Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheels don't fit!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brooks944
I bought some nice Rocket Racing 8 spoke wheels for the 75 914, and spent a bunch of hours stripping, repainting the inners and polishing the rims. Put the existing BFG 195 x 60 tires on and the fronts fit like a glove. Rears, no way. I don't think rolling the fender will work, what does everything recommend, get a new set of rear tires that are skinnier? Really don't want to go back to the ugly steel wheels that came with the car.

Thanks,
Rick
Bob L.
If they're like mine, the offset is different than the steelies. It pushes the tire out and limits what size tires will fit.

There are other wheels besides the steelies that should fit with that tire. Fuchs, Mahle's, Riviera's, Pedrini's to name a few.
mepstein
Sounds like bug spacing, not 914.
Sell the wheels, buy some with the correct offset.
Mike Bellis
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
brooks944
Yes these are probably bug spacing. What is your recommendation for finding wheels?
914itis
I have some rivieras for cheap if you need them

Pm me
sfrenck
Bug spacing works with negative camber on the rear wheels - take out a couple shims.
brooks944
Thanks Scott, that's exactly the advice I was looking for. Any reference for removing the shims?
sfrenck
Try this:

914 rear camber adjustment

Different brands of tires are also different widths - think BFGoodrich are some of the wider ones, unfortunately.

I can barely get my fingers between the tire and fender on my driver side, but it hasn't rubbed after a couple months of driving. Scott's 74 with ARE's
vw505
185-65-15 is as wide as I could go on mine.
messix
I've got 205 65 on old knock off 8 spokes, and rolled the lip and tugged the fender out some to get 1/4" clearance. oh and a bunch of neg camber
brooks944
Thanks guys. I've also read that the springs may be shot. What do you think? I thought the car looked lowered in the rear when I got it.
mepstein
QUOTE(brooks944 @ Oct 7 2014, 06:15 PM) *

Thanks guys. I've also read that the springs may be shot. What do you think? I thought the car looked lowered in the rear when I got it.

there's a goos chance the springs need replacement but that will not help the clearance issue. 2.0 fuchs fit 195x65x15 perfectly and usually work fine for 205x60x15. Mahle's also work well and usually sell a bit cheaper.
damesandhotrods
A lowered car is only going to be worse. The problem is you have the wrong wheels for your 914; most of the 4 lug wheels produced are intended for Beetles. I’d suggest the 914 World or The Samba classifieds. You’re pretty much stuck in the same boat as Karmann Ghia and Type 3 owners.
brooks944
Appreciate all the input. If I get new tires that are 185 instead of 195, think that will work?

Rick
ClayPerrine
Don't take the shims out. That is what sets the proper alignment on the rear wheels. Removing the shims will cause your tires to wear out quickly, and can cause the car to handle really badly.

I suggest getting wheels that have the proper offset for a 914.

rhodyguy
Do you need new tires? If not, spring for wheels that will work. You may find even 185s won't fit with your current wheels. Altering the alignment, and adding excessive neg camber, doesn't seem like the wise move.
TargaToy
Rivieras also come in beetle and 914 offsets so be very cautious if you consider trying them. The PO put the bug ones on my car and had to run 165's. And that looks horrible.
bigkensteele
It may be worthwhile to inspect the hub-mating surface of the wheel to see if there is sufficient material to be machined away. I doubt that the manufacturers did two different castings for the 914 and the Beetle/Ghia/etc. It may be as simple as taking your rims to a machine shop and getting 3/8" milled off the mating surface.

I would measure the distance between the mating surface and the bottom edge of the concave lug area. If that is over 1/2", I would say that you probably have room to do some resurfacing.
Johns914
I ran into the same issue with mine and running BRM flat 4 replicas. When I first started the drivers rear tire was outside the fender. After some massaging of the fender and a smaller tire and it fits just. A hard right hand turn and I get a slight buzz. I ended up with 185 bridgstone eagers.
brooks944
Thanks guys, I think I will start with 185's and see if they will work. Anybody have a tire recommendation?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.