Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiring Harness - hard to find
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
Long story short. Local guy goes to boost his 75 VW Van. Hooks the cables up wrong, burns the alternator, voltage regulator and wiring harness. Almost looses the whole van. blink.gif
Found a new voltage regulator and alternator (only 55amp) but where can I find a matching harness?
This one has (3 plug connector to 3 plug connector) and large + wire but also has 2 extra wires at one end, (one + and one -) than my any of my 914's had. ???
Any one?
Cap'n Krusty
I may be able to get you one, but I'd probably have to find it in a boneyard and remove it from a vehicle. Major time could be involved. You have to have those 2 pigtails, and they're not (+) and (-). If you can't find one elsewhere, let me know.

The Cap'n
76-914
Go here https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/subaruvanagon/info then ask Tom (tomvanagon, the moderator) if he has one. He just completed his 486th VW Bus to Subaru converted harness so I'll bet he has shit loads.
smokey
High performance house
Red wood city .

Kinda pricy
914Sixer
Check theSamba. There is a person making new ones in the classified for vans and 914. I have a NOS 021.971.349D. It is a little different.
JeffBowlsby
Send your crusty one to me, I'll duplicate it.
tracks914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 3 2014, 05:08 PM) *

Check theSamba. There is a person making new ones in the classified for vans and 914. I have a NOS 021.971.349D. It is a little different.

Close but...
My 914 one has a shorter + cable to the starter.
tracks914
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 4 2014, 06:34 AM) *

Send your crusty one to me, I'll duplicate it.

I can make my own pretty easy, just was hoping to find on online...easier. smile.gif
tracks914
Well I took my 914 harness, spliced in the different wires from the VW van harness, installed the new voltage regulator and new alternator. Worked like a charm, then parked the van in the garage and pulled the battery for the owner. Tucked it in for winter.

BTW the longer power cable for the van (with an auto tranny), actually had a ~14" splice in it from the factory. Appears they used the basic 914 harness, added a couple of wires and made one cable longer. Who knew?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.