Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter Relay?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
I was working in the trunk on some rust issues and noticed 2 self tapping screws sticking up from below. This is what I found. I don't think it's supposed to be mounted like this. Where is it supposed to be?
CHAFF
Looks like a ford solenoid to me
scotty914
there is no starter relay on a 914, its built in to the starter. that looks like somebody was putting in a hot start relay, if your car starts with out it you can remove it.
bondo
Yeah, that's a ford solenoid. You don't need that much for a hot start relay. Ditch it and get a bosch cube relay with a little screw tab on the top. Then you can bolt it right on to the solenoid with one of the screws that holds it together.
SLITS
That's a cat crap/pisser hot shot shocker....if you had had it hooked up, the cats would have stayed outta the car.
Cap'n Krusty
We've been here just this week. The Bosch relay takes 10v or so to trigger, the Ford one takes down around 7 fior the 12v one and around 3 for the 6v one. I agree the mounting is not optimal. The Cap'n
Mueller
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 28 2005, 04:53 PM)
We've been here just this week. The Cap'n

yup...that is why I try to read or browse every single thread unless it's totally OT and has no value whatsoever IPB Image

I don't have a /6, yet I still read the treads related to /6 questions......etc...etc..nothing wrong with learning something people IPB Image
bondo
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 28 2005, 04:53 PM)
We've been here just this week. The Bosch relay takes 10v or so to trigger, the Ford one takes down around 7 fior the 12v one and around 3 for the 6v one. I agree the mounting is not optimal. The Cap'n

True, but if your voltage is dropping below 10v while cranking, something else is wrong.. And adding a "relay" that draws 4-6 amps won't help things IPB Image
DJsRepS
Loose the FORD parts!! Ouch! Your solenoid is on your starter. If its bad your starter would not engauge the flywheel. You dont need two solenoid's on your car. If the starter is off get it benchchecked and opened up cleaned and inspected Check diagram and wire it the original way. If no go then trouble shoot with the Form's help.
Mark Henry
Yep we just talked about it here

Don't knock it till you have actually tried it.
Allan
I have a new starter that I got for christmas so I think I'm just going to lose the relay and wire it back up like it's supposed to be and see how that works. Thanks for the info. IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.