking forward to seeing what you develop and your data smile.gif
tornik550
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 1 2014, 01:42 PM) *

me too
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 1 2014, 01:24 PM) *

I have been mulling this over for years as well, and only recently started collecting stuff to mess with it. Looking forward to seeing what you develop and your data smile.gif

I should have a "proof of concept" part in hand sometime tomorrow.
If it functions as expected I'll make a full prototype right away.

My original idea centered around an add-on piece that clamped to the rod but I think the current direction is much more elegant and will provide really easy adjustment.
wes
I must say it never cease to amaze me all the great people who continue to invent new ways to improve our already great old cars! Many thanks to you and all the others! Oh Ill be watching for a release date.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 1 2014, 02:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 1 2014, 01:24 PM) *

I should have a "proof of concept" part in hand sometime tomorrow.
If it functions as expected I'll make a full prototype right away.

My original idea centered around an add-on piece that clamped to the rod but I think the current direction is much more elegant and will provide really easy adjustment.

Always thinking smile.gif

That reminds me, I need to get one of those oil pressure kit thingys from you in the near future wink.gif
EdwardBlume
I had a Rennshift pop off at an autocross and it was tough getting it back in then tougher to line up. My fingers hurt after trying to get into the tunnel! Should be a good product!
Matt Romanowski
Cool!
stugray
Seems like a great idea!

However, couldnt the adjuster go on either end or even in the middle?
Wherever it is cheapest to reproduce the part with the mods I guess.

I am picturing a worm gear like a hose clamp with no slop and a locking screw of course.
bigkensteele
So, you really think that you are smarter than the engineers that gave us an unsealed battery sitting over a crucial structural component of the car, yet under a hole that water can enter freely?

You truly believe that your ideas could be better than those that gave us foam in the rear quarter taillight area and trunk lid frame?

Of course those guys probably had two beers at every lunch, so you can't expect them to get everything right.

Looking forward to see how this works out.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Oct 1 2014, 07:39 PM) *

So, you really think that you are smarter than the engineers that gave us an unsealed battery sitting over a crucial structural component of the car, yet under a hole that water can enter freely?

You truly believe that your ideas could be better than those that gave us foam in the rear quarter taillight area and trunk lid frame?

Of course those guys probably had two beers at every lunch, so you can't expect them to get everything right.

Looking forward to see how this works out.

Good point... av-943.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Oct 1 2014, 09:39 PM) *

beerchug.gif

I've had the benefit of 30 years experience with what they created, and more than a few deep contemplations on the various "mistakes" made by the factory. smoke.gif
So if I actually do make an improvement that doesn't necessarily mean I'm smarter. shades.gif
worn
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 2 2014, 04:23 AM) *

beerchug.gif

I've had the benefit of 30 years experience with what they created, and more than a few deep contemplations on the various "mistakes" made by the factory. smoke.gif
So if I actually do make an improvement that doesn't necessarily mean I'm smarter. shades.gif

Oh, no. Here you are mistaken. Yes it fuching well will! A worm screw to angle the assembly. What could be more elegant? We might say out of kindness that the engineers thought of this and were told it was over budget. Or we might say something else. Well done!
r_towle
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 2 2014, 08:23 AM) *

beerchug.gif

It's possible that 30 years later, the local micro brew industry around your shop is better than the Stuttgart beer was back in the day.

A simple explanation.

If you are interested, I would be more than happy to give you my car to go from meh, to install all you bits for testing and trial....of course I would pay for the stuff....
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 1 2014, 11:17 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 1 2014, 12:42 PM) *

Here's a solidworks model to help identify the part I'm referring to.
Click to view attachment

Great thinking ! smile.gif Where does this part fit ?
Mblizzard
Once again, Chris is going to get more of my money. Love this concept after struggling with adjusting mine for so long.
Java2570
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Oct 2 2014, 06:55 PM) *

Once again, Chris is going to get more of my money. Love this concept after struggling with adjusting mine for so long.

Damn, you're right about that! I've already been thinking about those cool pushrod tubes!
ChrisFoley
The first thing I tried didn't work well enough (too delicate) so after a little searching on the internet I found some components which I think can be readily adapted to my concept.
Here's an updated model showing the worm and gear pieces in the assembly.
Support for the worm hasn't been modeled yet.
I intend for the gear to be a light press on the splined shaft so it will act as a fore-aft locator, yet not rotate independently of the shaft - that is if I can successfully broach the id of the acetal gear with a piece of the splined shaft.

Click to view attachment
Mblizzard
So ready for this item!
SKL1
add me to the "list"... had that same issue adjusting the rennshift on both my '14's...
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 3 2014, 03:42 PM) *

The first thing I tried didn't work well enough (too delicate) so after a little searching on the internet I found some components which I think can be readily adapted to my concept.
Here's an updated model showing the worm and gear pieces in the assembly.
Support for the worm hasn't been modeled yet.
I intend for the gear to be a light press on the splined shaft so it will act as a fore-aft locator, yet not rotate independently of the shaft - that is if I can successfully broach the id of the acetal gear with a piece of the splined shaft.

Click to view attachment

I was having trouble envisioning this until this pic. Super cool. Cant wait to see your functioning part thumb3d.gif
mepstein
I get it now. So this would compliment all the other upgraded parts by allowing you to precisely adjust the linkage. Nice!
Harpo
Very nice Chris. Sign me up

David
swood
Def interested
Krieger
I have always hated adjusting my shift linkage. This would make it really nice! Good work Chris!
ChrisFoley
First working prototype is ready for trial installation.

The nylon worm has a 3/16" allen socket molded into the top.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Hank914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 17 2014, 01:12 PM) *

First working prototype is ready for trial installation.

The nylon worm has a 3/16" allen socket molded into the top.

I like this! I just upgraded to side shift, and this is exactly what's needed.

Put me down if the list has started.
rjames

Couldn't agree more. Thanks for working on this!!

And I get the general concept of the design, but is the adjustment (in your prototype at least) made with the allen bolt? And if yes, what keeps the shift rod locked into position once the adjustment is made?
Java2570
That's pretty slick....definitely interested in one of those!
race914
I feel another 914 shirt coming

EDISON

TESLA

FOLEY

Mike1981
Looks great

Im in for one !

Mike
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(rjames @ Oct 17 2014, 01:21 PM) *
And if yes, what keeps the shift rod locked into position once the adjustment is made?

Looks like the bolt vertically through the coupler squeezes the coupler tight against the rod, just like stock piece. So that's what holds the adjustment, and the worm gear can provide fine adjustment after the pinch bolt is loosened.

--DD
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(race914 @ Oct 17 2014, 04:13 PM) *

I feel another 914 shirt coming

EDISON

TESLA

FOLEY

I'll take 3.
2 - XL, 1 - LG please
happy11.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 17 2014, 10:04 PM) *

Looks like the bolt vertically through the coupler squeezes the coupler tight against the rod, just like stock piece. So that's what holds the adjustment, and the worm gear can provide fine adjustment after the pinch bolt is loosened.

--DD

Exactly.
As soon as I install the prototype I'll take pictures to show more clearly how it works.
maf914
I am probably missing something, but why are two pairs of holes provided at the base of the shift lever attachment. A bolt is shown in the lower pair of holes. Is this a short shift option? idea.gif

Looks great Chris.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(maf914 @ Oct 18 2014, 01:30 PM) *

Is this a short shift option? idea.gif

You are correct sir! smile.gif
nihil44
Chris,

Why not go metric instead of 3/16". All of Porsche is metric. Perhaps consider 4,5 or 6mm.

Let's make working on our cars simple. What is simpler than metric?

David
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(nihil44 @ Oct 19 2014, 04:37 AM) *

Chris,

Why not go metric instead of 3/16". All of Porsche is metric. Perhaps consider 4,5 or 6mm.

Let's make working on our cars simple. What is simpler than metric?

David

I always look at metric options first, however I won't force the issue if it increases the cost.
Production volume of an item like this doesn't justify an investment in custom made miniature worm gear pieces.
This is what I found available - off the shelf - for a proper test of concept.

Until my order arrived I didn't even know a hex pocket was molded into one end of the worm body.
It simplifies the assembly compared to my original plan.

So far I'm very encouraged by the results.
Although the production component will undoubtedly be noticeably different from the prototype.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 21 2014, 07:46 AM) *

Cant wait to try this out!
Dr Evil
Fantastic! thumb3d.gif
SA-914
Wow! that is pretty cool!
blabla914
That's nice work Chris. More accurate and a heck of a lot easier than nudging that thing like 20 bazillion times.
ClayPerrine
IPB Image
sbsix
Chris, pardon my engineering ignorance but it looks like this would be a universal part for all 914s, including 914-6s. Is that right?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.