Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Temperature
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rstover
I recently checked the timing and dwell angle. I took it for a test drive and the engine ran well , but I am concerned that this is to warm. The outside temperature was 90Click to view attachment
Mblizzard
This may help.

Click to view attachment
cwpeden
ohmy.gif mines never got above the 'T'.
Mblizzard
If it was not running warm before and you made any adjustments, I think you should recheck everything again. I have used the wrong mark and gotten the timing too advanced causing it to run way hot.
rstover
Thanks for the help. I purchased the engine about three years ago to put in the Bumblebee because I thought it was cheaper than a rebuild. I believe it was a 1973 engine that was rebuilt. It is probably likely that I have a 1973 sender going to a 1974 gauge. Because it is a 2056 and has modified parts I had concluded rightly or wrongly that I was going to need a auxiliary oil cooler. I did not want to put a cooler on the Bumblebee so have bit the bullet and am getting the original engine rebuilt. I wish I had the dip stick thermometer, to check but will hopefully have the original engine in before one could be obtained. Click to view attachment
76-914
That is where my '76 runs. Never a problem. Those VDO gages are about as accurate as a BB gun. Double check the temp at the sump w/ an IR thermometer.
RonnieJ
Wouldn't that be about 210?
Mblizzard
QUOTE(RonnieJ @ Oct 6 2014, 09:04 AM) *

Wouldn't that be about 210?

Depends on if it is a 120/150 or a 200 C sender.
stownsen914
You can also calibrate your combination pretty easily if you want to. Remove the sender, wire it up outside the car, and use boiling water (210 degrees F) to find where that indicates on your gauge.

Scott
rstover
Again I want to thank everyone who helps. I found a infrared thermometer at Gibsons. The brand is General and it is called the heat seeker. I took the car for a 10 min drive and got the temperature on the guage close to where it was in the picture, but not quite as high. I took several readings on the bottom of the engine and the temps ranged from 196.5 to 198.5.
76-914
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Oct 6 2014, 11:13 AM) *

You can also calibrate your combination pretty easily if you want to. Remove the sender, wire it up outside the car, and use boiling water (210 degrees F) to find where that indicates on your gauge.

Scott

That works well for checking the accuracy at 212F but I've found motor oil works better. It will hold temp better and can be heated to higher temps to check accuracy at the upper limits.

QUOTE(rstover @ Oct 6 2014, 04:46 PM) *

Again I want to thank everyone who helps. I found a infrared thermometer at Gibsons. The brand is General and it is called the heat seeker. I took the car for a 10 min drive and got the temperature on the guage close to where it was in the picture, but not quite as high. I took several readings on the bottom of the engine and the temps ranged from 196.5 to 198.5.

thumb3d.gif Now go run it for 30 min's and check it. It takes longer than 10 min's to "heat soak" the engine.
rstover
QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 7 2014, 10:10 AM) *

Scott

That works well for checking the accuracy at 212F but I've found motor oil works better. It will hold temp better and can be heated to higher temps to check accuracy at the upper limits.

QUOTE(rstover @ Oct 6 2014, 04:46 PM) *

thumb3d.gif Now go run it for 30 min's and check it. It takes longer than 10 min's to "heat soak" the engine.

OK hopefully will get time tomorrow
stownsen914
QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 7 2014, 11:10 AM) *

Scott

I was thinking of the case where you don't have another temp probe to measure your oil or water or whatever medium you choose (I didn't when I did mine). If you do have, then all the better.
rstover
I drove the car for about 40 minutes. The needle on the guage got almost to the red but stopped about a 1/8 in short of it. I felt that the car was as warm as it was going to get. I then shot several readings on the sump and they ranged from 214 to 220. Would this be reasonable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.