Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: weld in sway bar triangle plates?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson
whats the latest thinking on these. should they be bolted and welded in?

-steve
Mblizzard
For me it depends on how you will drive the car. If you are just a person that occasionally drives the car hard then bolt in is fine. If you are going to auto cross every weekend then you would want to weld and add some of Madddogs Motor Sports reinforcement mounts. Very nice stuff that works very well.
McMark
They only need to be tack welded so you can remove the bolts without the plate falling.
toolguy
Weld them in. . and I'd do a little more than just tack weld them. . .
I've ripped out the factory welded plates on 2 914's and 1 911 from
aggressive turns in slaloms and time trials. . .
Think about this. . if you're lifting a wheel in a turn, all that front force is on the sway bar mounts. . that's a whole lot of force. . more than a few hundred pounds. . and that sheet metal is relatively very thin.
messix
i believe that the factory welded them on. and they installed them on the outside in the wheel well.

i don't see any reason to do it differently than what some German engineers did...
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 5 2014, 03:32 PM) *

They only need to be tack welded so you can remove the bolts without the plate falling.

McMark posted a thread on installing a sway bar mount at one time... idea.gif
76-914
Weld 'em. You can't access the entire flange on the inside without major cutting so a large tack weld is all I could achieve.
ChrisFoley
Depends on sway bar size and the kind of driving done with the car.
Any track car with a larger than stock bar should have them fully perimeter welded.
A street car with a stock anti-sway bar is fine with them tack welded in place.

IMO those triangular plates have a poor shape for the location, and the plating will interfere with making quality welds.
siverson
thanks for the tips. i think ill just weld the edge as much as possible without cutting any more. this is for my stock 914-6 with 2.0 motor, street driven, 185 tires, tarrett 22mm sway bar.

-steve
arkitect
QUOTE(RobW @ Oct 5 2014, 04:10 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 5 2014, 03:32 PM) *

McMark posted a thread on installing a sway bar mount at one time... idea.gif

Can anyone point me to the thread mentioned here that McMark did?

Looking for picts of front sway bar install. thanks.

Dave
infraredcalvin
Not McMark's thread, but might be helpful...

http://www.maddogsmotorsports.org/uploads/...nstructions.pdf
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.